Politics US Edition (2021!)

Amentep

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

and known in our media

You just answered your own question. Welcome to the real world.

The anarchist party is still open for applications ;)

5 hours ago, IndiraLightfoot said:

Still, remember folks. The numbers printed on bills or prices per se are not that important

I once set up "Chicken" as a third currency in a customers ERP system while testing exchange rates between British Pounds, Euros and... chickens. Luckily the customer could see the funny side of it and no, they didn't offer to pay their suppliers in chickens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

You just answered your own question. Welcome to the real world.

The anarchist party is still open for applications ;)

I once set up "Chicken" as a third currency in a customers ERP system while testing exchange rates between British Pounds, Euros and... chickens. Luckily the customer could see the funny side of it and no, they didn't offer to pay their suppliers in chickens.

How much was seven chickens worth? Am I wealthy?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

How much was seven chickens worth? Am I wealthy?

q1) dunno. there is a jet black chicken breed which produces black meat. is a few thousand $ for a breeding pair. growing up, we mostly had buff orpington, which were kinda unusual in our neck o' the woods though our grandmother insisted they produced the most eggs. plymouth rock were popular with the neighbors as they handle the cold weather like champs. 

our infrequent visits to the feed store in wilton, ca tells us that chicks for most future egg layers cost between $4-$5. unsure how much an adult breeding pair costs. no doubt much less than the jet black variety.

q2) possibly, but not 'cause o' your chickens.

@Raithe

the woman who made bernie sanders' mittens has options if you are interested. she is a vermont school teacher who repurposes old sweaters... we read that the interior fleece used in the mittens is actual some kinda recycled plastic. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps 

a disturbing look through a window into the maga world

Edited by Gromnir
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

I am a big fan of Quixotic gestures and lost causes. But I also think tilting at windmills is something best done on your own time. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

40 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I am a big fan of Quixotic gestures and lost causes. But I also think tilting at windmills is something best done on your own time. 

Best to assume you're referring to Congresswoman Greene or...?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Senator Ted Cruz on Twitter: "By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he’s more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs of the citizens of Pittsburgh. This agreement will do little to affect the climate and will harm the livelihoods of Americans." / Twitter

Beyond parody at this point.

"By attending the Geneva Convention, person X is demonstrating that they are more interested in the citizens of of Switzerland than the citizens of Georgia"

Also,

Instacart is firing every employee who voted to unionize - The Verge

Corporations are people to you know

Edited by ComradeMaster

Its even funnier if you remember that the mayor of Pittsburgh at the time Trump pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement said they planned to still follow the agreement...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 minutes ago, Achilles said:

personal, we only got ~1/2 through the clip, so perhaps we missed something. video guy is in favor o' setting precedent o' using impeachment as a public inquest with much more frequency. nevertheless, clip guy makes such an observation in context o' greene's attempt to impeach President biden while recognizing biden were already investigated by senate and house republicans. fbi investigated. multiple IGs had an opportunity to investigate biden.

impeachment don't get better investigation. is arguable that impeachment pre-trump at least would force the executive to provide documents and witnesses not otherwise available to IG or Congressional committees, but sadly that particular previous precedent were thrown out the window. 

now the thing is, the fbi and other law enforcement agencies has policies against divulging details o' dropped investigations for what should be obvious reasons. similar and even more intuitive is the reasons for keeping details o' an investigation quiet while an investigation is ongoing. a reputation may be destroyed by the conclusions people draw from incomplete investigations. impeachments is anything but quiet and is less than ideal when the investigator has the entire US public aware o' who and what is being investigated. messy. particular given the current state o' political polarization, every investigation may be weaponized. once more we will reference biden and his actions regarding the efforts to oust shokin. perhaps no Presidential candidate has been investigated to the degree biden was, but you may review the obsidian board political threads to see how many times biden were accused o' scurrilous and questionable behavior regarding burisma and the ukraine by boardies AFTER the release o' Congressional investigation reports and conclusions which exonerated him. 

there is already plenty o' legislative capacity for investigations o' political figures. if one wants more transparency, then add more such to the current investigative options... though am actual not in favor o' such as you are effective hamstringing investigators.

but again, we got a bit further than 1/2 into the clip, so if he had an epiphany past the 3:00 minute mark, let us know.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

47 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Right. Articles of impeachment against Biden on his second freaking day? That kind of tit for tat nonsense We can do without

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

I have only the vaguest notion of what QAnon is but every one keeps calling it a cult. If that’s the case do we have a mass suicide to look forward to? Just asking.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

13 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I have only the vaguest notion of what QAnon is but every one keeps calling it a cult. If that’s the case do we have a mass suicide to look forward to? Just asking.

Probably more Waco than Jonestown, if anything

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Good to remember as people worry about a tax rate that won't affect 90% of us.

the problem being that possible the only thing ordinary americans agree 'pon is that taxing people at a rate higher than 50% is bad. not kidding. is an endemic education fail. have democrats and republicans talk 'bout taxes and an overwhelming % agree that tax more than 50% is bad. the hurls in this nation need do a better job o' explaining to kids how taxes actual current work, 'cause most people, in spite o' decades o' paying taxes, don't know what is the current situation much less what were the standard in previous decades.

example: earlier we shared a link to a luntz focus group. a story with luntz on this exact issue.

GOP pollster: Biden will struggle to unify U.S., middle ground post-Trump ‘doesn’t exist’

video is +5:00, but if you have little patience, ff to 2:50.

worse, am exhausted explaining how income tax rate changes and wealth taxes is auto fails when the root problem is capital gains and to a lesser degree the exceptions for hedge fund investors and the current estate tax scheme. capital gains max rate is 20%. 

as an aside, nothing exposes tourist libertarians for frauds like possible government corruption. same people who would go frothing mad at the suggestion government may, w/o probable cause, go digging through an ordinary citizen's emails and texts based on some pretext will too frequent champion a suggestion which would target dirty politicians for such treatment. use impeachment to avoid all those 4th amendment rights o' bad politicians is okie dokie?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Good to remember as people worry about a tax rate that won't affect 90% of us.

FB_IMG_1611356190189.jpg

I know one of the arguments that I heard and found persuasive is that wealth taxes incentivize the rich to get better at hiding income. Which isn't to say that I don't think it's a fight worth having. I just don't think it's the silver bullet solution that some people (Bernie, Warren, AOC) seem to think that it is.

The country of Greece is probably a good case study here.

Anyway, to piggy back off of the comment @Gromnir made, thank goodness I don't hear libertarians trying to pull that "flat tax" bull**** anymore

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I wouldn't classify it as a cult by the  normal definition  because a cult needs at the least a leader that is part of  the  cults views and purposes. Like the Branch Davidians in  WACO 

I dont think Trump has ever accepted any kind of leadership role in QANON which would make it an unusual cult? So what would you define QAnon as? That is a difficult question actually due to their overall vacuous  views and nebulous  leadership structures

I would say they a movement created on the basis of mostly misinformation and conspiracy theories. But how  do you classify a movement that has objectives and goals that cannot be realized as these objectives are based on fantasy?

So I just call QAnon a  "fringe movement  with confusing and illogical views whose members have willingly decided to embrace ignorance as a way of understanding events in the USA " 

Thats probably the best way to describe them?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I wouldn't classify it as a cult by the  normal definition  because a cult needs at the least a leader that is part of  the  cults views and purposes. Like the Branch Davidians in  WACO

Who says they don't? And he's probably laughing his ass off at the stupidity of his cultists 😛

SYFY - Star Trek TNG: Q's 5 most quintessential moments | Star Trek TNG: Q's  5 most quintessential moments

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

I will give QANON props for at least attempting to point out corruption in the U.S. government.  Honestly if they weren't right wing I wouldn't be so hard on them, but I'm glad they're being discredited because that gives populists leftists a chance to shine in the future.

Really? What examples of  corruption did QAnon uncover that were not  well known or already established as examples of corruption

I genuinely want to know so at least in the future when these debates come up I can use them as examples of " but Qanon did say this or do this that was true " 

59 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Who says they don't? And he's probably laughing his ass off at the stupidity of his cultists 😛

SYFY - Star Trek TNG: Q's 5 most quintessential moments | Star Trek TNG: Q's  5 most quintessential moments

Who are you referring to that is their recognized leader and has acknowledged it? Because Trump has never publicly said this so Im not sure who you mean?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela