Put ‘em on ice! The 2021 Hockey Thread.

Guard Dog

We stand in the first week of a shortened season. But at least this time it will be a continuous season. And maybe the 2021 - 2022 will get back on track and things can start getting back to normal in the world of hockey.

my two teams the predators and the Panthers will both be fielding a competitive club this season. The Panthers probably a bit less so. For some reason they are at odds with Yandle their best defenseman and have told him that despite his huge contract he will not be playing for the Panthers this season. Which kind of sucks. 

my favorite YouTube channel urinating tree has completed their preseason analysis. seriously if you guys have not subscribed to this channel you really should because he’s better than anything you’ll see on TV.

and if you have a bit more time this is a really interesting video that shows how impactful the Wayne Gretzky trade in 1988 has been on the NHL. 

The goalies between the pipes the teams are lined up for a face-off, time to drop the puck.

Edited by Guard Dog
Speech to text screwed me
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I love that Gretzky video, watched it a few weeks ago.

Sharks are going to be very Sharky. I don't think they will make the playoffs. But I am excited to watch Patty Marleau break the most games played record. Eff that guy in the first video, he can still play. He had 10 goals in 58 games last season, and 3 of them were game winners, so he can still get it done. Considering the lack of depth on offense the team has, he will get some good looks on his way to breaking Gordie Howe's record. 

I've been watching him play in San Jose since he was 17, and I am the same age, so of course I'm biased. But the guy has had an amazingly consistent career. He gets knocked for not winning major awards, but he is in rare company with his career numbers.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 12:52 AM, rjshae said:

Apparently Seattle is getting an NHL team. I've never really followed the sport before so I'm not sure how to feel about that.

It’s a perfect opportunity to get into it. It’s full contact soccer on ice only a lot faster. It’s a great game. In fact I think there is nothing in sports more beautiful than a perfectly executed give and go or a goal scoring one timer from the defenseman to the wing. I take either of those over a Hail Mary touchdown.

However both pale in comparison to a grand slam in baseball. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Panthers have opened up their season with two games against Chicago. They beat the Hawks both times. My early read on this team is they can score a lot of goals but they can’t really prevent the other team from doing the same. At least the Panthers have buried the hatchet with Keith Yandel. His presence on the blue line is sorely needed and he’s already got three assists in two games.

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

Can you believe the Panthers choked on a two goal lead with less than two minutes to go against the Predators last night?  Bobvrosky lets a hell of a lot of shots get by him for the kind of money he’s making. Whenever he’s in net the Panthers have to put at least five on the board to win. They still got a point and I’m really happy about that but Jesus man a two goal lead two minutes you can’t put that away? Hell even the Red Wings scared us last week the same way and they were terrible. But for all that they still have 12 points and no regulation losses. I’ll take that.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Panthers 5 Lightning 2

HUZZAH!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30945519/new-york-rangers-artemi-panarin-taking-leave-assault-allegations-surface%3fplatform=amp

well this is the kind of PR thing you don’t want. On another note I believe this is the first hockey story ESPN has run all season. It’s like this sport does not exist to ESPN.

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very excited to watch Marleau break the record tonight. What a career! He's never had the massive seasons and awards, but at the end of the day he has had a tremendous impact on my home town and my hockey club. I basically grew up watching him score big goals for the Sharks. I was a senior in high school his rookie year.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Referees absolutely F——d the Panthers disallowing that first goal on a bulls—t call. That set the stage for the first lightning call and everything that came there after. Not cool with this. Not in a good place at all.

Thomas Sowell

The Panthers forced game six last night with a rookie goaltender. That has been our biggest failing throughout this playoffs. Actually throughout the whole damn season. Weak goalie play. Bobvrosky has been a horrifyingly expensive bust. Drieger Is a second string goalie at best. Throughout the series it’s not like the lightning have had a lot of shots on goal for the amount of goals they scored. The Panthers fore checking and blue line game is pretty decent. Knight got in there last night and made the stops. I wonder if they will stick with him.

they are down three games to two. They have to win two more in a row. I don’t know if my heart can take this.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Well... this just... it SUCKS!

It just f——-g sucks

Thomas Sowell