The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

TNG "Power Play" a good idea, but I think the episode could have been stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, Amentep said:

TNG "Power Play" a good idea, but I think the episode could have been stronger. 

I'm really tired of the concept, and every sci-fi series under the sun has its own version...

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I'm really tired of the concept, and every sci-fi series under the sun has its own version...

Yeah, it is overworked and I think its been used multiple times on ST.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Santa Clarita Diet is one best shows I have ever watched. 

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

SyFy put the first two episodes of that new sci-fi/comedy Resident Alien series on their YouTube channel.  I don't know if they'll put up any more, but I watched those.  And it's great. I mean, it's totally silly, but great.

To quote one of the top comments under the 1st episode:  "Alan Tudyk is an intergalactic treasure that must be preserved".  Such an adorkable hottie.
Also, he's killing it in terms of the fish out of water alien in human disguise mannerisms. The whole cast is pretty good, humor is right up my alley.  I hope they don't cancel it mid-season or something.  At least finish a full season first.  😄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

22 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

SyFy put the first two episodes of that new sci-fi/comedy Resident Alien series on their YouTube channel.  I don't know if they'll put up any more, but I watched those.  And it's great. I mean, it's totally silly, but great.

To quote one of the top comments under the 1st episode:  "Alan Tudyk is an intergalactic treasure that must be preserved".  Such an adorkable hottie.
Also, he's killing it in terms of the fish out of water alien in human disguise mannerisms. The whole cast is pretty good, humor is right up my alley.  I hope they don't cancel it mid-season or something.  At least finish a full season first.  😄

You just used "SyFy" and "good" in the same post.

You can bet dollars to donuts that it ends up being cancelled. :p

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Finished watching For All Mankind. This was great. It's an alternate timeline where the Russians get to the moon first and the space race doesn't end and eventually both Americans and Russians have a moon base each. A lot of historical footage used from the likes of JFK, Nixon and Ted Kennedy. They play on how the Russians had the first man in space as well as the first woman in space. The woman aspect is well done with the Americans playing catch up. And then it turns to the race to get a base on the moon first. The science is pretty accurate, even with the ice on the moon.

• Like 1

I noticed the show Billions popped up on Amazon Prime, so I tried it. It is a Wall Street Hedge Fund versus AG type show. It seemed pretty dramatic and both characters are clearly bad guys, but I was willing to try episode 2. But for some reason I kept getting an error on my roku. I tried resetting and nothing. So I decided to see if other programs worked, and the first thing in the 'similar shows' queue was called Black Monday. It was a Wall Street comedy with Don Cheadle. It hooked me from the first late 80's synth beat. I recruited my wife and we started watching that instead. 

So Black Monday > Billions

I am rewatching the Spartacus tv show. Just as a few years ago, I'm 100% sure this show was made for a specific male audience, if you get what I mean. 😄 I mean, sure there are naked women and such, but it's dwarfed in comparison to the amount of oiled, bare chested muscle dudes brawling with each other.

The CGI didn't age that well, imo, but it's still watchable.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

Finished watching For All Mankind. This was great. It's an alternate timeline where the Russians get to the moon first and the space race doesn't end and eventually both Americans and Russians have a moon base each. A lot of historical footage used from the likes of JFK, Nixon and Ted Kennedy. They play on how the Russians had the first man in space as well as the first woman in space. The woman aspect is well done with the Americans playing catch up. And then it turns to the race to get a base on the moon first. The science is pretty accurate, even with the ice on the moon.

I hope you didn't miss the after credits scene.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Since Kurzmann/ ST came up in the movies thread I feel compelled to say that the penultimate episode of Discovery S3 seems to have finally killed off my ability to watch. It sits there in my Netflix queue, forlorn and alone, waiting to disappear into the rubbish bin of half watched shows.

I wonder how Clarice is. Surely not a generic procedural that might as well use the initialism Clarice Starling Investigates, surely not.

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I hope you didn't miss the after credits scene.

Shame they never built that in real life, just if to see a really big rocket.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

23 hours ago, majestic said:

You just used "SyFy" and "good" in the same post.

You can bet dollars to donuts that it ends up being cancelled. :p

The critic reviews have been pretty positive overall ... hopefully they'll at least finish the first season. That's all I ask. tbh, I'm not sure Resident Alien would hold up for more than two or three seasons anyway - it's great initially but I could see it getting "old" before too long if they don't up the ante and tighten things re: plot/device content. A little more mystery/murder/mayhem and a little less sitcom, over time, for example.

SyFy once had some decent shows on their space for a while, like Battlestar, Eureka, and Stargate, but yeah ... maybe this could be the start of a new period for SyFy.  Edit: I still can't stand typing out "SyFy."

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

18 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Since Kurzmann/ ST came up in the movies thread I feel compelled to say that the penultimate episode of Discovery S3 seems to have finally killed off my ability to watch. It sits there in my Netflix queue, forlorn and alone, waiting to disappear into the rubbish bin of half watched shows.

Come on, do it. I know you want to see the dimensional gateway that is the Discovery turbo lift system. :yes:

TNG "Ethics". Possibly the best message/pure drama episode so far. The characters all acted within their character to generate the dramatic tension rather than what sometimes seem to happen where characters come into conflict because one or more characters seem to have forgotten who they were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

TNG "Ethics". Possibly the best message/pure drama episode so far. The characters all acted within their character to generate the dramatic tension rather than what sometimes seem to happen where characters come into conflict because one or more characters seem to have forgotten who they were.

episode woulda been very different with the sisko as commanding officer.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/frasier-revival-kelsey-grammer-paramount-plus-1234914269/

The “Frasier” revival has officially been ordered at Paramount Plus.

Original series star Kelsey Grammer will return in the title role in addition to executive producing. Chris Harris and Joe Cristalli will serve as writers and executive producers, with Grammnet Productions’ Tom Russo and Jordan McMahon also executive producing. The series will be produced by CBS Studios in association with Grammnet Productions, exclusively for Paramount+. The announcement was made as part of ViacomCBS’ investor day presentation on Wednesday.

“Having spent over 20 years of my creative life on the Paramount lot, both producing shows and performing in several, I’d like to congratulate Paramount+ on its entry into the streaming world,” said Grammer. “I gleefully anticipate sharing the next chapter in the continuing journey of Dr. Frasier Crane.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."