Cyberpunk 2077 continuing discussion

Amentep

Old thread:

Last few posts:

On 1/23/2021 at 5:49 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Re: the patch (which I haven't installed/played yet): some PC users are reporting a lot less crowd density even with it set to highest.  Anyone else notice the same? I wonder if that was supposed to be only for console versions but got put into the PC patch by mistake. Or if it's another sign of how even the PC version will have its graphics generally "downgraded" for performance reasons vs. just adding more low-low graphic setting options.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:13 AM, majestic said:

That was the first thing I turned down when I saw the options. I don't like running into useless people in real life, why bother having them in games then? :p

On 1/23/2021 at 7:46 AM, Raithe said:

107395.jpg

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^  I decided I'd wait for all the patches before trying to do much quest-wise in this game.  I mean if I'd liked it enough to obsess/play/finish it in the first couple weeks, that would've been fine and all, but since I didn't even get close to that, I may as well wait now.  So maybe I'll try picking it up again in ... summer? Maybe by then at least any possible quest bugs will be fixed.  😛

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I beat it without doing a good bit of jobs and quests, pretty satisfied.  Setting it to the side for a lil bit to see what the patches and dlcs add.  

they do HAVE to add a post quest that would add “something” that would make all 4 endings feel better.  

Yup as much as I'm eager to try this out still not touching it until that 6 months + launch time period.

Hitman 3's launch was pretty bad as well but not because of in game glitches but because of server and progression failures, so you're not completely alone GOGgers.

Someone made a joke that Cyberman 2047 was the worst launch ever.

Edited by ComradeMaster

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I bought this game.. that was a mistake. Played it for about an hour before the bugs/general level of unfinishedness overwhelmed me.

I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 has a similar journey as The Witcher 3 did, but so many systems seem to be missing or are so deeply broken that I have a difficult time keeping my hopes up.

Still, I'm gonna wait for patches before I jump back in. Lots of patches. At least give me my modifiable cars, dammit!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

11 minutes ago, mkreku said:

Well, I bought this game.. that was a mistake. Played it for about an hour before the bugs/general level of unfinishedness overwhelmed me.

I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 has a similar journey as The Witcher 3 did, but so many systems seem to be missing or are so deeply broken that I have a difficult time keeping my hopes up.

Still, I'm gonna wait for patches before I jump back in. Lots of patches. At least give me my modifiable cars, dammit!!

Yup you've just confirmed my instincts.  There's a great game in there somewhere but it's gonna take some time, patches, and mods to get it.

Guess longer wait for patches.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Guess longer wait for patches.

Wish they'd just push more regular, smaller patches. There's enough little frustrations that would be nice to get fixed rather than having to wait for a big-bang "big patch" that likely will not live up to (inflated) expectations and/or break other stuff.

In good news, maybe graphics card prices will go down to something reasonable by then. Heh, who am I kidding...

Edited by marelooke

I thought that 1/3 at the end there meant that the new release date was the 1st of March. I suck at Twitter.

That said, I've been playing the game in earnest, finally. Only just past the big FUBAR and into the open world content proper for the first time. No technical issues really. Playing a pure stealth character more or less and not sure how I feel about it. Part of it is because I'm already stealth-inclined generally, but the other was that I ended up deciding that the gamepad was better for the game generally but at the same time it necessitated making shooting not the major focus of gameplay.

Both the stealth mechanics and level design in that context aren't quite as good as games dedicated to the mechanics, but that's understandable given that it's trying to be many things at the same time. Takedowns are clumsier than they need to be, requiring two commands instead of one striking me as particularly silly (grab first then decide on lethal vs non-lethal). I've long thought that Dishonored, even the first one, already solved the most elegant way to takedown and grab but for some reason it hasn't been shamelessly copied, with both Mankind Divided and now this regressing to jankier implementations.

That said, I'm letting myself be immersed, walking around at a moderate pace, following the walk lights, etc. I find myself reluctant to drive because of a lack of parking spots means I can't elegantly leave the car anywhere. Even when I'm in a place with parking spots, I find the game doesn't actually let me use them, which is irritating. Seriously, there's like an invisible wall in front of the parking spot itself. Whyyyyyy?

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Both the stealth mechanics and level design in that context aren't quite as good as games dedicated to the mechanics, but that's understandable given that it's trying to be many things at the same time.

This kinda sums the game up in a nutshell for me. Everything in it is worse than in games dedicated to the specific thing, but compensates by having all the things. Problem with that approach is you risk dissapointing everyone. The GTA crowd feels the world is stale and vehicle handling is crap, the rpg crowd complains about lack of depth in the rpg systems and in meaningful choices. Both of which are valid complaints.

For me personally it worked well, I found the game to be greater than the sum of it's parts. I loved the first playthrough I did, but replayability suffers a bit. The story beats are largely the same, and while it's mechanically different, the melee slasher I'm playing now is less fun than the hacker/sniper I went with first. Then again, I tend to favor the former playstyle, so wasn't completely unexpected.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I thought that 1/3 at the end there meant that the new release date was the 1st of March. I suck at Twitter.

That said, I've been playing the game in earnest, finally. Only just past the big FUBAR and into the open world content proper for the first time. No technical issues really. Playing a pure stealth character more or less and not sure how I feel about it. Part of it is because I'm already stealth-inclined generally, but the other was that I ended up deciding that the gamepad was better for the game generally but at the same time it necessitated making shooting not the major focus of gameplay.

Both the stealth mechanics and level design in that context aren't quite as good as games dedicated to the mechanics, but that's understandable given that it's trying to be many things at the same time. Takedowns are clumsier than they need to be, requiring two commands instead of one striking me as particularly silly (grab first then decide on lethal vs non-lethal). I've long thought that Dishonored, even the first one, already solved the most elegant way to takedown and grab but for some reason it hasn't been shamelessly copied, with both Mankind Divided and now this regressing to jankier implementations.

That said, I'm letting myself be immersed, walking around at a moderate pace, following the walk lights, etc. I find myself reluctant to drive because of a lack of parking spots means I can't elegantly leave the car anywhere. Even when I'm in a place with parking spots, I find the game doesn't actually let me use them, which is irritating. Seriously, there's like an invisible wall in front of the parking spot itself. Whyyyyyy?

That's for quests, where they want to force you to walk up to the quest area. I have noticed those barriers tend to not always go away once you finish the quest, even though in some instances they are not there before the quest (eg. the Pyramid Song location)

Stealth didn't bother me too much, aside from Cool feeling a bit useless. Hacking seems a lot more useful to get around without being seen than most Cool perks and I've gone through the game with only 3 points in Cool (think I only grabbed the skill that makes you go faster in stealth)

As for the controller, I just use m+kb and grab a controller for driving. Also, as mentioned prior, the traffic AI is garbage (they like to swerve for no reason at all, for example) and car handling is "meh" with a controller (and outright bad with m+kb). Simplest "solution" is to just use a motorcycle, you should be getting one of the best ones in the game for free right about where you are in the game now.

3 hours ago, Spider said:

This kinda sums the game up in a nutshell for me. Everything in it is worse than in games dedicated to the specific thing, but compensates by having all the things. Problem with that approach is you risk dissapointing everyone. The GTA crowd feels the world is stale and vehicle handling is crap, the rpg crowd complains about lack of depth in the rpg systems and in meaningful choices. Both of which are valid complaints.

For me personally it worked well, I found the game to be greater than the sum of it's parts. I loved the first playthrough I did, but replayability suffers a bit. The story beats are largely the same, and while it's mechanically different, the melee slasher I'm playing now is less fun than the hacker/sniper I went with first. Then again, I tend to favor the former playstyle, so wasn't completely unexpected.

I feel the problem there is how people define "meaningful choice". I think most people want "big impact" choices, not necessarily meaningful ones (maybe just arguing semantics, but still) Because while you end up in the same place (and I've complained about that place before, so I'll spare everyone a re-run ;) ) and walk more or less the same road there's still significant differences.

If you miss certain quests for example, or if let certain characters die, or how your relationship is which certain characters. It all impacts the flow and feel of the quests and how the endings "feel" (or which ones you have access to at all).

For example,

Spoiler

the Arasaka ending is very much a downer, but it is really depressing when Takemura is dead. Try romancing Judy for some extra punches in the gut in this ending.

But yes, you do end up in the exact same place in the end, but that is by design, the endings (there's only three outcomes, really, despite there being at least 5 endings with a lot of variations on each) are a very obvious setup for future content so I do hope they "fix" themselves once that content gets released.

So I would argue that the choices are meaningful, just that they don't have a big impact on the gameplay and replayability, as the road you walk is still mostly the same. And that's a very valid complaint indeed, multiple playthroughs are basically the same unless you take conscious effort to make them different (purposefully make different decisions to see what happens, purposefully use a different build). That said, my first character was a Corpo and, after the initial disappointment about the extremely short "origin story", I was pleasantly surprised about how much it actually affects the game.

I did try going melee on my second playthrough, didn't work too well for me (also tried NG+ style, by "cheating" my way to 50 on Very Hard, with appropriate attribute points, game put out the hurts, at least initially)

And another complaint I can get behind is that there's very little to do once you're "done", there's the police star things, but those are so easy by the time you complete the game it's like swatting flies, they're also not marked on the map, so finding them requires just randomly driving around and getting lucky...

Exploration is still enjoyable, there's quite a bit of environmental storytelling going on and I even found an unmarked quest that gave me a nice edgy motorcycle. But yeah, collecting more stuff...why exactly? Guess this is where the "not a living city" complaints come from, in which case I can kinda see where they're coming from.

I just don't understand how anyone complains about the game being too short. I put in about 50 hours and I don't think I was that close to the end. I stalled out, but I am pretty comfortable with the idea I will return to it. It is an enjoyable game. I think people just have crazy expectations.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I just don't understand how anyone complains about the game being too short. I put in about 50 hours and I don't think I was that close to the end. I stalled out, but I am pretty comfortable with the idea I will return to it. It is an enjoyable game. I think people just have crazy expectations.

The actual complaint is that the main story is short. For some this means the 12-ish hours it takes to rush through it is a tiny part of the game, for others it means the story running leaps into the finale straight over a potential act 3 that the story is (or would) neatly flow into.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-25-cyberpunk-2077-developers-locked-out-of-workstations-following-cyber-attack-report-says

More detail on the aftermath of the attack.  Never understood why some companies want your passport information - 2 UK firms I've worked for have asked for that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Took me 150hours to "complete" the game. That is: one playthrough, all the (marked) side quests (minus the boxing ones, those can go diaf. Not counting the cars either) and went through all 4 main endings (Sun, Star, Devil, and Temperance).

10 hours ago, Oner said:

The actual complaint is that the main story is short. For some this means the 12-ish hours it takes to rush through it is a tiny part of the game, for others it means the story running leaps into the finale straight over a potential act 3 that the story is (or would) neatly flow into.

It's definitely short-ish if one ignores all the side content (some of which could borderline be considered main quest, though), but I don't think I'd necessarily want it to be longer just for the sake of it, if that would result in something like Witcher 3, which I thought felt seriously dragged out at points to the point that I ended up forgetting what my actual goal was.

I'd prefer more substantial side quest chains instead then, giving us the chance to become more familiar with certain NPCs without forcing it through the main quest, for example (like doing more substantial jobs with Rogue, or some deeper involvement with some of the fixers than merely doing their gigs).

Maybe once/if we get to continue past the ending...

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

So I ran this game for the 1st time in a while to test some hardware, and the first time looking at resource monitors while doing so in a long time.

Even with moderate ray tracing on, I noticed it was only using about 50-60% of CPU (on most cores, no core/thread was anywhere near maxed out) and maybe 30-40% gpu utilization.  Is it that low for anyone else? I can't remember if it was always like that. The fps playing is about the same tho, maybe a tad more stable.  Just seems like GPU utilization should be higher considering the game? No big deal, just felt weird.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 2/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, Oner said:

So it's basically Outer Worlds?  If you plow through the main quest it's gonna be perceived as short but if you take the time to do side missions it's reasonably lengthed.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Dang

Now I need to play the bloody thing, so I can watch another video-essay.

Stopped watching when he started preaching about the oh-so-transphobic vending machine.

• Like 2