Politics US Edition (2021-vol 2)

Amentep

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Does anyone here think price controls are a good idea? Artificially fixing the price of a widget based on some arbitrary value or idea?

Loaded question aside, it depends on what the good or service is and why the price control is being proposed.

Did you have something specific in mind?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

So I see Dominion Voting Systems are suing Rudy Giuliani for 1.5 Billion dollars due to defamation over all those claims he made over the election. Citing the danger it posed to their employees, and how many received death threats and such.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 minute ago, Raithe said:

So I see Dominion Voting Systems are suing Rudy Giuliani for 1.5 Billion dollars due to defamation over all those claims he made over the election. Citing the danger it posed to their employees, and how many received death threats and such.

The number I heard was $1.3B. I believe there's a similar suit on the way for the future governor of Minnesota and current CEO of MyPillow

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Joe Biden-Administration may focus only on internal issues | The Vineyard of the Saker

Great blog post here, proof that you can find nuggets if you're willing to dig through dung to find them.

President Biden has frequently stressed the term “unity” in his opening address, precisely what’s needed in present China-US relations. Because over the past four years, a small number of anti-China politicians in the United States have misled and lied too much out of their political interests and prompted too much hatred and division, and the people of both countries have all been hurt because of it. Many people of vision from China, the United States, and the international community hope China-US-Russia relations will get back to the right path at an early date. All sides can work together to meet the significant persistent challenges facing the world today. The same is valid in the case of Russia-US relations. President Biden said in his opening address; democracy allows disagreement, and “Disagreement must not lead to disunion”. It is hoped this should also be revealed in his foreign policy. Countries with different political & social systems, cultural backgrounds, and ideologies should and are fully capable of coexisting in harmony, engaging in dialogue and collaboration, and collectively work for world peace, stability and prosperity. President Biden also mentioned that the United States “has too much to heal, much to restore.”

50 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Looks like Rudy will need to start his own gofundme web site.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

The number I heard was $1.3B. I believe there's a similar suit on the way for the future governor of Minnesota and current CEO of MyPillow

have mentioned previous, but am expecting where this genuine becomes paradigm altering is after dominion succeeds with their defamation suits and then go after publishers o' rudy such as fox, aon and newsmax. the $1.3 billion is a number dominion is aware rudy would never be able to pay, so go after publishers then becomes an option IF they succeed in showing defamation and IF they prove fox/aon/newsmax knew or shoulda' known that rudy's claims were false.

the reputation o' canadians as nice and polite may take a hit from this, but we says, Go team Dominion. the lawyers for Dominion (americans) is also in kinda slam dunk mode regarding defamation as you can see from our previous links if you have the unlikely patience to read through their factual basis offerings. the lawyers is joking (as much as is possible in a lawsuit) and having fun with this. 

but again, the BILLION numbers is existing precise 'cause is no way rudy would ever be able to pay. get the publishers for the big money and if successful, the entire industry changes. is no way oan or newsmax can pay either and that kinda money would make even rupert murdoch wince. 

is a long way to go, but as ridiculous as it current appears as the mypillow guy and rudy is being sued for billions, there is genuine potential for these lawsuits to be altering the way in which cable news does business.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is a long way to go, but as ridiculous as it current appears as the mypillow guy and rudy is being sued for billions, there is genuine potential for these lawsuits to be altering the way in which cable news does business.

The part where we start hearing about the need for tort reform again?

2 minutes ago, Achilles said:

The part where we start hearing about the need for tort reform again?

possibly. there is much misunderstanding 'bout tort damages but is perfect understandable as is not the kinda subject taught in any schools other than law or a few university polisci classes, and rare does a media outlet explain... or have time to explain. am sympathizing a bit as am not certain how many times we has functional reposted how punitive damages work even though same obsidian boardies express consternation every time a massive punitive damage award gets reported. 

there is some legitimacy in the recognition that when it comes to the massive damage cases, the lawyers always get paid. for example, even if is a class action wherein each party receives $1, the lawyers may makes tens o' millions. feels unfair. however, once you frame issue as the money-grubbing lawyers are getting rich at the expense o'___________, the possibility for meaningful discussion drops precipitous. 

as we noted earlier with taxes, americans has a sense o' fairness which may not be realistic and any attempt to explain or reason runs up against what persons know should be the law.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

EsnfG9RXYAADLZ8?format=jpg&name=small

Trump leaves people speechless after announcing his next step as former president (msn.com)

Donald Trump is no longer the president of the United States of America but that doesn’t mean that he can’t pretend that he is still the president.

According to a press release on Monday, Trump has now established ‘the office of the former president’ in his current retreat in Palm Beach, Florida. The office will reportedly act as a vehicle for Trump’s future public appearances and statements and “official activities to advance the interests of the United States.”

The office will be run by aides of his former administration as well as other staff members. The statement said that Trump “will always and forever be a champion for the American people.”

Trump has not made any extensive comments about his future plans but this move will likely spark speculation that he could run for president again in 2024. He did tell the Washington Examiner “We'll do something, but not just yet” and there are reports that he will launch primary challenges against Republicans who he feels wronged him such as Brian Kemp and Liz Cheney.

Regardless of what happens next, the new title of his office has certainly raised a few eyebrows and mockery.

Edited by Raithe

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

possibly. there is much misunderstanding 'bout tort damages but is perfect understandable as is not the kinda subject taught in any schools other than law or a few university polisci classes, and rare does a media outlet explain... or have time to explain. am sympathizing a bit as am not certain how many times we has functional reposted how punitive damages work even though same obsidian boardies express consternation every time a massive punitive damage award gets reported. 

there is some legitimacy in the recognition that when it comes to the massive damage cases, the lawyers always get paid. for example, even if is a class action wherein each party receives $1, the lawyers may makes tens o' millions. feels unfair. however, once you frame issue as the money-grubbing lawyers are getting rich at the expense o'___________, the possibility for meaningful discussion drops precipitous. 

as we noted earlier with taxes, americans has a sense o' fairness which may not be realistic and any attempt to explain or reason runs up against what persons know should be the law.

HA! Good Fun!

Guess I'll have to wait to see one of those arguments being made so that I can wrap my head around it. Trying to picture someone arguing that a defendant shouldn't have to pay punitive damages because it might result in a lawyer getting money, but it's hard to imagine.

2 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I suppose if the Lincoln Project hadn't called it weeks ago, I'd probably find this surprising.

Now let's see if they nailed the part of him selling it as a subscription service.

am hopeful trump enjoys a lifetime tenure in his new office.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

@Gromnir

Would you know what is this about? 

Some Ute-tribe letter against Biden's action? 

yes.

no. is a request for an exemption.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

DXYM-CWUMAARZZS?format=jpg&name=900x900

Heh, and seeing the stuff on Riley Williams is an interesting clash of points.

I'm seeing the comparisons of "Kalief Browder - Allegedly stole a backpack at 16, spent 3 years at Riker's Island without trial.  Riley Williams allegedly stole a laptop from Speaker Pelosi's office and tried selling it to Russians, released to her mother."

However, then it's being balanced on the "Ah, but the main allegations come from her ex-bf who she now claims is stalking her and threatened to rape her. Which excuses her from taking part in the capital riots and directing people to Pelosi's office."

15 hours ago, Achilles said:

Loaded question aside, it depends on what the good or service is and why the price control is being proposed.

Did you have something specific in mind?

I just find it ironic that many times the people who oppose price controls are in favor of minimum-wage and it’s expansion. A widget is worth what a widget is worth.

But that’s just me being philosophical. Like I told the great legal barbarian of the west The ideas of free markets, real economic liberty, in the Austrian school have been rejected. We’re just not going to do them.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

30 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I just find it ironic that many times the people who oppose price controls are in favor of minimum-wage and it’s expansion.

Good news is that you have no cause to fear inconsistency from me; I'm mostly in favor of both

A widget is worth what a widget is worth.

LOL, good one! :)

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

A widget is worth what a widget is worth.

It's worth exactly how much money you can squeeze out of people for it....

Edit: regardless of whether it's actually "worth" anything. You could argue a McDonald burger is a health hazard and of no nutritional value. It still gets sold as "food" and they seem to do well financially.

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The ideas of free markets, real economic liberty, in the Austrian school have been rejected. We’re just not going to do them.

Good thing too, because a free (and unregulated) market leads to a totalitarian market regime, led by monopolies.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Good thing too, because a free (and unregulated) market leads to a totalitarian market regime, led by monopolies.

never mind. If you happen to see what I posted here before I erased it please accept my apologies. It was uncharacteristically nasty and nothing that Gorth or any other who felt they were a target of my derision deserved. I’m just in a bad mood today I guess. 

Plus I am beginning to find these political discussions extremely tedious because they are so repetitive. It only took 15 years to get to this point.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

you know most of us have been posting here for 15 years now. And for 15 years we’ve been largely repeating ourselves. I think I finally hit the point where that starting to bother me.

You could join the anarchist party :brows:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

20 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Well that depends on how elastic demand is, which may be impacted by the relative availability of alternative goods or services, not to mention buyer preferences and...oh heck, this economics thing sure is complicated. Thank goodness economists go to school for years and years so that *somebody* actually understands this stuff.

Hypothesis 1: The Austrian school is vastly superior in every way, but there's a conspiracy that spans generations, national boundaries, and political parties to repress it because...reasons, I guess.

Hypothesis 2: The Austrian school sounds great on paper, but doesn't actually work in the real world, hence why actual economists don't pay it much mind.

Edited by Achilles
clarifying argument
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gorth said:

You could join the anarchist party

We do have blackjack and hookers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

19 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Does anyone here think price controls are a good idea? Artificially fixing the price of a widget based on some arbitrary value or idea?

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Plus I am beginning to find these political discussions extremely tedious because they are so repetitive.

How did we get here?

I thought it was well established that the Austrian school of economics is a bunch of nutters following an agenda, with little basis in actual science.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

5 minutes ago, Achilles said:

How did we get here?

Not quickly

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thomas Sowell