What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

When you're 16, summer can't come fast enough and lasts forever!

When you're 30, summer boils down to a couple weeks of vacation that's fun but over in an eyeblink.

When you're 50, by the time you notice it was summer, it's already winter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We're finally back above freezing! It feels positively warm outside today. I think I'm going fishing. After 7 days below freezing I bet the fish are hungry

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My girlfriend is running a low fever and we had to cancel date-night in favor of doing something virtually so we ended up getting dinner from the same restaurant and watching something over Discord together, and that actually went fairly well. It's probably stress and not COVID but, still, we'll both feel better once the test comes back and that's confirmed.

• Like 3

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Whole stock market is going kill right now. It's worse than last week. Will be interesting to see how far it can still sink. Luckily my money is in companies that will very likely go up again, but it's still a bit of an odd feeling.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Got a complaint today that an order has not been billed correctly, and we should check what went wrong.

So I did. Turns out the customer's set to a monthly billing period and the order was finalized last week. Last. Week. Monthly period. Get it?

This was my reply:

21aqbc.jpg

Because screw that, I'm done. From now on I'm just going to reply in memes.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ever since I started working, every meeting is worse than the one before it. So whenever you see me in one, that's the worst meeting of my life.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dealing with one of my frequent bouts of insomnia. So I was sitting on the front porch at 3o’clock in the morning trying to decide what the best total war game was. After much consideration I decided the original Medieval TW was the best. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Dealing with one of my frequent bouts of insomnia. So I was sitting on the front porch at 3o’clock in the morning trying to decide what the best total war game was. After much consideration I decided the original Medieval TW was the best. 

I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia, I've had some trouble sleeping the past few days aswell, though for entirely different reasons.

I don't know about that, I'm very partial to Empire, but I have a massive fetish for that era. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

GD you know what always helps me with insomnia....or in my case I sometimes battle to fall asleep, I dont not sleep 

Regular exercise, I know you active but do you exercise? Due to the pandemic I dont go to gym anymore but I do maintain my early morning walks ...say 4-5  times a week and I find when I exercise on that day  I fall asleep much quicker and easier 💤

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

52 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia, I've had some trouble sleeping the past few days aswell, though for entirely different reasons.

I don't know about that, I'm very partial to Empire, but I have a massive fetish for that era. :p

Bah empire the AI was terrible. Infantry would crouch behind a wall even if they were flanked and getting fired on from behind. Come to that I don’t think they ever tried to maneuver to prevent being flanked. And in the naval games I can’t tell you how many galleons I captured with a single frigate by just staying in front of them and turning periodically to fire at their masts. Cavalry would charge straight at squares, it was a hot mess. I could easily go in there and defeat an army two or three times my size.

Thomas Sowell

14 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

GD you know what always helps me with insomnia....or in my case I sometimes battle to fall asleep, I dont not sleep 

Regular exercise, I know you active but do you exercise? Due to the pandemic I dont go to gym anymore but I do maintain my early morning walks ...say 4-5  times a week and I find when I exercise on that day  I fall asleep much quicker and easier 💤

Not really. Although I should. I’ve got arthritis in my shoulder and both knees and still have soreness from the accident sometimes. But I am active and walk a lot. Even walking to cold creek is about a 20 minute walk each way with a decent incline on the way back. Plus I do eat right and I have completely given up booze

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Not really. Although I should. I’ve got arthritis in my shoulder and both knees and still have soreness from the accident sometimes. But I am active and walk a lot. Even walking to cold creek is about a 20 minute walk each way with a decent incline on the way back. Plus I do eat right and I have completely given up booze

No alcohol at all? Are you having a break or is this permanent, I always thought it was legally mandatory to drink whiskey if you live in Tennessee... whiskey production is an important  part of your state GDP  and its your patriotic duty to drink !!! 🍹

Its like that butter law in Wisconsin where restaurants only provide good, healthy Wisconsin butter and not yukky margarine 

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/wisconsin-butter-laws

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

No alcohol at all? Are you having a break or is this permanent, I always thought it was legally mandatory to drink whiskey if you live in Tennessee... whiskey production is an important  part of your state GDP  and its your patriotic duty to drink !!! 🍹

Its like that butter law in Wisconsin where restaurants only provide good, healthy Wisconsin butter and not yukky margarine 

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/wisconsin-butter-laws

😂. Nope, not a drop since middle of last year. But I wouldn’t worry overly much about the sipping whiskey business. They will do just fine without my contributions! Seriously are the only thing I drink nowadays are black coffee, unsweet iced tea and water. And Gatorade sometimes. And juice sometimes. I’ve cut way back on the amount of carbohydrates I eat. Most of my meals are now just protein and vegetable. And the majority the vegetables are the ones I grow. Can’t say the same about the meat because I can’t bring myself to actually kill my livestock. I get too attached to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

Amazed my coworker by explaining to her how to use lsof and ps to hunt down where a server was running from.  Undermined it all by saying "Praise be the Omnissiah", perhaps.   Other than that wasting time at work watching some lady in Khabarovsk vlog about her city

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So long, Fry's Electronics.  We haven't used you in a long time, really, but in the 90's and early 2000's you  were practically a 2nd home.  I wouldn't call them the best, but they were huge and handy, for TV's, PC's, DVD's, all of that.

I still miss Tower Records too.  The Good Guys, Circuit City, original Ace Hardware/Orchard, Mervyns, and others.  Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy - none of it's the same. 

I wonder if Microsoft/Google/Amazon will still be dominant in another 50 years.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Bah empire the AI was terrible. Infantry would crouch behind a wall even if they were flanked and getting fired on from behind. Come to that I don’t think they ever tried to maneuver to prevent being flanked. And in the naval games I can’t tell you how many galleons I captured with a single frigate by just staying in front of them and turning periodically to fire at their masts. Cavalry would charge straight at squares, it was a hot mess. I could easily go in there and defeat an army two or three times my size.

Pft, the AI isn't bad, it's just that the troops are diciplined. I mean, they've got the cannonball testicles to march straight at a firing squad! Why'd they turn around to face the enemy if you don't order them to do so?! 😄

For real tho, I don't think they do manouver on their own, but it'd be a mess if they did at the wrong time. It could definetly do with better AI, especially the naval battles. Attacking a lone frigate with Galleons acting as destroyers is lunacy, unless they were trying to chase you away from a certain point say, but I do think that naval battles never had a "control point" that you could occupy to win. Something like that would've helped I think.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've been driving all over the midwest making all the money I can to build for a downpayment. I hope to buy a house in the North Carolina/Tennessee mountains later this year. More likely than not it will be on the Tennessee side, but that's not 100% yet. Mortgage rates are still at very low rates because of the pandemic and I'm one of the few lucky enough to not he crippled by it because of my job, so I want to take advantage of the situation as best as I can. On the one hand it feels kind of weird to try to use a crisis to my advantage. On the other hand, I had nothing to do with the crisis and failing to take advantage of the situation would do zero to help any one else; might as well strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I got some good news on the housing front. We are renting from some friends. Eventually they want to develop the property. It is zoned residential/commercial, and they plan on putting a business at the front and condo units behind or on top. I was worried they were looking to break ground in the next yeae, but it sounds like they are waiting. They are also interested in letting us buy a condo unit, which might be perfect for us. We love the location, so hopefully we can figure out a way to stay long term.

• Like 4

That sounds nice. (Locally) The best I could theoretically manage, if I somehow manage to save up a downpayment, is a 68m2 3 room apartment that starts at 150000€. Cheapest house starts about 200 000€ and it needs renovations.

Edited by Azdeus

@HurlshotGood luck. Parts of California can be quite expensive but that doesn't preclude good bargains. I hope you can find a good and affordable patch of land you can call your own. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I've been driving all over the midwest making all the money I can to build for a downpayment. I hope to buy a house in the North Carolina/Tennessee mountains later this year. More likely than not it will be on the Tennessee side, but that's not 100% yet. Mortgage rates are still at very low rates because of the pandemic and I'm one of the few lucky enough to not he crippled by it because of my job, so I want to take advantage of the situation as best as I can. On the one hand it feels kind of weird to try to use a crisis to my advantage. On the other hand, I had nothing to do with the crisis and failing to take advantage of the situation would do zero to help any one else; might as well strike while the iron is hot.

Dont feel guilty at all, most economic sectors globally have been impacted by the economic lockdown but its also an excellent time to secure reasonable finance due to the reason you mentioned as most people aren't committing to loans until  things  normalize again in our respective economies. Now is the perfect time to get  a loan if your job hasn't been effected...in fact if you wait you aren't  necessarily guaranteed to get such good terms. 

This is one of those rare moments where you can almost negotiate terms with banks around finance and most banks would be agreeable to it ...take full advantage because it wont last forever 

And you never know, if you do buy in Tennessee you may live close to GD and you  guys can meetup and socialize if you want 🍻🍗 (minus the alcohol of course if GD is still not drinking ) 

15 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

That's where my wife was born

In local news it's snowing. Again.

I thought you wife came from the Baltic states, I cant remember which one ?

• Like 1

John Milton 

19 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Dont feel guilty at all, most economic sectors globally have been impacted by the economic lockdown but its also an excellent time to secure reasonable finance due to the reason you mentioned as most people aren't committing to loans until  things  normalize again in our respective economies. Now is the perfect time to get  a loan if your job hasn't been effected...in fact if you wait you aren't  necessarily guaranteed to get such good terms. 

This is one of those rare moments where you can almost negotiate terms with banks around finance and most banks would be agreeable to it ...take full advantage because it wont last forever 

And you never know, if you do buy in Tennessee you may live close to GD and you  guys can meetup and socialize if you want 🍻🍗 (minus the alcohol of course if GD is still not drinking ) 

I thought you wife came from the Baltic states, I cant remember which one ?

The main benefit of Tennessee is no state income tax. Also, TN tends to have a slightly lower cost of living, not that NC has a high cost of living. These change on a county by county basis, like anywhere else. Also, Tennessee tends to be more lenient on what you can build on your land without jumping through flaming hoops, though, again, that's on a county by county basis.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸