What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

Sorry Azdeus.

24 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So we rent a modest house for $3100 a month, which is the average rent in our town.

That's ****ing crazy, rent is just out of control.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thanks everyone.

After walking a bit through the woods, and noticed how many dog tracks are about from people letting their dogs run of their leash, I've decided to buy a pickaxe. I got a couple of days of work to dig I've gotten permission from a neighbour that bought our land a while ago to go digging there since it's still pretty few trees there.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ready to game now!   ...  😑 
Joke aside I usually just use the thumb brace but I sleep with all the metal fingertips on both hands so they don't curl/lock up while sleeping. It's so annoying. Pfft.

readytogame1.jpg

@Azdeus Pet loss ... never gets any easier. Sorry to hear. 

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

basically didn't play any game in a month after desktop broken

never felt so frustrated and full of fear and stress than last few month

fall into panic once a few hours

doesn't just feels like being trapped in a city or a block or a room but feels like trapped in oneself

pretentious stupid and pointless thing to say

but no less overwhelmingly awful

• Hmmm 1

Tablets are great devices. I probably use mine more than the desktop these days.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

14 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

basically didn't play any game in a month after desktop broken

never felt so frustrated and full of fear and stress than last few month

fall into panic once a few hours

doesn't just feels like being trapped in a city or a block or a room but feels like trapped in oneself

pretentious stupid and pointless thing to say

but no less overwhelmingly awful

Nothing weird about feeling increased anxiety due to not being able to game, gaming is not just a hobby for many of us with the lockdown its part of our coping mechanism 

So if you cant game then the other real pressures of the virus become worse. I would be much more unhappy if I couldnt game so I would argue you are being reasonable and its normal to feel like you are when anyone is  denied the ability to game 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

21 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Ready to game now!   ...  😑 
Joke aside I usually just use the thumb brace but I sleep with all the metal fingertips on both hands so they don't curl/lock up while sleeping. It's so annoying. Pfft.

readytogame1.jpg

@Azdeus Pet loss ... never gets any easier. Sorry to hear. 

My mother has similar braces, but hers extend to the entire bottom of her hand

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

My mother has similar braces, but hers extend to the entire bottom of her hand

...for some reason that makes me feel old.  😛  On the bright side, since I never had any kids, no one is ever going to call me grandma!

...another topic, I've had the same game on (and nothing else inbetween) for 6+ hrs per day for three days in a row on the OLED tv.  Not even a hint of image ghosting. Can't speak to if one did that for weeks on end, but with other stuff (like tv logos) I'm less fearful re: burn in at this point.  I'm sure it could happen but the way I use it anyway, doesn't seem much of a risk.  Still too small tho. Maybe I should go projection screen for adjustable size.  :shifty:

17 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

...for some reason that makes me feel old.  😛  On the bright side, since I never had any kids, no one is ever going to call me grandma!

Haha, sorry ^^

24 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It's so cold. Why do people live here? Why do I live here? Am I people?

We know why people live in Colorado, everyone knows?

Its the established Cannabis culture and explosion of exciting new  gastro-restaurants linked to that culture :sorcerer:....I would love to live in Colorado. 

Every time I watch a food channel show about the cuisine in Colorado it looks amazing and the food incredible 

• Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I drank some sparkling wine today - and the first time in my life it didn't taste like bubblesharts. It was actually pretty good. It could mean that to somebody who generally likes sparkling wine it tastes really bad... it could also mean that it's so unbelievably good that even my barbaric taste buds have to succumb... or that I'm really getting old now. Male menopause: sparkling wine suddenly tastes good. RIP

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 2/12/2021 at 12:48 AM, Gfted1 said:

Sorry to hear that uuuhhii. Maybe you can find a mobile game for your phone/tablet to hold you over?

access to game was a small part of the problem often electricity outage and some file damage was the cause

possibility of losing all data in the hard drive as last straw hit way too hard to handle

We had a big (for Seattle) snow dump overnight, which means I won't be going anywhere for a few days. Fortunately the forecasts were accurate this time and I was able to stock up with groceries. It looks pretty out there. ☃️

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

It's a quarter after 8 and it's negative 1 outside. Fahrenheit not Celsius.

It's 35 where I am and expected to drop down to single digits over the next few days. Given that most people around here don't know how to handle very cold weather and are really bad drivers anyway, I am staying the **** home over the next few days and enjoying a week-long weekend.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

It's a quarter after 8 and it's negative 1 outside. Fahrenheit not Celsius.

I live right up on Lake Superior. We're been in some kind of 'polar vortex system' or some such nonsense (that's what people keep calling it, I have no idea if it's actually accurate) for like a week here, and it's been negative 20 to negative 25 each night...without windchill. Some of the nights, the wind chill has been -40 or worse. I, too, question why I live here...until I remember that housing in my particular area is relatively sane, the summers aren't nearly as bad as the rest of the state thanks to being right on Superior (and I hate summer a lot more than winter, so that's important), and the water is so amazingly good that I dread the day I ever have to go somewhere else (you wouldn't think this is that important, but I cannot understate how nice it is to have pure crystalline tap water that is legitimately better than filtered water most everywhere else). I'm not happy with the cold, but I'll happily take it relative to my other options...so here is where I'll stay while I can, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

you wouldn't think this is that important, but I cannot understate how nice it is to have pure crystalline tap water that is legitimately better than filtered water most everywhere else

Quoted for truth. If you don't know anything else, excellent tap water is a boon that you only really start to appreciate when you're someplace else where it is... well, terrible, and potentially dangerous.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

Quoted for truth. If you don't know anything else, excellent tap water is a boon that you only really start to appreciate when you're someplace else where it is... well, terrible, and potentially dangerous.

Right. You'll have good tap water anywhere in the DACH-Region and won't realize that this is not a world-wide standard.
When I moved to Uzbekistan in 2010 the hardest thing was to "untrain" the behavior to drink tap water and use it for brushing teeth etc. Even using it for tea, coffee, cooking (rice, pasta etc.) wasn't recommended. You'll get used to it - but it was so weird at first and so inconvenient.
On the other hand all the kids in the neighborhood drank directly from the garden hose and didn't drop dead right on the spot - so maybe it wasn't so bad after all and we just were sissies. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Depends on what kind of garbage is in it. Lead poisoning won't kill most people, but it'll cause brain damage/underdevelopment and is likely to lead to a much earlier death!

The water difference up here is night and day compared to when I lived further down south...the tap water from where I was before was from the Mississippi, and let me tell you, the Mississippi is not even in the same universe as Lake Superior. I also actually prefer drinking hot water (not cold! ...also, note that I say "hot", not warm - warm water is terrible, hot water is great), so being able to just get great hot water from the tap is such a ridiculous convenience that I don't want to give up anytime soon.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

In the US, even the better tap water still has a ton of stuff in it that the cities add for disinfection etc.  Usually nothing to be concerned about but they can produce unappealing smells even if it's perfectly "safe" for drinking...

Our current city uses so much chloramine (not the same as volatile chlorine) that sometimes it smells like pool water.  Some days it's pretty mild/almost not noticeable, what I'd call normal for the whole Bay Area, and some days it's very strong.  There's nothing wrong with it for drinking per se - and I suppose a pool-smell is slightly better than a swampy smell (like some well waters) - but after a while (some years later - it's gotten worse over time) we bought this large gravity filter. 

Edited by LadyCrimson

We drink alkaline water for the most part in our house. Expensive bit seems to help with digestion and our constant exersizing.

Today I slept in for the first time.in ages, then went and did a trail run with a group. It was still very socially distanced, but it was the first real social event I have had in awhile. 

Then we hit the farmer's market and got some goodies. We started drinking and watching Chef on Netflix, so we walked down for some korean bbq from a local food truck and had a beer at a local brewery. Things are starting to open up a bit now that we crested our most recent wave.

It was a good day. 

• Like 2

Spent the day reading and playing Crusader Kings 3. I made blackened catfish and butter beans for dinner. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

We drink alkaline water for the most part in our house. Expensive bit seems to help with digestion and our constant exersizing.

You do realize that your stomach acids will re-acidify that water immediately? You should save that money for beer instead =D

Probably better than your tapwater though.

I'm spoiled in that I can just get pretty much perfect water from the lake here, just filter away the bigger things like dirt and I'm good to go.

• Like 1