The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

The Justice League Snyder Cut is out today. Originally wanted to wait till weekend, but I'm probably going to dive into it this evening.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well some brave choices were made, I expected there to be some differences from Whedon's take...

EwwXFBSXAAAmrzF?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.slashfilm.com/king-of-the-hill-revival/

I did like KoTH, later seasons had some weird episodes - Peggy killing a guy, Chuck Mangione living in the Mega-lo-mart.  But nice and down to earth.  Not too sure a revival will be all that good, but eh. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Quote for the Day: "The Snyder cut seems to have made the film 100% longer by removing 50% of the colors."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Alrighty. I just made it through the Snyder Cut (credits are running right now).

First things first: The only thing I remember from watching the original is the feeling of emptiness and disappointment. Everything else is basically wiped from my memory.

That being said .... man, this movie was *so much better* than I expected. Crazy what you can achieve if you give your characters room to breath and develop their story. With very few exceptions I found none of the scenes wasted. Everything fit together nicely. Honestly, I don't really have much to complain about at this point. Did not fall asleep at 3/4 of it, which is a pretty big deal considering my track record with super hero movies. At this point I'd even go so far to say something super controversial ........ I liked it more than Avengers Endgame. Primarily because I *hated* the final CGI battle in Endgame. Marvel tried to throw every character they had into it, which resulted in everyone systemically getting 1 or 2 scenes and then you'd never hear of them ever again. With the 5 1/2 main characters in Justice League, this is never a problem.

Needed to get used to the 4:3 screen resolution at first, but later didn't even notice it anymore. Weird decision, but ok.

There is only one question I have right now.. After the ending..

Are we getting a Justice League 2 now?

That's all my thoughts about it for now.

Edited by Lexx
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

some scene get cut make sense

still too many slow motion

action scene work far better than other snyder movie

might be years more time and extra investment

now that movie can be patched years latter

maybe other failed cinematic universe will try it too

Whedon was brought in to finish the project, because at the time Snyders daughter committed suicide. It's not that there was a Snyder cut already and WB decided to just sit on it.

/Edit: Still, even if Snyder would have finished it, WB very likely would have insisted on a 2 or so hours version, simply to make more money in cinema. At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure some people and their weird decisions at WB are more to blame for the mostly bad DC movies.

Edited by Lexx

I mean, half the internet complained that DC movies are too dark. Also Marvel had success with their "lol so funny" superhero movies. So I guess they just tried to do the same with whatever they got.

That being said, similar to Mad Max: Fury Road there will be a black and white edition of Justice League. So in case the movie isn't dark enough yet, there will be more. 😄

Edited by Lexx
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the problem with many of the DC movies seems to be that they're conceived when the current zeitgeist is one thing, then finished when it's moved on to something else. Then it tests badly with audiences, and tinkering begins to hammer a square movie into round perceived audience appeal. So you end up with something like Suicide Squad, a disjointed non sensical mess that would almost certainly have been better either without or with much less tinkering. OTOH WW84 probably needed some more supervision to hammer out its issues, but didn't get it.

You probably have to blame the executives for that, since they're ultimately the ones in charge but it certainly is a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iirc whedon was brought in to add humour/ punch up the script (like he did on the 1st x-men film) and when Snyder had to step away, he was brought in to finish as he was already connected to the product. But he did extensive reshoots and changes (with studio approval who were worried about the tone and second guessing Snyder) to the plot. Supposedly he was determined to prove the criticism over the 2nd Avengers film to be wrong.

I think with everything that's gone on, including the Ray Fisher stuff, all the people who were in charge of DC movies, WB movies,  and the major producers are all gone (albeit I think Geoff Johns still works independently with WB, he's no longer with DC/WB.)

Suicude Squad supposedly tested well,  it was the response to the ad campaign that led to the ad company making an edit.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Was rewatching season 1 of HBO's Rome.  Still holds up - although the scenes of the scheming of the women characters isn't all that repeat watchable imo.  I think it's time for another series about Rome or something.  Not "HBO's Rome, rebooted" - just another good fictional production of that period. Especially if they had better/more battle sequences. But I'm biased because I tend to like those historical figures/conflicts in fictionalized form.  And battles.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Justice League was great. It was a completely different movie. I suppose I could have been a 6-part series or something, but really the 4 hours went by pretty easily. I hope we get another one, but it might be too late. This really made me enjoy Ben Affleck as the Batman, so I'm bummed he is out. The kid who played Flash also seemed to really benefit from the extra footage. Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa obviously have their roles locked up, so I can see them returning. Cyborg was a bit too serious, but that may because I love the Teen Titans version. Overall just a much more memorable film that left me wanting more.

Eventually, a lack of skill will catch up with you no matter how good you are at marketing yourself.

Anyone still brave enough to hire D&D? (Game of Throne "writers")

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 3/18/2021 at 2:02 PM, Lexx said:

Needed to get used to the 4:3 screen resolution at first, but later didn't even notice it anymore. Weird decision, but ok.

4:3 is because of IMAX.   If an IMAX release is planned they shoot for that, where the screen ratio is almost square (eg, tall) and thus closest to 4:3.  Then for the regular release they have to edit/crop it for the not-tall/square typical theater ratio.   Thus you are getting the director's original scene framing in those cases, which they may actually prefer. Maybe. It's what I've heard anyway.  :*

...edit: I haven't seen the movie, either the original or this Snyder cut thing (or the wonder woman movie, or....batman vs. superman was the only one I saw I think).  I'm mildly curious so perhaps one day but 4 hrs is a bit beyond my TV patience recently. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Cost of Living" TNG

Forgot to post here after watching it.  Lame B story that doesn't go anywhere and doesn't add any impact at all.  TNG really suffers from the A/B plotting I think.  Not because they use it, but they seem to insist on it when even when the A story is sufficient to be left alone.

The A story wasn't anything to write home about; TNG isn't typically at its best trying to be a family drama.  There are a few really good bits (this may be my favorite Lwaxaana Troi episode so far, simply because I hate the others, but here Lwaxana displayed a certain amount of savvyness usually lacking in the character which made the character more tolerable.  Nice final sting with Worf, Alexander and Lwaxana which was a better payoff than the episode deserved.  But Counselor Troi spouts psychobable child psychology (making a contract with a kid who is most likely too young to actually understand a contract or why it may be important or indeed what he needs vs what he wants? Huh?) and they waste Tony Jay entirely.  Bonus points for the grumpy assistant to Jay's character, though.  He was appropriately grumpy.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

43 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Lwaxaana Troi

Gesundheit!

Actually, I think I've seen this episode...I haven't seen all of the series, and what I've seen is patchy (i.e. not concentrated to any specific season), but I pretty much universally despised all Troi episodes, and I especially remember disliking the ones with her mother.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I misspelled her name, and then went to check it and had to fix it for every instance of the name, and still misspelled it.

• Haha 2

I've pretty much done a complete 180 on Lwaxana Troi. I despised her and everything she was in. And then... I don't know exactly what happened, but she grew on me sometime in DS9, and after eventually rewatching TNG I found that I didn't mind her as much as I did. That episode with her having telepathy problems where she runs around thininking Picard has filthy thoughts about her cracks me up every time (Manhunt, second season, I think).

She's still in an awful lot of bad episodes, don't get me wrong. She just became a lot less annoying. Erp, like Chibi-Usa...

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Worf is great. Worf's episodes are also just about universally terrible, but the character himself is good, :p.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.