What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

Just now, BruceVC said:

Their is a fair amount of criticism about the Pfizer vaccine and some EU countries are not happy with it and some have temporarily banned it as  a precautionary step. In SA we also refused to use it  but that was our fault for not checking expiry dates and some weak research about it not being as effective in some groups. But many countries are using it and its fine, I would take it if I could get it 

Https://news.yahoo.com/denmark-suspends-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-114438383.html

Oh sorry I meant the AstraZeneca, not Pfizer 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

It really does. I still remember carrying her out of the hospital as a baby. ;( 

I remember you talking about her on the BIS boards.  Now I feel old by proxy.

• Haha 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Since Amazon Fresh is working great again I haven't been "outside" the house in weeks ... except for some brief walks.  But finally went to Nob HIll yesterday ... bought a deli sandwich and a small package of thin crispy cookies.  When you haven't had any cookies in months ... best cookies evah.

Unrelated: what I like about my tablet - when I'm watching a video, it's not interrupted by a spam phone call.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Torn between anger, hate, despair and a certain feeling of airy lightness because that hell launch that's been looming over me is done and it is surprisingly quiet. Except for a minor problem that I just patched out.

Can't wait for the bomb to hit. There's something that must break down, or stop working, or go wrong, and the longer it takes to rear its ugly head the worse it will be. I'm quite frankly terrified. And tired.

• Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Torn between anger, hate, despair and a certain feeling of airy lightness because that hell launch that's been looming over me is done and it is surprisingly quiet. Except for a minor problem that I just patched out.

Can't wait for the bomb to hit. There's something that must break down, or stop working, or go wrong, and the longer it takes to rear its ugly head the worse it will be. I'm quite frankly terrified. And tired.

Be optimistic! yes it’s usually a short path to disappointment but it will certainly make the waiting more bearable

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Be optimistic! yes it’s usually a short path to disappointment but it will certainly make the waiting more bearable

There's a reason the IT variant of Murphy's Law is: Even if nothing can go wrong, it will go wrong. :p

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Today, I try to find a way to replace myself with a shell script

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am still working towards a customer deadline but I have made  real progress so I am going to be a little naughty today, its Friday, and I am going to stop working at lunchtime, 1pm, and give myself the afternoon off so I can do some gaming 🖥️

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 hours ago, majestic said:

Hey!

That's the Powerpoint presentation of every go-live ever 😂

Edit: Brings back fond memories of driving for many hours through South Australias desert, heading home after a stay inland at a customer, just to get a phone call 1 hour away from Adelaide (where I was living at the time, many years ago), that would be around 7-8pm'ish that I was needed asap at a customer site in Adelaide. The customers server had crashed with defect hard drives, database was corrupt and they had sort of forgotten to test if their backup procedures actually worked ;)

Spent all Friday night (after driving through desert much of the day) and part of Saturday drinking beer with the customer and trying to salvage as much data as possible from a corrupt database, transferring the salvageable parts to an impromptu new "server" running on a laptop. McGyver would've been proud. In the end, we got a "workable" system up and running, though the poor interns would have to reenter transactions from the last 4 weeks as a new data entry exercise.

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Taking Sunny to see the vet today. Then we’re going to take a ride out to Brownsville and check on our property out there. After that back home to what I’m sure it will be an extended session playing OOTP. I am replaying the 1962 season is the Pittsburgh Pirates. OOTP 22 comes out in two weeks and I want to finish this season before upgrading 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Feeling a bit physically ill, watched a youtubers sideproject where he's building a car, a Plymouth Barracuda with a Satans piss engine in it. 🤢🤮

Managed about 5 minutes.

HEATHEN!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Damn, I'm shaking like hell right now. My upstairs neighbors were yelling again, nothing new, happens at least once per week. But then screaming started and it got quite unpleasant. Was rushing to put my pants on, couldn't find any socks, though. 😄 Went outside to the floor and was thinking should I go up or call the police or whatever, I have no idea. In that moment another neighbor came and opened the door loud (didn't noticed what was going on), then the yelling from above stopped. Sitting here now, typing this **** down. It's crazy.

• Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Drinking tea, "Gold of the Mountain King" from a local shop. It's delicious, love the citrusy twang at the end. ❤️

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Planted corn, butter beans, black eye peas, sweet yellows, and Videlias (green onions) today. Tomorrow I have to plant the zucchini, watermelon, honeydew, and summer squash. I’ve got cherry tomatoes and romas growing in the green house. In two weeks planting green beans and salad bowl lettuce. They have a shorter growing cycle. Trying to time this so every thing is ready at the same time. 

Now we wait

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

31 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Planted corn, butter beans, black eye peas, sweet yellows, and Videlias (green onions) today. Tomorrow I have to plant the zucchini, watermelon, honeydew, and summer squash. I’ve got cherry tomatoes and romas growing in the green house. In two weeks planting green beans and salad bowl lettuce. They have a shorter growing cycle. Trying to time this so every thing is ready at the same time. 

Now we wait

I considered growing some produce this year, buuuuut, my sister has freerange kids, soo. Yeah. No. 😔

• Haha 3

Went grocery shopping, dude in front of me in line had the eight pointed star tattooed on his arm.  The heresy spreads.

Edited by Malcador
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

54 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Went grocery shopping, dude in front of me in line had the eight pointed star tattooed on his arm.  The heresy spreads.

I do hope you notified the Ordo Hereticus!

VirginMedia appear to be having glitches all over the country.  My internet went down late last night, was still down this morning. So I messaged my boss with a "Okay, I can't get online, and I'll be missing those early morning meetings, but I have work I can do."

Then juuust as it turned 9am and my first meeting was supposed to start... my internet came back online, and I was still pulled into it. Dang.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I would've just kept it unplugged until at least ten minutes after the meeting started...juuuust to make sure.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I got a new favourite pistol I want. Not that it's like to happen, but still;

High velocity ammunition that is good for reaching out a bit, 2 alternate ammo types with a simple barrel swap, well designed. The one downside being size.

Was expecting a Korth.

Edited by Malcador

Did my taxes, I'm getting 700€ back from my 3300€ I spent on going to work, yay. 👍

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Did my taxes, I'm getting 700€ back from my 3300€ I spent on going to work, yay. 👍

Nice one :thumbsup:

Please give me 350 €, the SA rand is very weak compared to the Euro and our economy is really suffering and you have no  idea how expensive weed and strip clubs are in SA at the moment so its for a good reason

Also you live in  a first world country where your government gives you everything you want so if you honest with yourself you will  come to the  inexorable conclusion " do I really need that whole 700€?"  What could you possibly spend it on that you dont already have ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

16 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Nice one :thumbsup:

Please give me 350 €, the SA rand is very weak compared to the Euro and our economy is really suffering and you have no  idea how expensive weed and strip clubs are in SA at the moment so its for a good reason

Also you live a first world country where you government gives you everything you want so if you honest with yourself you come to the conclusion " do I really need that whole 700€? What could you possibly spend it on that you dont already have ?

That sounds like a good cause, but unfortunately since you've admitted to using what according to my government is the most unholy of unholy, worst drug in the world, the gateway to pcp and crack, then black-tar heroin, and strip clubs which is demigrating to women and punishable by death, I can never do a transaction with you, sorry :<

In fairness, it'll probably go to a new turbo for my car, a standard one is about 500€, but it can only push 1.4 bar and then it'll probably break, if I double the price I could possibly get a Borg Warner EFR 6758 which'll bring me up to about 3 bar. This'll net me about 500hp for 2.6 seconds until my pistons go flying about 20 metres straight through the side of the engine block. :p

• Like 1