What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

35 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

If you don't mind sharing what your job "title" is I can look up the expected average wage?

I'm a software engineer (or computer scientist). I'm also a certified banker but didn't work in that field for over 20 years now. I've been self employed as  software engineer/software architect for the last 12 years or so. The banker/software combo often gets you customers that pay quite well and designing software for those customers is actually not that difficult because most use cases are simple.
But I try to work for other, less financially oriented entities - like doing some administration software for the German Basketball Association or the German Association of Sailors or so. Lots of sports associations actually. I played Volleyball and Basketball (2. German Regionalliga) when I was younger and one of my former bosses (still a friend) played Basketball in the German Bundesliga. Yeah... connections connections - so important - which I sometimes loathe.   
My wife is a diplomat with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Our household income (after taxes and stuff) fluctuates because of me - but it's always higher than 10K€/month.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

I was once like that. Before the dark times. In years gone by I imagined myself as a frequent contributor to open source software, but that never happened. Another dream sacrificed at the altar of money. Eh. But I like moneys. ;)

Hm. At the current exchange rate that's some 1850€ per month net income. That makes you better paid than similar positions at the company I work at. Or at least... from what I know from 10 years ago. I doubt a lot has changed.

Not sure how cost of living compares, but I know that our groceries are upwards of 25% more expensive than in Germany.

Haha! Yeah, when I first met him in 2000, he was by his computer writing a kernel for some OS of his own, and I told him that I just got a C++ book from my father that I was studying. So he started talking programming to me, and that is when I decided that the C++ book would become my new monitor stand. 😄

I felt like a complete idiot when he was around.

It's a fairly decent wage for what is required from you, the requirements is working arms, legs and a passing grade in Swedish (Which they honestly disregard, we've had a lady from Wyoming, iirc, working for us and she could say hi and goodbye).

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

27 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Nothing :p

No data on that, but;

About 4420€

Edit; I've got a friend that is a software developer, a really, really good one, obsessive about programming, he does it on his spare time for fun kind of guy, and on his first job they offered him 3600€ which he accepted, because he doesn't give a flying **** about how much money it is, because it's stupid amounts in his mind.

One year later he asked for a raise or he'd quit, and they offered him 1000€ and paid travel time to and from work (About two hours each day) which would count as part of his workday.

I'll charge from 20€ to 200€ per hour depending on the customer. :) The average is ~100€ I guess. Of course then I will have to pay taxes, health insurance, social insurance, pension insurance and my expenses from that. At the moment I'm not doing much because Covid and 3 rel. small kids (9, 6 and 4) at home. I briefly studied to become a teacher in biology and German and now I can put that to good use (not really). :) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I'm a software engineer (or computer scientist). I'm also a certified banker but didn't work in that field for over 20 year now. I've been self employed as  software engineer/software architect for the last 12 years or so. The banker/software combo often gets you customers that pay quite well and designing software for those customers is actually not that difficult because most use cases are simple.
But I try to work for other, less financially oriented entities - like doing some administration software for the German Basketball Association or the German Association of Sailors or so. Lots of sports associations actually. I played Volleyball and Basketball (2. German Regionalliga) when I was younger and one of my former bosses (still a friend) played Basketball in the German Bundesliga. Yeah... connections connections - so important - which I sometimes loathe.   
My wife is a diplomat with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Our household income (after taxes and stuff) fluctuates because of me - but it's always higher than 10K€/month.

Heh, that's quite the resumé!

Here in Sweden your wife would earn about 8000-11000€ depending on what part of the government she would be employed at, but Foreign Affairs would be state employed, so 10200€

According to https://www.ekonomifokus.se/lon-efter-skatt-kalkylator (If you want to play around yourself, "Vilken kommun bor du i?" is basically what town you live in, Stockholm is the one I used) she would get ~6200€ into her bank account and you'd get 3375€

Edit; Also, uncheck "Medlem i Svenska Kyrkan" unless you want to know what the church tax is aswell.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

12 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Haha! Yeah, when I first met him in 2000, he was by his computer writing a kernel for some OS of his own, and I told him that I just got a C++ book from my father that I was studying. So he started talking programming to me, and that is when I decided that the C++ book would become my new monitor stand. 😄

I felt like a complete idiot when he was around.

It's a fairly decent wage for what is required from you, the requirements is working arms, legs and a passing grade in Swedish (Which they honestly disregard, we've had a lady from Wyoming, iirc, working for us and she could say hi and goodbye).

I lost any interest in that the moment I started to earn my living as software developer. It's like some switch flipped in my mind. I can sit for hours upon hours and then some more tinkering at work, reading up on things, having interesting conversations with other developers, that's fine, but once I'm out of work mode, uhm... yeah. Count me out. Not doing any of that in my spare time.

Don't get me wrong here, I love my job and wouldn't want to trade it for anything else, but the times where I sat at home happily hacking away for fun are gone. Not sure if they'll ever come back. Maybe if I ever switch jobs or after retiring. Heh. :) 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

I lost any interest in that the moment I started to earn my living as software developer. It's like some switch flipped in my mind. I can sit for hours upon hours and then some more tinkering at work, reading up on things, having interesting conversatins with other developers, that's fine, but once I'm out of work mode, uhm... yeah. Count me out. Not doing any of that in my spare time.

Don't get me wrong here, I love my job and wouldn't want to trade it for anything else, but the times where I sat at home happily hacking away for fun are gone. Not sure if they'll ever come back. Maybe if I ever switch jobs or after retiring. Heh. :) 

Same here! I even refuse to write mods for Deadfire although I could. 😄 Instead I drew icons for a Deadfire mod that somebody else put together - as a treat. :)
Can't do the same stuff all day, nope.

• Like 2

I should point out aswell, that I have no grades whatsoever that are worth anything. I've got A in Maths, English, some low level Electrical engineering courses and F in Swedish, nothing in any of the other courses including Sports. So the wage is fairly good for what grades I have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

According to https://www.ekonomifokus.se/lon-efter-skatt-kalkylator (If you want to play around yourself, "Vilken kommun bor du i?" is basically what town you live in, Stockholm is the one I used) she would get ~6200€ into her bank account and you'd get 3375€

My wife is rel. high-ranking and gets more than that. Also being married and having three kids gives you a really decent bonus (of course that gets eaten up by the husband and the kids, but still). ;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I should point out aswell, that I have no grades whatsoever that are worth anything. I've got A in Maths, English, some low level Electrical engineering courses and F in Swedish, nothing in any of the other courses including Sports. So the wage is fairly good for what grades I have.

May I ask how old you are?

16 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

May I ask how old you are?

36 come May

• Like 1

I've considered going back to school a couple of times, but I really like what I do. I would've liked to try again to become a high voltage electrician, but going back to school and first upping my grades to be eligible for the course for a couple of years and then take the course for high voltage, isn't really that tentalizing to be honest.

25 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Cool. I'll be 45 in June. :)

I'm kind of a late bloomer :p I'd fit right into the mid 20's on the adulting scale 😄

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

I've considered going back to school a couple of times, but I really like what I do. I would've liked to try again to become a high voltage electrician, but going back to school and first upping my grades to be eligible for the course for a couple of years and then take the course for high voltage, isn't really that tentalizing to be honest.

I'd readily go back to school if that meant enjoying school life again, and perhaps doing it the way it should be done. Alas, since there's no such thing as time travel, I doubt that's possible, so thanks, but no thanks, I know what you mean. Sort of. I mean, not at all. I know the feeling, but the place where it's coming from is totally different I think. :)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'd readily go back to school if that meant enjoying school life again, and perhaps doing it the way it should be done. Alas, since there's no such thing as time travel, I doubt that's possible, so thanks, but no thanks, I know what you mean. Sort of. I mean, not at all. I know the feeling, but the place where it's coming from is totally different I think. :)

Hehe, I'll be honest, I don't want to time travel. If I could take a nanotech shot to turn 12 again though in todays age, that'd be better, there are a whole lot of things that I want to change that wasn't possible to do then and that I want to do now.

• Confused 1

Hehe, I'll be honest, I don't want to time travel. If I could take a nanotech shot to turn 12 again though in todays age, that'd be better, there are a whole lot of things that I want to change that wasn't possible to do then and that I want to do now.

Like what? I find the idea of a makeover interesting (particularily if I could keep my memories and knowledge intact) but being a kid today? Uhm. Not so sure about that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

Like what? I find the idea of a makeover interesting (particularily if I could keep my memories and knowledge intact) but being a kid today? Uhm. Not so sure about that.

Actually, loosing the memories wouldn't bother me too much, they'd make things a whole lot easier actually. It honestly would probably suck balls to be a kid today, but it certainly wasn't bright and rosy in the 90's either. No, I'm thinking a pretty extreme makeover that would've been alot easier before puberty. I'm probably, health permitting, going to change my gender. Something that wasn't allowed or even considered possible when I grew up was for someone under the age of 18 to start the process, and it was extremely rare for puberty to be halted, something that is allowed and more often than not permitted today.

Also, had I been born one year later, the doctors would've checked for my illness(The one that causes my high BP) when I was born and they would've started me on the medication that I take now, that has as an effect that it blocks testosterone, which is a... perk, but also I wouldn't have had a bunch of problems related to high BP that plagued me. Things such as headaches that caused me to not focus properly in school.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, majestic said:

Kids these days have it easy. Internet everywhere, not having to use 3.5" floppies... 😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Kind of depressing hearing you talk about salaries, then again when I compare those salaries to the US it's not that big of a gap in the EU (not counting Switzerland). Plus the cost of living over here is pretty low.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I've planned to use the familys outdoor hot tub with a friend, been going at the ice for about one hour when I go to my uncle to fetch a digging bar, tell him I'm done in 5 minutes and he can unlock the barn so I can get the waterpump. I pry away the iceblock and wait 10 minutes, and go to check whats up. His car is gone, so I call him. Turns out he went to the landfill and will be back in two hours.

So that's my timeschedule ****ed up for today.

I had my kid at 30 and I honestly couldnt imagine having one at 41! I was exhausted just reading that! :p 

Today in Chitown is a beautiful sunny day with clear blue skies. Later in the afternoon were having dinner with my wifes mother, who freshly inoculated, is froggy for company. :lol:

• Like 1

There’s a bright yellow ball of light hanging in the sky over my house today. I’m not sure what it is I think I remember seeing something like it in the distant past. Still pretty freaking cold out there though.

it took an hour and a half to clean the solar panels and get everything powered back up that’s more than enough cold weather for me for the day I’m going back in to play fallout four

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

22 hours ago, Azdeus said:

36 come May

...I don't know why, but for some reason I thought you were a little older.
Who's the oldest on these forums, these days? Pffft, never mind, I don't want to know. 

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just now, ShadySands said:

I feel old as hell, does that count?

I turned 28 last year and 50 this year.

• Haha 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands