Politics US Edition (2021-vol 2)

Amentep

we fully support mr. navarro's suggestion. am thinking this is a fantastic idea. a trump defense should be directed by an individual with a dubious ethical code who understands that all you need to convince the trump base o' anything they already wanna believe is volume and a bit o' gaslighting. as long as the republican party is pandering to the trump base, sound legal representation is a waste. what trump needs is an infernal carnival barker. matt gaetz were born for the role.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jennifer-psaki-is-the-new-white-house-press-secretary-she-is-a-connecticut-native-who-grew-up-in-greenwich/ar-BB1cYwys

Im very impressed with the new WH press secretary, Jennifer Psaki is doing  a good job. To quote from the article they going to bring back  " truth and transparency back to the briefing room.” She is cogent, sincere, intelligent and comes across in a reasonable way 

I also like how part of the new Biden policy is to admit when you get something wrong, its a good start around how the new WH deals with the media which is such an important part of all our Democracies

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Im very impressed with the new WH press secretary, Jennifer Psaki is doing  a good job. To quote from the article they going to bring back  " truth and transparency back to the briefing room.” She is cogent, sincere, intelligent and comes across in a reasonable way 

And if anyone have any question she will circle back 😁

Unless you give her questions in advance, but for Dems I guess "This is the way".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9215479/amp/WH-press-asking-reporters-questions-Jen-Psakis-briefing-despite-promising-transparency.html

166215__front.jpg

5 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Since there was some discussion about whether food prices had risen a week or so ago.

The answer from the UN at least is that yes, they have been.

And they will be going up further. 

You can't conjure more food out of thin air, and limiting mobility and access to seasonal jobs would also raise prices due to either lower output or higher cost of production. 

No one talks about it yet, but there will be a breaking point in the debt driven permanent growth based economy, as you will reach limit of space/housing and drive those up in price (for example, see if there is no odd occurances of increasing prices of estate while at the same time lowering the number of sales, normally it should drive prices lower eventually, right?) and food prices going faster up than the wages in the lower percentiles of incomes. 

EDIT: additional reason, why they want to produce protein food out of bugs in EU, to substitute current food sources for the masses. 

Edited by Darkpriest

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

You can't conjure more food out of thin air, and limiting mobility and access to seasonal jobs would also raise prices due to either lower output or higher cost of production. 

No one talks about it yet, but there will be a breaking point in the debt driven permanent growth based economy, as you will reach limit of space/housing and drive those up in price (for example, see if there is no odd occurances of increasing prices of estate while at the same time lowering the number of sales, normally it should drive prices lower eventually, right?) and food prices going faster up than the wages in the lower percentiles of incomes. 

EDIT: additional reason, why they want to produce protein food out of bugs in EU, to substitute current food sources for the masses. 

Everyone who laughed at the crazy redneck preppers won’t be laughing soon

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

It is estimated that EFSA will approve cultured meat this year or at latest 2022. Cultured meat plants are estimated to be able to tenfold current meat production before 2040 and same time drop price of meat to fraction what is now.

Bugs as protein source isn't most likely lowering price of food in next decade, because mass producing lines for bugs and bug food and food safety testing  doesn't appear from thin air.  Cricket products were pop here couple years ago, but farmers weren't able to produce enough crickets to produce non-niche products and prices of products were two to three times higher than other options, so currently cricket products have mostly died, even though people mostly gave positive reviews for the products, because people didn't want to pay so much extra after initial try.

"No one talks about it yet, but there will be a breaking point in the debt driven permanent growth based economy,"

beauty of the system is that you can do it as long as no-one  questions it, as amount money existing is just numbers in central banks' databases and that number can always be larger.

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

That's why we need organized decisive action as a collective and drop this individualistic crap, it's the only way we're gonna get out of this mess.  Every few scores of years, Americans finally realize that working together is the best solution.

Nuts to that. People will starve to death waiting for the collective to take care of them. A persons welfare and that of their family is their primary responsibility. You have to look out for yourself. Because nobody else is going to. That does not mean you’re not part of a community and don’t have a duty to help in one way or another. But I’ll pulling out in the 1930s a hell of a lot of people starved to death in a country where food production was a collective enterprise

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

21 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

She’s right about one thing. Congress is making way too much money.  She’s right about something else to one of the reasons social programs are such an expensive boondoggle is there administered by people who have absolutely no idea what they’re doing, no understanding of the impact of their breakdowns, or even that there are breakdowns. Speaking from personal experience actual knowledge of science, economics, sociology, or any practical relevant and applicable, real world knowledge is not required for government service. Add to tell you the truth it’s not all that common. And that’s why governments in every level burn money faster than a pyromaniac with a flamethrower with little to show for it but ashes. And it will never, ever, ever be fixed. These problems will go on forever. Because no one is going to be down for what’s required to fix it. Starting with giving up those $40,000 furniture allowances. But even that much won’t happen which is why these conversations are head over and over and over for generations following generations. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

That's why we need organized decisive action as a collective and drop this individualistic crap, it's the only way we're gonna get out of this mess.  Every few scores of years, Americans finally realize that working together is the best solution.

Collective organization is all fine and dandy, but those pesky corpses keep piling up. But don't get discouraged Boxer, remember you just need to work harder.

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg

We all pay taxes (I'm guessing). It's completely reasonable to expect something back. Hold your government accountable if it doesn't provide good services for the money you pay them.

One thing I like that's started happening here in recent years is that food stores in cooperation with the government made a pledge/commitment to massively reduce food waste. So now all food stores have big discounts on stuff close to its expirey date. Would have loved that stuff back when I was a student.

Is this when we start asking the IRS if we can get itemised receipts for how they used the tax money?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

13 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Is this when we start asking the IRS if we can get itemised receipts for how they used the tax money?

GAO probably, not IRS. 

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The US government budget is public information. Anyone can see it. If you are an American and it doesn’t piss you off I don’t know what will.

Thomas Sowell

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not surprisingly, the Congress critters who have contracted COVID-19 are predominantly Republican. I suppose you can say they're taking one for the team, but the logic is daft.

• Gasp! 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So any predictions around Trumps possible second impeachment?

I doubt he will be impeached for several reasons but mostly I dont think Trumps intention was the actual overthrow of the Capitol and therefore  it wasnt  " real " insurrection

More Republicans I believe will vote to impeach Trump than the last time, which was only Romney ,  which will make history but you wont get enough votes  IMO?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So any predictions around Trumps possible second impeachment?

I doubt he will be impeached for several reasons but mostly I dont think Trumps intention was the actual overthrow of the Capitol and therefore  it wasnt  " real " insurrection

More Republicans I believe will vote to impeach Trump than the last time, which was only Romney ,  which will make history but you wont get enough votes  IMO?

They won’t get enough votes to convict. It’s just unfortunate that this small and contemptible little man is still sucking up so much of the national air time and attention.

past time we turn our backs on and just forget the son of a bitch

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

Ammon Bundy, veteran of armed standoffs, builds militia network on COVID backlash

Get a load of this one. They’ve even got an app where you can call the militia to come and help. I need that. I need to do some tree trimming I wonder if they will help with that if I tell them the government doesn’t want me to do it!

Thomas Sowell

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

past time we turn our backs on and just forget the son of a bitch

1/3 of the country still sees him as their far right catalyst so it's kind of hard to ignore the elephant in the room.

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Ammon Bundy, veteran of armed standoffs, builds militia network on COVID backlash

Get a load of this one. They’ve even got an app where you can call the militia to come and help. I need that. I need to do some tree trimming I wonder if they will help with that if I tell them the government doesn’t want me to do it!

I'm so glad I live in the Northeast! I'd probably go ape**** at the presence of these dumb twerps.  I mean yeah we have our fair share of rednecks (every state does) but they're certainly not organized and are largely isolated and tucked away in small circles.

US military struggles to answer how many extremists in its ranks

well it looks like the United States military is about to get a friendly visit from the thought police. That’s one of the many things I just cannot stomach about the goddamn left. It’s not enough to win elections they have to make sure everybody is thinking “correctly” as they define it. And even in this article they flat out say they don’t know what “correct” will be. The military is a slice of the population. You will find every political and ideological stripe in it in near equal proportions as the population at large. The only thing that sucks for them as they are a captive audience. A lab rat to the government operatives who, if so inclined, can f—k with them without mercy or opposition.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell