Politics US Edition (2021-vol 2)

Amentep

11 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Market, or FED printing machine that pushed money through banks and treasury, who gulped the money from the market to run high deficit, and push the money onto hands of masses of people, who without jobs try their luck as retail traders. 

Heh. And here I thought it was mostly a result of fractional reserve banking and overlending (both arguably the result of underregulation, rather) and the financial derivatives "economy" being ~10x the world's combined GDP. But no, it's actually the Federal Reserve giving money to the poor to spend on avocado toast, or something.

Guess that's the "real" money you mentioned you were turning your ideas into?

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

32 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Pump and Dump doesn't need you to supply bad news though, once you've pumped it, you sell and that's that. 

Certainly doesn't require it, but the best strategy for maximising returns is to (artificially) inflate the price, then short it at the start of the dump phase. A coordinated sequence of bad news is a good way to make sure that happens.

I never got the avocado toast meme, bread and avocados are relatively cheap and as a meal it wouldn't be much more expensive to make than eggs and meat. Is it because avocados are weird?

I will say the hedge funds loosing a load of money because redditors is just funny, as are all the financial types and journos freaking out.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

16 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Certainly doesn't require it, but the best strategy for maximising returns is to (artificially) inflate the price, then short it at the start of the dump phase. A coordinated sequence of bad news is a good way to make sure that happens.

Regardless, people are watching this and "FOMO" is influencing a gravitational pull on their thinking. Whether the "pump" is intentional or not, it's difficult to argue that it isn't happening.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

I never got the avocado toast meme, bread and avocados are relatively cheap and as a meal it wouldn't be much more expensive to make than eggs and meat. Is it because avocados are weird?

I will say the hedge funds loosing a load of money because redditors is just funny, as are all the financial types and journos freaking out.

“When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn’t trying to buy smashed avocado for $19 and 4 coffees at $4 each.”

Whole meme is based on some media quoting (bit wrongly) that interview that young people can't afford buy houses because they spend so much in avocado toasts and coffee.

TIME @TIME TIME Follow Millionaire to millennials: Stop buying avocado toast if you want to buy a home Millionaire to Millennials: Stop Buying Avocado Toast If You Want to Buy a Ho... Avocado prices have soared in recent years time.com Avocado toast Toast

So whole meme is based on people listening hour long interview and picking most irrelevant detail and making it their point why young people aren't able to afford  houses in today's market

3 hours ago, 213374U said:

Guess that's the "real" money you mentioned you were turning your ideas into?

I guess I need to avoid writing simplified versions of what drives what. I guess you do you. 

In the meanwhile, look at what I've posted to @Guard Dog as a reply in one of the threads, and what I would do and what I wouldn't do, and then compare that to the date I said it and now think how do I feel based on the last couple trading days.

Some things happened, some didn't (or did?) trigger (yet? maybe? who knows? )

Biden Freezes US Arms Sales to Saudis; Reviews UAE Sales – Consortiumnews

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Biden so far, I thought he'd be like the worst of Obama and the worst of Trump but so far he's disproving that thesis.

Perhaps the next two years will be pretty swell until things go wrong again and people become more radicalized and demand decisive single minded action.

Enjoy this short lived tranquility.

Edited by ComradeMaster

Maybe not directly US politics per se, but for that fairly uncomplicated explanation..

EsyCbecW8AgBP4-?format=jpg&name=large

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Alternatively there's an entire Hollywood movie about the 09 crisis that explains what a short is and is called The Big Short. Go watch it. It's really good, educational, and quite funny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If you want to understand what short selling really is you watch Trading Places with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akaroyd. 

Plus it was a funny and good movie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

49 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

If you want to understand what short selling really is you watch Trading Places with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akaroyd. 

Plus it was a funny and good movie

A financial regulation references it as well, sort of odd they fixed it in 2010 or so. 

Robin Hood cut them off, well from the current stocks they're yelling about - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/robinhood-interactive-brokers-restrict-trading-in-gamestop-s.html

Guess they have to use a real broker now :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Alternatively there's an entire Hollywood movie about the 09 crisis that explains what a short is and is called The Big Short. Go watch it. It's really good, educational, and quite funny.

It's a good book as well :)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

A financial regulation references it as well, sort of odd they fixed it in 2010 or so. 

Robin Hood cut them off, well from the current stocks they're yelling about - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/robinhood-interactive-brokers-restrict-trading-in-gamestop-s.html

Guess they have to use a real broker now :p

Well, it is ought to end up with losses for a lot of small folk 'rallying' behind the just case. 

Meanwhile HFTs rake in money at some collateral cost of bailing a Fund for the chunk of ownership in the bailed out Fund. 

rz0sz4s274e61.png

I just about died reading this

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, he's not entirely wrong 😛 But don't hate the player, etc.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Well, he's not entirely wrong 😛 But don't hate the player, etc.

He's not wrong, it's just hilarious watching rich people get upset when the tables are turned on them. Especially when they've been getting massive welfare almost uninterrupted since 2008 in the form of quantitative easing, bailouts and interest free loans which has seen their net worth soar while everyone else's has at best stagnated.

"Won't someone spare a thought for the unfortunate billionaires of the world?" is not exactly a rallying cry for the ages, and the thought most people would spare is not exactly a sympathetic one.

• Like 5

Wonder how much big firms have made off this.  Also will be interesting to see what regulatory changes come out of this in the US, politicians seeing this as an opportunity and all.

Edited by Malcador

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

rz0sz4s274e61.png

I just about died reading this

I think "**** around and find out" is a good response to a pampered dip**** like Cooperman.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands