What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

Today I finished my wardrobe cupboard I was talking about a few days earlier:

garderobe.jpg?dl=1

It's made from plywood (18mm birch), primer and paint (Farrow & Ball: De Nimes). The knobs are knurled controls from an old stereo.

It's on castors because behind it (in the wall) is the ugly heating circuit distributor for the underfloor heating system.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Bought a small, cheap "laptop" table as a desk extender.  I was using a clamp-to-desk board but it was a little too small and kept slipping so I'd have to readjust the clamps all the time.  Table is much better.  Hacksawed the metal tubes so min. height could be a little shorter and didn't use the included cheap wheels (sits on carpet in my case). Stable enough for a heavy KB, food plates, drinks, etc.  Not something to support a lot of weight but it does the job of portable desk-top just fine. Even has a long slot to rest your tablet/phones in.

And - mail order wise, imo Choi's kimchi is the best one.  One of the few snacks/sides I can eat tons of without guilt so I get it often.  I woke up this morning and shoveled some into my face first thing, in fact. Mmm.  Can you imagine life without tastebuds? I sure can't.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My situation with work is finalized as of today. My last day will be February 26. But the state does not buy back vacation days so I am on vacation effective immediately.

so, that’s it.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On to better things, GD!

My daughter had me take her to an Asian market called H Mart this weekend. It is a strange amalgamation of American Supermarkets and a Chinese street market. It was also the most crowded place I have been since Covid started, and so I was a bit uncomfortable. Still, the Korean pickled rice bowl I picked up was delicious. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

On to better things, GD!

My daughter had me take her to an Asian market called H Mart this weekend. It is a strange amalgamation of American Supermarkets and a Chinese street market. It was also the most crowded place I have been since Covid started, and so I was a bit uncomfortable. Still, the Korean pickled rice bowl I picked up was delicious. 

Just stay away from that weird pepper sauce they use in kimchi. I always gave me heartburn.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

39 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

On to better things, GD!

They've got one of those near my parent's house. Is it surrounded with a lot of Asian restaurants and stores? I usually don't go there because the produce is bad.

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Just stay away from that weird pepper sauce they use in kimchi. I always gave me heartburn.

That stuff is great though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Got a bit of a laugh when we had a proxy issue at work, Reddit was clear with the backup's filtering but this forum wasn't.  Guess CTO wasn't a fan.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We had some snowfall come in today.

When I started work at 3pm today I told my colleagues to call for road salt and snow ploughing. At 6pm we got a frontloader to move the old snowheaps they put in really stupid places. At 9 the salt car came and went over the yard. No ploughing plough. 5cms of snow plus salt, plus rapidly dropping temperatures didn't improve anything.

Needless to say it's been... interesting today, one utterly smashed trailer, a lorry thundered into the rear of one of our new trailers a short bit from we work, and more. Atleast I got to have a little bit of fun and skid around a bit.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

^ Rain may not generally be very adventurous/story-making, but it's a lot more fun to listen to.  :shifty: 

Sifting through movies on Netflix (usually I do series) ... there sure are a lot of low grade movies on there with famous to semi-famous people in them.  I've been making my way through several.  An alien-invasion type sci-fi film with Lee Pace called "Revolt" wasn't all that bad considering.  I need more supernatural horror films tho.  So few decent ones.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

^ Rain may not generally be very adventurous/story-making, but it's a lot more fun to listen to.  :shifty: 

Sifting through movies on Netflix (usually I do series) ... there sure are a lot of low grade movies on there with famous to semi-famous people in them.  I've been making my way through several.  An alien-invasion type sci-fi film with Lee Pace called "Revolt" wasn't all that bad considering.  I need more supernatural horror films tho.  So few decent ones.

I love listening to rain, but "listening" to snowfall is even better, there's a certain thick silence that comes with heavy snowfall that is just ❤️

And snow also comes with the added joy of drifting about :p

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I love listening to rain, but "listening" to snowfall is even better, there's a certain thick silence that comes with heavy snowfall that is just ❤️

And snow also comes with the added joy of drifting about :p

I agree about the soothing sound of rain, I cant comment on snowfalls of course but rain ....ah yes, I know rain

As I mentioned earlier I can think of nothing better than waking up to the sound of persistent rain , not necessarily hard rain 🌧️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Waking up to or falling asleep to the sound of heavy rain on the window sills is just lovely. More lovely if you're not going out to work in it 😄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Waking up to or falling asleep to the sound of heavy rain on the window sills is just lovely. More lovely if you're not going out to work in it 😄

Wait you right, I need to add a caveat. I love waking up to the sound of rain but not if I have to drive to work or a customer 🌧️ 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My Keurig broke. Second one now. Those things don’t last long do they? Oh well, time to break the old percolator pot out of the camping gear

Thomas Sowell

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I have the one thats instant on one side and has a pot on the other side, and its ~3+ years old and going strong.

I’ve never gotten three years out of one of the real ones. But that percolator was my dad‘s and he bought it in the 60s. 

Thomas Sowell

On 1/28/2021 at 3:42 AM, Guard Dog said:

Hey Dan was it worse than the typhoid vaccine? I remember that one being pretty terrible.

It was the worst reaction to a vaccination in my life. Keep in mind, GD, I was *much* younger when I went through all those shots.  I get the flu every year, but that's never caused anything.

As for you, Bruce, I feel ya. Just a few months before the terrible heat makes things miserable here.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

I need to go over my cars tomorrow morning, the temperatures are supposed to drop as low as -15C come nightfall, which is far below what I actually usually mix my coolants and wiper fluids for, it also means that all the salted roads are going to freeze over leaving a bunch of nice ice instead of slush/water. Good stuff. I'm kind of concerned about that actually since I don't have proper studded tyres at the moment and just friction tyres. ****.

Edited by Azdeus

5 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

It was the worst reaction to a vaccination in my life.

Thus far I've mainly had fatigue, some muscle soreness, and possibly a light fever. It's not what I would call pleasant but I seem to recall feeling worse overall muscle pain from the Tetanus vaccine.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

43 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I need to go over my cars tomorrow morning, the temperatures are supposed to drop as low as -15C come nightfall, which is far below what I actually usually mix my coolants and wiper fluids for, it also means that all the salted roads are going to freeze over leaving a bunch of nice ice instead of slush/water. Good stuff. I'm kind of concerned about that actually since I don't have proper studded tyres at the moment and just friction tyres. ****.

@Pidesco you might want to check your stuff too. :)

(would the forum software update and "at" the person I'm calling if I edit my old post? )

12 hours ago, Azdeus said:

@Pidesco you might want to check your stuff too. :)

(would the forum software update and "at" the person I'm calling if I edit my old post? )

Thanks for the heads up, but not quite that cold here, yet. Temperatures really go down as one goes further inland. Supposedly we'll get -12 at night in the next few days, but today wasn't that bad.

Additionally, the car port helps a lot with the car. Just parking the car with the front towards the house makes a definite difference to how cold the car gets.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My mother had a large percolator (60's? 70's?), with the clear lid handle so you could see the coffee jumping up and down into it.  As a kid I thought it was magic. Then eventually in the 80's she went to a Krups auto coffee maker and I never saw that thing again.

• Like 1

Well I blew about $400 today. I ordered 5 pounds of Blackthorne 209 synthetic black powder, 1k .50 AeroLite projectiles, two hundred .30 cal with . 50 sabots, 1k .72 cal Steel slugs as well as a couple of big boxes of paper patches and overshot wadding. The only thing I didn’t buy were primers but I’ve got plenty of those. We’re going to have some fun this weekend. I can see why the people who are into muzzleloaders are so passionate about it. It is a lot of fun. Plus I am convinced there is a proper shot and powder mixture that will make my rifle effective up to 800 m.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

11 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Thanks for the heads up, but not quite that cold here, yet. Temperatures really go down as one goes further inland. Supposedly we'll get -12 at night in the next few days, but today wasn't that bad.

Additionally, the car port helps a lot with the car. Just parking the car with the front towards the house makes a definite difference to how cold the car gets.

Yeah, they this afternoon the forecast had changed to -10, and at around nine it was -8. *sigh* Why do I trust the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute? Should just throw some bones or something. They missed the temperature forecast by 8C in less than 24 hours.

Was starving after work, and didn't feel like cooking, so I went and got a burger. The store was surprisingly crowded so I waited outside in my T-shirt, because I was too tired to fetch my jacket, they all stared at me through the windows like the freak that I am that like the cold. 🤣