The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

TNG: The Outcast

I didn't like the episode when it first aired. Time didn't improve it.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

TNG: The Outcast

I didn't like the episode when it first aired. Time didn't improve it.

y'know, frakes wasn't a terrible actor, but the tng episodes where he were the pivotal federation character were having a tendency towards terrible. 

nobody were ever gonna mistake picard for kirk. didn't need have picard make sure the audience knew he weren't kirk. after farpoint, you knew the enterprise captain were gonna be different than tos kirk. in the pilot episode, q parodies an over-the-top 20th century us military commander bit o' cliché jingoism to mock humanity. picard gets to be the rodenberry idealized opposite o' the military commander q is mocking. picard is specific designed to represent a change from the past-- a counter argument for both earth's past (our present) as well as a change from tos. 

riker didn't have that luxury. riker were the not-quite kirk character. when tng writers wanted an almost kirk, they gave the chore to riker, and so frakes got the angel one and outcast episodes.

or perhaps we read riker all wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://ew.com/tv/expedition-unknown-back-to-the-future-christopher-lloyd-deloreans-video/?

Christopher Lloyd — who played mad genius Doc Brown in the Back to the Future trilogy — is on a mission to locate the DeLorean DMC-12 that was transformed into a time machine in the beloved 1985 sci-fi adventure film. In the Discovery+ four-part series Expedition: Back to the Future, Lloyd teams up with Expedition Unknown host Josh Gates to track down the other versions of the dimension-busting car that made some serious s--- happen at the speed of 88 m.p.h., EW has learned.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Miss Scarlet and the Duke has been a decent historical drama series thus far. They've obviously gone out of their way to be inclusive in the modern sense, but the cast is good and the episodes have been enjoyable.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The Queen's Gambit. Yes, I'm finally watching it ten years after everyone else did*: through the first two episodes so far. Really great, although the first episode kind of threw me for a loop because I forgot that Anya Taylor-Joy was the lead star and not the little girl that dominates that episode, so that kind of sucked to see her just ripped out of the show since I would've been pretty cool with a story on just her, but it's fine.

Spoiler

Best line of the show so far: "Great, another ****ing brain." Because it's shameful to have functioning brains, people. All too increasingly real, too.

*In Coronavirus-Adjusted Time, of course (or CAT, if you will).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just watched the King of Zamunda 2. Pretty good movie. Honestly a much better representation of african culture than the stupid Black Panther movie was.

/Edit: I think the original title is Coming to America 2.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 3/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, Lexx said:

Yay, another superhero show. Yawn.

This too shall pass. 
Maybe. Someday. Probably before I'm dead at any rate.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Queen's Gambit. I'm through six episodes now, and have almost quit several times, but now that there's only one episode left, I suppose I might as well finish it. The first two episodes were the high points of what I've seen - a better mix of unpredictable darkness and some fun, sillier character stuff. Since then, it's just become an increasingly macabre misery where this predictable sea of mistakes is dominating everything that happens on-screen with nothing even approaching fun to balance it out. It's just too much: I figured this series would be dark, but I didn't expect utter bleakness. Chernobyl was somehow more lighthearted than this.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

lmao - in that case, I would also note that The Queen's Gambit really simply isn't as interesting as something like...I don't know, Breaking Bad or Dark, because it's a 7-episode miniseries where a lot of the show's time is spent on people who are unreasonably good at Chess, which fundamentally is just not all that interesting to me (especially because the show doesn't really meaningfully show the games themselves, but instead rather spends the most time on the emotions of the people playing - I started finding it repetitive and uninteresting after the first few times). But whatever, this show was loved and acclaimed, maybe you'll enjoy it where I didn't...but if you don't, don't say I didn't warn you.

Yes I wouldn't say it is perfect, but it had so much stuff that overshadowed the bad, that I'd say it is certainly a watchable movie. Especially if one likes the old Eddie Murphy stuff.

To be honest, to me it kinda feels like he is back now. Haven't seen a movie with / of him in probably 10 years, and now with Dolemite and this one, it's like a big return. Nice.

And also to expand on it again: To me this feels like it does to african culture what Black Panther tried to do and failed. Like ... Black Panther is just the usual Marvel movie, but they mixed drums into the soundtrack and had everyone dress up funny. Then this stuff about them being a superior civilization, but they are choosing their next leader based on some stupid 1vs1 duel. lol. If this is the africa that africans want... I don't know what to say.

Coming to America 2 on the other hand just took things as how they are and turned them a bit into a funnier light. Like this whole Wesley Snipes warlord stuff, which was totally overplayed, but at the same time is a very fitting african thing. There's more to this in my head, but I'm too much of a dum-dum to express them well at this point.

However, the tl;dr is still that despite cliches and riding on nostalgia, this was a refreshing experience to me (on that note, I had to take a break in the middle of Black Panther and continued watching it the next day, because I couldn't bear it anymore).

/Edit: Oh yeah, and Coming to America 2 didn't felt the need to include a token white guy either. At least I don't remember having seen one.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think the parts were supposed to be overplayed and I laughed out loud several times. But for some reason that I cant explain, it really popped my suspension-of-disbelief bubble when

they didnt even run a DNA check on the prince to confirm his bloodline.

Its definitely worth watching though. 👍

Yeah that part felt quite rushed. Guess they just wanted to keep the story going and not spend much time on that element.

TNG Cause and Effect

Fun Time Loop story (think Groundhog Day before that movie came out.) Weird to see Kelsey Grammar in such a bit part, and the episode doesn't seem to have an end so much as just stops.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

22 hours ago, Lexx said:

/Edit: Oh yeah, and Coming to America 2 didn't felt the need to include a token white guy either. At least I don't remember having seen one.

Well they did bring back Louie. :p

I had a blast with Coming 2 America. It was fun and the visuals were crazy. I don't even understand how they made Arsenio look like the Shaman. I've been listening to a bunch of Arsenio Hall interviews this last week and I am glad he is back too.

• Like 1