What path will be canonised?

So, lets just say changes that Deadfire bring to the table in term of world going forward are very big. Stuff that happened in first game was relatively localized, choice between what to do with souls doesn't really change anything in long run for a world and Woedica can still return(and does return in deadfire) with or without souls. However stuff that our The BFG did or didn't do in the end makes it a bit problematic to move forward in time in universe. Lets drop minor thing about deadfire status, in a hundred of years it will be easily irrelevant because everyone will speak Rauatai but Wheel stuff... If kith manage to make new wheel - that would be freaking huge, just to think how it would affect both religious and political systems in the world. No to mention what our favourite Rymrgand want us to achieve...

So when universe will move forward it would be absolutely impossible to account for all possible endings as all of them apart "don't touch wheel" are essentially apocalyptic for original world order and clearly mutually exclusive. So who think, what deadfire ending will be canonised? I feel that one considered "correct" for sequesls and supplement meterial will be keeping wheel untouched while being anarchistic. Unless there will be no "what heppen next" and universe will move backwards

Örm wäit... there's already another game in the making that uses Eora as setting. It may be that it tells a story that is placed before the happenings in the Deadfire Archipelago - but it will still add to the (hi)story of Eora nevertheless. And given the unique IP, several novels, two finished games including 5 DLCs, one board game, a TTRPG in the maiking (last testing game session was yesterday I believe), new Microsoft money and GamePass as platform where also small title make sense... I find it very, very hard to imagine that the story of Eora will not see any further development. Not necessarily with an isometric party based RTwP RPG - but something that pushes the story further will come. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah it doesn't look like that Obsidian or Microsoft want to drop Eora as a setting. There is a big chance for PoE to kinda follow fallout example - transfer from isometric game (PoE) into first person one (Awoved series assuming game succeed) but that's not related to setting itself

• 3 weeks later...

Good question.

RDC and Valian Republicans are pretty much 2 sides of the same coin. Valians have better animancy but RDC is more careful and willing to hire experts from anywhere if needed. If I was Obsidian it will be  complicated for me to choose between the 2. RDC feels like the strongest nation during PoE2 time, the one on the rise. It would make sense and would also help having a fantasy world without humans leading.

Aeldys is a big no given she leads to the only true bad ending.

Furrente would tempting. He would be responsible enough to fix the wheel without leading to the interrogation "who's the best imperialist ?".

I guess the Huana would feel the best default choice. But because they are so traditional, they would be the less likely to fix the wheel. That's why I rarely side with them.

Is there truly an option to not fix the Wheel?  If you don't fix the Wheel, in a generation, all you get for kids is hollowborn, and there's strong hints that won't last forever.  Effectively, Eothas puts all of Eora on an extinction clock.  At the end of Beast of Winter, if you talk to the Beast, Rymrgand basically says "I know what Eothas is doing, and I want him to succeed."  He wants everything to end, and likely feels the Kith cannot remake the work of making the Wheel in time.  On a side note, I wish you could tell Eothas that at the end.  "You do know that Ryrmgand thinks this is a great idea, right?  Are you /sure/ something /he/ thinks is good is the right choice?"

So, even if there was leadership in place in the Deadfire, post PoE2, that decided that rebuilding the Wheel wasn't their thing, would the rest of Eora actually let that happen?  Or would the rest of the world group up and just smash that group as a matter of mutual survival?

I also think Abydon is a wild card.  While he seems to join the gods chorus of 'Let the mortals figure it out', I have a hard time thinking that the God of Building Things would not step in in some way if it looked like the Kith would fail, and everything would die.

I think the ending of Deafire sets up great presuppositions for a sequel. For example the hero could decide himself (or influence others) how to achieve the goal to repair the wheel:

Will the RDC conquer the known world to make sure everybody's on the same team and humanity doesn't go extinct? Will the Vaillians try to bring all good animancera of Eora together, pay them really well and let them find a solution - only to monopolize the Wheel afterwards and make big profits off its workings? Will scientists form something like a democratic technocracy to fix the wheel? Wil there be a race for the best animancy tech so that only one faction would be able to survive while the others perish? Will the gods try to meddle with those factions? E.g. I can see that Woedica would be in favor of the Rauataian way while I can see Galawain favoring the "survival of the fittest/smartest" approach.  

Will there even be a faction that wants to prevent the repair of the Wheel so everything turns to dust in the end? 

Potential great stuff imo. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

the ending deadfire can not be easily gloss over like most major choice in poe1

most efficient way a sequel could handle it seems to be let the archmages interfere

so no matter which faction control ukaizo the same set of character can be their representative in distant land the new story most likely to be set in

It doesn't sound like there's a POE3, so not sure how much canon matters.

The TTRPG might make some canon choices but reactive RPGs are notoriously slippery to pin down the "actual" ending for everyone (as POE2 proved both design and technically since a lot of the choices initially didn't work and wasn't correct with what had happened in POE1).

• 3 weeks later...