The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

On 3/22/2021 at 4:39 AM, Gorth said:

Eventually, a lack of skill will catch up with you no matter how good you are at marketing yourself.

Anyone still brave enough to hire D&D? (Game of Throne "writers")

They really got a bum rap. I mean they did some terrible stuff with A Song of Ice and Fire, but it wasn't any worse than what Martin has put out. I mean the first book was middling, the second book was better, and then the third book was atrociously written. Everything I have read about the subsequent is that they have gotten worse and more bloated. I'd argue they were faithful to the original work. Worse and worse as it goes along is an apt description of both the series and the books.

Also, the first season was certainly better than the first book.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I think DS9 made me appreciate a lot of characters from TNG more. Worf, O'Brien, Troi... I feel like I'm forgetting someone not named Tom Riker or Bitchayev.

Keiko? But... dunno, never cared much for her on either TNG or DS9.

Fixed that admiral's name for you, by the way. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

No, it definitely wasn't Keiko. Maybe there isn't another character and it just feels like I'm missing someone even though I'm not. The only other non-Q (and Vash) characters that I can think of are all Klingon and DS9 didn't change my opinion on Gowron, Lursa and B'etor, or Kurn. I take that back, it did make me like Gowron less.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 hours ago, majestic said:

I've pretty much done a complete 180 on Lwaxana Troi. I despised her and everything she was in. And then... I don't know exactly what happened, but she grew on me sometime in DS9, and after eventually rewatching TNG I found that I didn't mind her as much as I did. That episode with her having telepathy problems where she runs around thininking Picard has filthy thoughts about her cracks me up every time (Manhunt, second season, I think).

She's still in an awful lot of bad episodes, don't get me wrong. She just became a lot less annoying. Erp, like Chibi-Usa...

I remember having a different view of her character after the episode she is locked in an elevator with Odo.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I was all about Data, just like I was all about Spock.  Not that I didn't love Q and Picard too.  Almost everyone else just sort of faded into the background. Beverly had one or three good episodes, one really horrible episode and otherwise was just there.  One of the better Troi episodes (imo) was Face of the Enemy.  I think the actress was more effective/better ability showcased during such moments vs. the bland and neutral therapy/empathy role she was usually scripted into.  Plus how interesting can you make a variation of "What are you sensing?"  "I'm not sure." all the time? It was almost her version of "Hailing frequencies open".

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One of the things Marina Sirtis said in a few interviews/convention talks (and one of the reasons she pushed to get Troi put in a normal uniform) was that she noticed that the lower the cleavage the costume department had her wearing, the worse her dialogue from the writing team would be.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

16 hours ago, ShadySands said:

No, it definitely wasn't Keiko. Maybe there isn't another character and it just feels like I'm missing someone even though I'm not. The only other non-Q (and Vash) characters that I can think of are all Klingon and DS9 didn't change my opinion on Gowron, Lursa and B'etor, or Kurn. I take that back, it did make me like Gowron less.

Your favorite three quarters Klingon also shows up, Alexander. Although... I don't think you mean him either. :p

• Like 1

Snyder's Justice League.

More coherent tone throughout, not as dark and bleak as you'd expect from Snyder. The sheer amount of extra things made the various characters more developed, although it did leave the pacing a tad off. So, on the one point I'd rate it higher than the theatrical JL, but it really only works because it's this huge, extended, sprawling mass and not a 2-3 hour film. Then again, pretty much that last 20 odd minute epilogue feels like gratuitous fan-baiting more than anything else.

It's slightly disconcerting that Superman only has bright colours on in that "alternate evil/mind controlled" flash, and the rest of it is typical Snyder saturated darkness of the dark dark.

After numerous setbacks battle star Galactica reboot show runner leaves the project

Looks like this is dead and buried or at least very close to it. And probably just as well. I had a feeling it was going to be a hot mess.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am watching several exciting series  and new seasons that include FBI, Rookie, High Town, Law and Order (SVU ) and Walker

I also finished the TV adaptation of The Stand, based on the Stephan King book. Absolutely brilliant and highly recommended :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I meant to add I am also watching The Order, its very entertaining and has some interesting themes 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

THE PERFECT MATE (TNG)- Why can't the computer, which apparently can track every crewman, keep people who aren't part of the crew from traveling willy-nilly all over the ship? Why are there civilians on the ship (other than to have rowdys around for the one scene)? Tim O'Connor and Famke Jansen are good in their respective roles, and Picard and Beverly get some good scenes as well. One of the dramatic episodes that actually has some pretty decent drama in it.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

THE PERFECT MATE (TNG)- Why can't the computer, which apparently can track every crewman, keep people who aren't part of the crew from traveling willy-nilly all over the ship? Why are there civilians on the ship (other than to have rowdys around for the one scene)? Tim O'Connor and Famke Jansen are good in their respective roles, and Picard and Beverly get some good scenes as well. One of the dramatic episodes that actually has some pretty decent drama in it.

Fun facts, Famke Jansen was asked to join DS9 but declined, and Max Grodénchick auditioned for the role of Quark, but got to play Rom instead. :yes:

• Like 2

I love the baseball episode because Max is supposedly a great player in real life but his character, Rom, is worse than terrible so he plays left handed in the episode. He also sings terrible in an episode even though he's part of the DS9/Trek singing group.

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Obi-Wan Kenobi, entirely directed by Deborah Chow (The Mandalorian, Season 1), will begin shooting in April. The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Around Solo (2018).

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

" Imaginary Friend"  episode of TNG which is one or two more kid episodes from being rechristened Enterprise School for Children

Why did the producers decide that the viewers wanted to see the stories of the kids on the Enterprise? While strange to believe that's what someone would feel the show needed, at least this episode worked. Probably because the conflict wasn't really between a kid and the Enterprise crew with loads of psychobabble layered in. By making the primary conflict between the girl and the alien, the Enterprise crew managed to not look as bad as they did in previous episodes and the episode was fun, if minor.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not so much TV as something about a TV show, a youtube documentary showing the changes to Battlestar Galactica lore and how it changed over time from Glen Larson's original alien lizards wearing metal armor cylons to the mutation into being droids/mechanical lifeforms because of some restriction on body counts in TV, that you could show in the US at the time. It was quite interesting actually, seeing how they adapted to the circumstances. He (Larson) also introduced "humanoid" cylons to infiltrate the colonies a few decades before the new show.

Edit: I guess that would have made the original cylon concept the proverbial "lizard overlords" ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

This reminded me that there won't be a season 2 of the Dark Crystal. >:|

Really? **** netflix.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My daughter was watching Labyrinth yesterday and asked why they didn't make any more movies in the setting. I tried to explain to her that Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal for some reason just didn't do well at the box office. It is hard to explain when we live in a world where basically every kids movie is a massive hit. Poor Jim Henson.

• Sad 3