The TV and Streaming thread Series 4

Amentep

20 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Do you feel she has been unfairly treated ?

Not really, she got flak for posting crap in the past so that should have been warning enough.  Not like she will go poor because of this, either. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I recognize the bit of irony in posting this on an online forum, but you don't actually have to share your dumb political opinions online. You can just enjoy the big checks that Disney is cutting you while still voting for whomever or whatever you want. But I'm sure people will whine about 'cancel culture' or whatever because someone was held accountable over statements made to the entire world that nobody asked for. :wowey:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I recognize the bit of irony in posting this on an online forum, but you don't actually have to share your dumb political opinions online. You can just enjoy the big checks that Disney is cutting you while still voting for whomever or whatever you want. But I'm sure people will whine about 'cancel culture' or whatever because someone was held accountable over statements made to the entire world that nobody asked for. :wowey:

Absolutely. As long as it works the same way both ways. But it doesn't. People on the left routinely say stupid, ridiculous, and outrageous things but don't get held accountable in the same ways. And that is what bothers me on this issue (not this particular instance of it because I have no idea who this person is as I hate and strictly stay away from both social media and celebrities).

• Thanks 1

Maybe she can run for Congress from this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

26 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Alternatively, you can share them anonymously like the rest of us plebeians. But of course, if share you them anonymously, nobody knows who you are and you have no platform...but it does allow you to rant and rave to your heart's content and not get fired from your job for being a contemptible laughingstock. Pros and cons, really.

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Absolutely. As long as it works the same way both ways. But it doesn't. People on the left routinely say stupid, ridiculous, and outrageous things but don't get held accountable in the same ways. And that is what bothers me on this issue (not this particular instance of it because I have no idea who this person is as I hate and strictly stay away from both social media and celebrities).

Yeah, the left gets away with everything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

Kathy Griffin is one more recent example. 

28 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I agree.......weird but I agree with you :p

When you work for a private sector company, and especially a listed company,  or most public sector institutions you absolutely have a responsibility to respect the ethos of that company for a variety of reasons

If you want to say things in public that are against what that company stands for you should face disciplinary action and possibly dismissal. If you dont believe in the ethos of the company no one can force you to believe but then you cannot publicly undermine the institution. Privately its your own decision

And if you dont agree with this then you need to resign and find work elsewhere, its not that complicated  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Alternatively, you can share them anonymously like the rest of us plebeians. But of course, if share you them anonymously, nobody knows who you are and you have no platform...but it does allow you to rant and rave to your heart's content and not get fired from your job for being a contemptible laughingstock. Pros and cons, really.

Or even better, use someone else's identity to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I tend to agree, their are examples of offensive and controversial left wing  public comments and their is less public  reaction and media outrage from  some news houses .....especially now with Biden we will see more of this. Its not  a huge problem but it needs to be acknowledged and recognized in the interest of fairness and consistency 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But dont you think what she said is unacceptable especially  for anyone who is aware of the nature of what genocide means ?

Their is no genocide of Republicans, Trump lost the election. Its time to move on and accept it and stop with the hyperbolic comments and misinformation 

This:

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Not really, she got flak for posting crap in the past so that should have been warning enough.  Not like she will go poor because of this, either. 

I think there is a difference between being punished for saying something (even what she said now) and constantly provoking people on social media until you get punished.

One thing is to say you don't agree with pronouns or gender ideology. But it seems she was constanlty making jokes and provoking the people who complained about it. She worked for a company that cares about its reputation and image. So, like Malcador said, she should have seen this coming.

• Like 3

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Unfortunately some quasi-anon dip****s get a semblance of a platform to make youtube rants.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Yeah, the left gets away with everything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

To be fair that happened before most of us were born. If you want a more recent example, Nathan J Robinson was fired by is no longer writing for the Guardian for joking about US military aid to Israel.

https://reason.com/2021/02/10/nathan-robinson-the-guardian-israel-tweet-joke-column/

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

11 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Unfortunately some quasi-anon dip****s get a semblance of a platform to make youtube rants.

To be fair that happened before most of us were born. If you want a more recent example, Nathan J Robinson was fired by is no longer writing for the Guardian for joking about US military aid to Israel.

https://reason.com/2021/02/10/nathan-robinson-the-guardian-israel-tweet-joke-column/

Sure, it happened awhile ago. Of course, those people were persecuted by the government and served time in jail for their politics, so I'd still say it is fair to get a good chuckle out of the narrative that things are somehow worse today. They aren't. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hurlshot said:

Sure, it happened awhile ago. Of course, those people were persecuted by the government and served time in jail for their politics, so I'd still say it is fair to get a good chuckle out of the narrative that things are somehow worse today.

Oh I generally agree, I was attempting to preempt the argument I believed would come.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

53 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Sure, it happened awhile ago. Of course, those people were persecuted by the government and served time in jail for their politics, so I'd still say it is fair to get a good chuckle out of the narrative that things are somehow worse today. They aren't. 

So then because it happened a certain way in the past, it's okay for it to happen the other way today? If I had been alive during the McCarthyism era I would've very strongly objected to it and opposed it. So I am consistent, which ultimately is my point: people being consistent. It's certainly not an absolute situation, but the odds of you not being held accountable are way better for you (in today's America) if you are coming from the left than the right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

So then because it happened a certain way in the past, it's okay for it to happen the other way today? If I had been alive during the McCarthyism era I would've very strongly objected to it and opposed it. So I am consistent, which ultimately is my point: people being consistent. It's certainly not an absolute situation, but the odds of you not being held accountable are way better for you (in today's America) if you are coming from the left than the right.

It isn't happening the other way though. This isn't McCarthyism for Conservatives. She isn't going to go to jail for comparing liberals to Nazis. She lost her job on a kid's TV show.

As for liberals not being held responsible for their actions, I'd imagine Colin Kaepernick would beg to differ. Kathy Griffin also crossed a line. Honestly though it just isn't as simple as 'conservative = bad, liberal = good'. Hollywood is super weird. How the heck does Mel Gibson still have a career? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

She lost her job on a kid's TV show.

Whoa whoa. Mandalorian is a show for real men.

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

Whoa whoa. Mandalorian is a show for real men.

Yes, with laser guns, spaceships, and a cute little baby yoda.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXUflwVGaciuJaZYkwoW-

Baby Yoda definitely isn't getting cancelled. He could storm the Capitol Building and they would still keep him in the show. :p

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXUflwVGaciuJaZYkwoW-

Baby Yoda definitely isn't getting cancelled. He could storm the Capitol Building and they would still keep him in the show. :p

Shoot a man on 5th Avenue, I could. Be fired, I would not be.

45 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

She isn't going to go to jail for comparing liberals to Nazis.

While true, if you reversed the positions and looked at liberals who compare conservatives to nazis they certainly don't get fired for it. If they did the unemployment rate in the US would skyrocket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Netflix kept recommending a sci-fi movie called The Titan.  I ignored it for ages. Finally said what the heck and tried watching it.

I have no idea what I saw. It was both terrible and boring, something about mutating humans to survive on another planet. But it did have a few moments that vaguely reminded of The Fly (80's movie) in a sideways manner. I should watch that again, I don't think I've seen the full thing since the theater back when.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

It isn't happening the other way though. This isn't McCarthyism for Conservatives. She isn't going to go to jail for comparing liberals to Nazis. She lost her job on a kid's TV show.

As for liberals not being held responsible for their actions, I'd imagine Colin Kaepernick would beg to differ. Kathy Griffin also crossed a line. Honestly though it just isn't as simple as 'conservative = bad, liberal = good'. Hollywood is super weird. How the heck does Mel Gibson still have a career? 

I wouldnt classify Kaepernick a liberal, he is an activist who had one focus on the broad range of liberal and progressive objectives 

A liberal has to have progressive values, not just one thing and ignore others. He made several anti-white comments and generalizations  so that should immediately change your definition of him being a " liberal " 

You are liberal Hurlshot because you are consistent with a broad range of views 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton