Politics US Edition (2021-vol 2)

Amentep

Georgia has reached the point where Atlanta and Savanna’ can overwhelm the rest of the state.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Metro-Atlanta and Savannah are where most of the state taxes come from (with some from Augusta and maybe Macon).

Population density is in favor of the Metro area on state wide votes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Margaret Kimberley on Twitter: "If Trump wants to get back at democrats this is what he should do. It also happens to be the right thing." / Twitter

Nice, the Russiagate fraud is being discredited, even on the Left.  What's right is right regardless of your political compass, and Russiagate was always wrong.

Is it a fraud? Is it wrong? We don't know yet; Trumpies claim it is, but that's pure conjecture on their part rather than fact, and the Trump camp is hardly known for its honesty. The problem is that the Russian interference needed to be investigated for national security reasons, even if the actual likelihood is low. Trump turned it into a political battle by obstructing the investigation, thereby raising suspicions. It remains an open question that still needs to be answered.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

26 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Former Colorado City mayor has an interesting approach to the current weather emergency.

"Harden the **** up" is what you'd expect, I have to say.  Well, could also expect "this is due to immorality/gays/liberals"

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

They've already tried to blame it on green energy so why not

LOL I have solar and it’s so useful right no I had to turn it off! I’m going to go with this being God‘s punishment. We’re so evil he rotated earth so the northern hemisphere Is further away from the sun. And if we’re not nice he’ll do it again next year! 

sometimes I feel sorry for God. He catches hell for a lot of stupid things

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, ShadySands said:

Oh my God I thought you were jokingOh my God I thought you were joking

• Haha 3

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Former Colorado City mayor has an interesting approach to the current weather emergency.

If someone doesn't punch this dude in the face I will be very disappointed.

37 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

At this point you should never assume anything is a joke.

Anywho I recently got power back after it being down for 12 hours (after previously losing it for a day) so I guess I can expect 4 hour blocks of power over the next few days outside of which I have no reliable way of keeping informed or ****ing around online. ERCOT and the entire Texas government can kiss my ass.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

fox news has been doubling down on the claims that the texas power outages is proof o' the non viability of the green new deal. 

it may be ludicrous, but recall that a large % of americans get their tv news almost exclusive from fox and from online sources even more mendacious.  many in the trump base will be parroting tucker carlson in the days and weeks to come.

iowa is also a red state hit hard by the recent cold, and the hawkeye state gets +40% o' its power from wind. during the winter months, texas gets 7% o' its electricity from wind, though yearly is just under 25%.  iowa is suffering blackout issues, but almost all is attributable to natural gas issues. 

admitted, antarctica is much drier than texas, so the icing problem is not the same in antarctica as were the case in texas, but is many places around the globe where wind turbines has been successful winterized.  nevertheless, fox is using this texas republican failure to properly regulate their energy producers as a way to make a point 'bout the evils o' renewable energy.

after the election and the loss o' fox vieweres to oan and newsmax, the network's gameplan looks to be an effort to out fox previous fox polarization efforts. fox post mortem conclusions were that as an organization they were being too sympathetic to opposing viewpoints and the fox news people had too much power with their insistence on at least infrequent referencing facts.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Situation in Texas shows the benefits of less regulations, for sure.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

38 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Situation in Texas shows the benefits of less regulations, for sure.

The temperatures seems less regulated :brows:

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

23 minutes ago, Gorth said:

The temperatures seems less regulated :brows:

which should be the position o' those who wanna defend texas for not regulating. point out that the storm is unprecedented may not be complete accurate given the warnings texas was provided by mother nature and the feds in 2011, but is at least a reasonable response. the harsh reality o' cost v. benefit analysis might lead to the conclusion that preparing for a unprecedented storm is economic inefficient in the long run.  opt instead for pathetic deflection and mendacious gaslighting? 

if wind turbines v winter were the problem, then north dakota should be facing yearly problems akin to what texas is facing today. north dakota gets a higher percentage o' its electricity from wind turbines than does texas and the historic cold weather in texas would be viewed as mild by a resident o' north dakota for this time o' year. yeah, when temps in north dakota drop below negative 20 F, which they do all too often, the wind turbines grind to a halt. the thing is, north dakota plans for such events and is not complete crippled by 'em.

nevertheless, governor abbott in texas, representative boebert in colorado and the considerable weight o' conservative talking heads at fox is nevertheless tilting at the wind mills. proof trumpism is not gone. there is many in the gop who realize that once an issue is framed as an us v. them situation, there is no need to provide facts or reasonable arguments. get the trump base angry at democrats and the green new deal and then abbott will not need to defend lack of regulation o' energy producers in texas. perhaps worse, the pure mercenary motives o' fox has 'em whipping the trump base into a lather 'cause doing so increases viewership.

fox and politicians know they is lying to viewers and constituents. lie 'bout the pandemic. lie 'bout the 2020 election. lie 'bout wind turbines? is some boardies who is gonna wanna try and claim that 2021 is no different than the past decades o' political and media mendacity. am calling bs. such claims is just another lie.  the problem is we don't see a way out o' the mess we have created in this country where people don't care 'bout the truth near as much as they is concerned 'bout preventing the other side from being able to claim they were right... 'bout anything.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Elerond said:

Wind turbines seem to work fine here in -23 degrees of Celsius (-9.4 degrees Fahrenheit), also Gas, Coal and Nuclear plants work, so I would guess that Texas' problems are caused them saving in cold resistance of their infrastructure 

Same over here, the cold itself didn't shut down anything

Edit; It would lower production in windfarms though due to icing

Swedish article; https://www.smhi.se/nyhetsarkiv/isbelaggning-bromsar-vindkraft-1.168598?l=null

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

At the risk of sounding cavalier about the troubles or harsh about the responses people really should understand that the systems you most rely on will fail the moment you most need them. It’s up to the individual to provide for their own needs when that happens. This is the same argument I use against gun control. You cannot count on the police to protect your family. In the moment of crisis the threat is there, the police are not. You cannot count on your utility provider to always have power for you. You cannot count on the grocery stores always being open. You have to prepare. Everyone should be able to survive in their homes alone for at least five days. With everything you need to make that work. And to be able to do that you need to prepare. It’s just common sense to me.

Thomas Sowell

Biden is uncomfortable being waited on by White House staff

have to agree with him on this one. I think I would rather get my own coffee and make my own sandwiches

Thomas Sowell

There is some merit to the fact, that you can't rely 100% on 'green' energy (the methods of production, getting resources, and longevity&waste of used elements put that green to a question mark) 

If you have a blizzard for 5-10 days with -20C then your solar panels, and largely wind turbines, and sweet water turbines are very inefficient in producing power vs consumption to maintain them somewhat operational. 

The best green energy we can hope for is a nucler fusion reactors, which then could be supported by solar and turbine based energy creators (to secure and diversify sources) 

In EU you had countries already buying energy and CO2 permissions from other countries, where electricty is mostly fossil fuel or nucleal based, just because the green energy production suffered during this winter. 

I can't say I'm surprised though, to see any crisis being used to bash each other and oversimplifing causes and exaggerating impact of these simplified causes. 

Note: there was a snowfall even on Sahara this winter. 

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

At the risk of sounding cavalier 

"cavalier" is not the word we would use.

am waiting to see if @KaineParker suggests you need a punch in the face before we say more... though we will share a news story, just to give gd something to think 'bout in the interim.

Thousands of cars form lines to collect food in Texas

HA! Good Fun!

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

At the risk of sounding cavalier about the troubles or harsh about the responses people really should understand that the systems you most rely on will fail the moment you most need them.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/539408-at-least-36-deaths-now-attributed-to-severe-winter-weather-in-texas-other

Not everyone has ability to get prepared for any disaster that may happen, and this goes beyond just monetary issues. I prepared well and came out alright (only about 36 hours without power), but a lot of people I know who prepared as best they could are looking at their living spaces needing extensive work before they can have running water or reliable heat. A bootstraps lecture in response to collapsing infrastructure seems like asking for an ass kicking.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Perry-says-Texans-wiling-to-suffer-blackouts-to-15956705.php

Conservatives in the US are really paranoid about "leftist" overreach. And again wind and solar are to blame here.

Edited by Malcador