What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

Previous thread:

Last few posts:

8 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Currently -40c in the Canadian prairies ... so reading and more reading occurring as we await a thaw on the Roost :)

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Ok, -40 is too much even for me. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

we got two EIP cards in the mail yesterday. am not eligible for stimulus so am curious if these is scam cards or perhaps an error as they appear legit. the toll free customer service telephone number looks authentic based on our intensive 30-second internet search. 

am knowing we should call immediate and straighten out the snafu, but somehow even the thought o' informing the government that they sent us money we don't deserve makes us feel a bit dirty and decided unamerican.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Was expecting a delivery today and when I went to check the status FedEx said they tried to deliver but nobody was home. Both my wife and I are home today, I have a wannabe guard dog, and a doorbell camera that records everything and nobody ever approached my door. I did my best Karen impression and called in to complain which is something I never do but in the face in such an obvious lie I couldn't help myself.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Was expecting a delivery today and when I went to check the status FedEx said they tried to deliver but nobody was home. Both my wife and I are home today, I have a wannabe guard dog, and a doorbell camera that records everything and nobody ever approached my door. I did my best Karen impression and called in to complain which is something I never do but in the face in such an obvious lie I couldn't help myself.

I initially felt your response was very " white, male privildgish ", and yes I know that can mean doing different things but unreasonable and impatient with how we decide to complain is one of them....but you not someone I can say who comes across as " white, male privlidege " so then if you think about the why FedEx would be slow to deliver is because I am sure they are involved in this important but clearly logistical nightmare of delivering the vaccines 

If that is the case I am sure you would agree that some delivery delays would be understandable. They should let people know even if it is assumed it would be obvious ? 

But then I read the last part of your post ....what did they say when you phoned in? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

**** like that is really embarrassing when someone you know has ordered home delivery from the company you work for, and they don't deliver. You know they didn't deliver, because you were at their place, sleeping over...

The one perk I have now though is that I actually have access to just... go and fetch the package and deliver it myself. 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

giphy.gif

Shady I think we both know what this is really about, its about guilt.

You should be feeing guilty and that's okay, guilt is part of being human. And sometimes you can even thank the person  who helped you identify the guilt?

Because now you can see what happened, you didn't  really phone in to complain because other mediums let you do this. But you felt the need to phone in, knowing it was unusual because it was unusual.....maybe you shouldn't be complaining  in this way ?

:lol:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

**** like that is really embarrassing when someone you know has ordered home delivery from the company you work for, and they don't deliver. You know they didn't deliver, because you were at their place, sleeping over...

The one perk I have now though is that I actually have access to just... go and fetch the package and deliver it myself. 😄

I wouldn't be as upset if it just didn't show. I'm bothered because they said they attempted delivery and nobody was home. I'm hoping they just went to the wrong address because if not then they lied about it because as I said my door is under surveillance all day and nobody ever showed up.

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm hoping they just went to the wrong address because if not then they lied about it because as I said my door is under surveillance all day and nobody ever showed up.

I've heard that some carriers will put 'attempted to deliver' if they're running behind so they don't have to deal with the package until another day but don't know how true that is.

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

16 hours ago, ShadySands said:

SOP for couriers here, DHL has earned my ire for doing this repeatedly.  Not sure if that is better or worse than the UPS guy throwing a package 30 feet at my door, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Deadly_Nightshade said:

I've heard that some carriers will put 'attempted to deliver' if they're running behind so they don't have to deal with the package until another day but don't know how true that is.

Potentially, but usually only if it's far out of the way and would result in other lost deliveries. See, here's the thing, while I can't speak for the situation in the US, I know a bit about the CEE area. Parcel delivery drivers don't get paid at all for failed deliveries, and for succesful ones only a ridiculous amount, like .5 € per package. They're all self-employed to circumvent labor protection laws and have to bring their own delivery vehicle that they need to brand out of their own pocket.

Consequently, each driver takes on as many packages as they can cram into their trucks and there's barely any time for the delivery guy to wait and see if someone opens the door. That's why they sometimes throw packages over the fence, and if they don't show up at all then that's mostly because your delivery would cost more time than it's worth. Fail one package but retain enough time to deliver four or five more, possibly to locations that usually work out all right, i.e. drop one private customer in Bumf*ck, Idaho in favor of five guaranteed paid package deliveries to companies?

Getting an idea yet why all these parcel distribution services are terrible for you as regular online shop user and nothing ever changes? That's by design.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

19 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I wouldn't be as upset if it just didn't show. I'm bothered because they said they attempted delivery and nobody was home. I'm hoping they just went to the wrong address because if not then they lied about it because as I said my door is under surveillance all day and nobody ever showed up.

Yeah, it's what happened to us aswell, we were like 6 people in the same appartment, so someone was bound to hear a doorbell.

14 hours ago, Deadly_Nightshade said:

They're probably trying to improve their statistics aswell. If they've "attempted to deliver" it looks much better in the data than them missing the window.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Potentially, but usually only if it's far out of the way and would result in other lost deliveries. See, here's the thing, while I can't speak for the situation in the US, I know a bit about the CEE area. Parcel delivery drivers don't get paid at all for failed deliveries, and for succesful ones only a ridiculous amount, like .5 € per package. They're all self-employed to circumvent labor protection laws and have to bring their own delivery vehicle that they need to brand out of their own pocket.

Consequently, each driver takes on as many packages as they can cram into their trucks and there's barely any time for the delivery guy to wait and see if someone opens the door. That's why they sometimes throw packages over the fence, and if they don't show up at all then that's mostly because your delivery would cost more time than it's worth. Fail one package but retain enough time to deliver four or five more, possibly to locations that usually work out all right, i.e. drop one private customer in Bumf*ck, Idaho in favor of five guaranteed paid package deliveries to companies?

Getting an idea yet why all these parcel distribution services are terrible for you as regular online shop user and nothing ever changes? That's by design.

I'm glad to be working for a decent company, we don't get paid per delivered package but monthly wage.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well I just found out that my time in my current job is coming to an end. I suppose I should’ve seen this coming because the amount of work that was being funneled our way was being dramatically reduced to about none for the last week. Can’t say the hand writing wasn’t on the wall. I have no desire to move to Nashville so I’m going to take the walk away package. 

Time to figure out what comes next.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Go into politics.

Been there, done that, never again!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oracle doing something nonsensical to me again - have a subquery, then a left join on the subquery, but that returns nothing when I can see the join should work. Then again, the issue of our devs writing cool things that either are a pain to maintain or have hidden issues they didn't think of is rearing its ugly head once more.

Edited by Malcador
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday.  Having served overseas and getting all scheduled vaxxes on time, I have never been hit so hard by a vax as I was by the second shot.  There were a couple of things that definitely didn't help.  First, I didn't get much sleep the night before.  Second, I only had my usually coffee the morning of.  Finally, I could have taken a Tylenol beforehand.  To be fair, I felt fine the first day.  It was the next morning that really kicked my ass.  I wouldn't even bother posting except to advise folks to take a different route.  Putatively, and by the FDA's own literature, the second shot typically can have more severe side effects, but you should do the same for both.  Different people can expect different side effects and, moreover, the same person might be impacted differently depending of variables that are frankly impossible to appreciate fully.  I would get a good night's sleep, eat at least a quick breakfast, take an analgesic before the shot (first or second), and make sure the next day is free just in case you feel a bitt run down.  sadly, I did none of the above and ended up having class the next morning.  I didn't have a choice about that.  I went in when work scheduled me. It was okay.  Just had to tough it out, but hedge your bets an give yourself a break if you can.

Also, I think I asked for advice about smokers a while back.  I decided to keep my wood smoker at home and I bought a pellet smoker, a Traeger, to keep at my out-laws because I knew my wife's brother wanted one.  It's been great.  We've used it a lot and my wife's mom even called to thank me because it's been such a hit that people are at her house more often.  Whoever advised it, I wanted to say thanks.  In a couple of months, when I am back again, I'll mention you by name if I can remember.  lol God bless, brothers, and stay safe! 

• Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Hey Dan was it worse than the typhoid vaccine? I remember that one being pretty terrible.

Thomas Sowell

Today I’m packing up, setting up the chicken feeder, loading Sunny into the truck and heading south. It’s cold. It’s wet. It’s depressing. Going to Florida for camping and fishing on the Gulf Coast. Maybe Shired Island. Maybe farther south. Somewhere there are no people. 

See you guys later 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I heard exercise also helps with the way the vaccine hits you, although that could just be those tricky doctors trying to get people to be healthy.

They are in league with the sports equipment industry, all funded by The Illuminati.

Rain and more rain = ants in my computer room.  Darnit.  It's very rare they come in here. After my initial cleanup I'll be spending the whole day crushing the odd stray ant here and there with my finger. Sigh. 

On another note, Amazon Fresh is working fine in my area again - no mobile needed, no waiting list, often same-day/4 hours after you order it delivery.  Awesome.  Thus I discovered pre-packaged broccoli-slaw.  That's the stalks of broccoli (left over from when companies sell you bags of just the crowns, I'd guess) turned into spaghetti like strands.  I don't care about making cole-slaw out of them - but stir fry those up with my usual other stuff and texture/taste wise it's almost like I am eating ... chow mien.  Only it's not bread-carbs. I'll be getting a couple bags of those every week now.  My new favorite thing!

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I never went fishing yesterday. That 8 Hour Dr. and all the packing just seemed like a pain in the ass. Still here at home.

Thomas Sowell

After about 6-7 days of stifling heat and the near end of summer I woke up this morning to rain.....lovely, glorious, cool rain 🌧️

I love waking up to the rain when its so rare 

• Like 2

John Milton