What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

Returned to work after time off, only made it 5 minutes into daily conference call before urge to kill self returned.  Was pretty funny though, seems even after all this time of WFH people still don't know to mute themselves, invest in a cheap headset so there's no massive echo when they speak. People figuring out the way a list works is still an issue, but given up on that (sure Jeff, just join and talk about your item at #14 when we are on #2...).

At least no one breathing heavily, on this call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

50 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Returned to work after time off, only made it 5 minutes into daily conference call before urge to kill self returned.  Was pretty funny though, seems even after all this time of WFH people still don't know to mute themselves, invest in a cheap headset so there's no massive echo when they speak. People figuring out the way a list works is still an issue, but given up on that (sure Jeff, just join and talk about your item at #14 when we are on #2...).

At least no one breathing heavily, on this call.

Bonus points for people stuffing their face with crackers or other crispy munchies while not muted and wearing in-ear headphones with a cheap microphone attached so you get the full THX enhanced munching experience, or that microphone constantly rubbing against their shirts, mobile phones lying next to the microphone going off piercing your ears because why the hell should you mute your phone during a meeting, or inducing interference when the phone negotiates with the mobile network for some reason, like an incoming text. Bah. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I just play Tupac or something occasionally off mute, confirms my IT gangsta nerd status.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Speaking of status, I just had to swallow my toxic masculine pride and ask a woman for help on an EDI issue. :(

Spoiler

No, that's crap of course. Our EDI coordinator is and our two main EDI developers are women, so virtually any question I might have at any point is answered by one of the three.

It's just that some higher up from our group stepped on their toes for some reason and I got a fistful of passive agressiveness last year in the form of a ridiculous .xsd file that contained barely enough information for me to figure out how to send data. I figured out enough to get everything working without their help, but there are some extensions that were requested this week that require a qualifier attribute in one of the tag, and there's no list in the xsd.

Still have no idea what I did to them, but I imagine they'll be popping open the bubbly tomorrow.

I might be mistaken and they didn't deliberately send me incomplete documentation, but that would require them to be incompetent. Which I know they aren't.

• Haha 1

Got called to my boss' office today out of the blue, turns out I was due for a salary discussion. It was nice to hear that I was performing well above expectations, but it feels pretty pointless since I'm unionized, and they don't dole out increases by performance, they just give everyone a flat equal part, no matter what you do. Which really irks me. Sure, the idea behind it is good since people don't stay for any length in the company, but it also means that the company and the union bleed any talent away.

Oh well, atleast the complaints about the longhaired hardass has mostly died down alot. My boss doesn't recieve weekly calls of complaint about me yelling at drivers.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Reminds me I need to talk to my boss about my promotion. I'll be promoted to Senior Human Cron Job.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I assume EDI is different than ED. Although it sounds like women can help with both.

If I learned nothing else from MASS EFFECT, its that EDI *is* a woman.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

16 hours ago, Malcador said:

Reminds me I need to talk to my boss about my promotion. I'll be promoted to Senior Human Cron Job.

Will you get a sombrero and a poncho with it?

• Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Will you get a sombrero and a poncho with it?

And I get to ride in the front of the pickup truck.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Congrats on your raise, Azdeus!

Thanks! I look forward to see how much the union cuts off 😋

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

You sure have weird unions in Sweden. :)

They have ideas. Not necessarilly good ideas, but they are ideas. Postal workers rarely stay long nowadays, so they make sure that anyone can get a liveable wage.

I mean, I did benefit from it alot when I first started, but I think my total raise over the past 6 years has been something like 60€, so my wage is 15€ more than some yours if you were to come here tomorrow and start working. And I'm a yard jockey that also knows how to plan traffic and train people, stuff like that. If I could get my foot in at the docks... they have an average wage of 30500 SEK, compared to 24000SEK that I earn now.

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I mean, I did benefit from it alot when I first started, but I think my total raise over the past 6 years has been something like 60€, so my wage is 15€ more than some yours if you were to come here tomorrow and start working. And I'm a yard jockey that also knows how to plan traffic and train people, stuff like that. If I could get my foot in at the docks... they have an average wage of 30500 SEK, compared to 24000SEK that I earn now.

Is that 24000 SEK before or after taxes (I'm presuming that's a monthly wage, given the current conversion rate)?

@majesticThat's a house in Kitzbühel though, isn't it (the one you listed a page earlier)? Snobby winter sports village and tourist magnet. Try to buy a house in Aspen (Colorado)... ;)

My house in Berlin (220 m² + ~800 m² garden) that I build in 2017 did cost me ~750.000 € (everything included). 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

14 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

@majesticThat's a house in Kitzbühel though, isn't it (the one you listed a page earlier)? Snobby winter sports village and tourist magnet. Try to buy a house in Aspen (Colorado)... ;)

My house in Berlin (220 m² + ~800 m² garden) that I build in 2017 did cost me ~750.000 € (everything included). 

It's called exaggeration for effect, and shush, don't kill my point here. :p

For that kind of money you could get a 120m² house with a lot less of a garden somewhere in suburbia here. Well, probably more (or for cheaper) if you move a bit further out, but close to Vienna? Have fun, good luck... 

Edited by majestic

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

Is that 24000 SEK before or after taxes (I'm presuming that's a monthly wage, given the current conversion rate)?

It's before taxes, no extras like overtime, inconvenient working hours, teaching bonuses or such. I get about 18500 SEK (2200 ish dollars) into my bank account each month on that. Since I work evenings though I get about 1500-2000SEK more. When I worked daytime at the gatehouse, managing traffic and such I got 2000 SEK extra for the specialized tasks I had.

The best money I made was last December two years ago, working 10-23, 7 days a week, I got about 37000 SEK into my bank account.

23 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

That's Kitzbühel though, isn't it? Snobby winter sports village and tourist magnet. Try to buy a house in Aspen (Colorado)... ;)

Go up a wee bit here and you'd get https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/gard-7rum-edsas-alingsas-kommun-edsasvagen-170-16941895

(An 27 hectares next to a nice lake, including two islands)

Edited by Azdeus

Just now, majestic said:

It's called exaggeration for effect, and shush, don't kill my point here. :p

For that kind of money you could get a 120m² house with a lot less of a garden somewhere in suburbia here. Well, probably more (or for cheapter) if you move a bit further out, but close to Vienna? Have fun, good luck... 

Yeah, same in Munich, Stuttgart, Hamburg or Frankfurt etc. A typical "Reihenendhaus" without garden will be 1.5 million € and moren there. Urgs. I like Berlin. And Lidl is in Laufweite. ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It's before taxes, no extras like overtime, inconvenient working hours, teaching bonuses or such. I get about 18500 SEK (2200 ish dollars) into my bank account each month on that. Since I work evenings though I get about 1500-2000SEK more. When I worked daytime at the gatehouse, managing traffic and such I got 2000 SEK extra for the specialized tasks I had.

The best money I made was last December two years ago, working 10-23, 7 days a week, I got about 37000 SEK into my bank account.

Ouf, I earned more than that right after graduating and working as a research fellow. And that's not considered good payment here...
Isn't Sweden also more expensive than Germany? 

7 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Go up a wee bit here and you'd get https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/gard-7rum-edsas-alingsas-kommun-edsasvagen-170-16941895

(An 27 hectares next to a nice lake, including two islands)

Cool - should I ever have to move to Sweden I will consider to buy that. ;)  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Ouf, I earned more than that right after graduating and working as a research fellow. And that's not considered good payment here...
Isn't Sweden also more expensive than Germany?

I'm not very well versed in the cost of living in Germany, but yeah, it's pretty expensive here, but we also do get many, many things for free or cheap, or with the help of state student loans.

But generally speaking I'm lower class so, it is to be expected. An engineer here has an average wage of 41000 SEK (~4100€).

If you don't mind sharing what your job "title" is I can look up the expected average wage?

18 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Cool - should I ever have to move to Sweden I will consider to buy that. ;)  

It's only from 1855, so it'd be newer than mine ;D

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Azdeus said:

If you don't mind sharing what your job "title" is I can look up the expected average wage?

Self-empoyed software developer. I mean, he is. :p heh.

21 minutes ago, majestic said:

Self-empoyed

Nothing :p

No data on that, but;

software developer.

About 4420€

Edit; I've got a friend that is a software developer, a really, really good one, obsessive about programming, he does it on his spare time for fun kind of guy, and on his first job they offered him 3600€ which he accepted, because he doesn't give a flying **** about how much money it is, because it's stupid amounts in his mind.

One year later he asked for a raise or he'd quit, and they offered him 1000€ and paid travel time to and from work (About two hours each day) which would count as part of his workday.

Edited by Azdeus

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I've got a friend that is a software developer, a really, really good one, obsessive about programming, he does it on his spare time for fun kind of guy

I was once like that. Before the dark times. In years gone by I imagined myself as a frequent contributor to open source software, but that never happened. Another dream sacrificed at the altar of money. Eh. But I like moneys. ;)

10 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Hm. At the current exchange rate that's some 1850€ per month net income. That makes you better paid than similar positions at the company I work at. Or at least... from what I know from 10 years ago. I doubt a lot has changed.

Not sure how cost of living compares, but I know that our groceries are upwards of 25% more expensive than in Germany.