Politics US Edition (2021!)

Amentep

13 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

glad you put the question mark. the point is you don't recognize the disconnect. you appear to balk at criticizing the democratic process, but you lament the inevitable and intended results. am recalling you rail against a nj prohibition against eating/drinking by a driver in moving vehicles as an attack on liberty and no business o' the government... the government of, by and for the people. 

you never seem to connect how the offenses o' government you most often cite is the result o' the freaking democratic process working as designed. 

sheesh.

HA! Good Fun!

I seem to recall I railed against that for being stupid. But you could be right it was a while ago. Like the book thing on the other thread. That is not a failure of the democratic process or any kind of political philosophical argument. It was just a stupid policy done for a stupid reason. 

I am not blind to the disconnect. A lot of the worst actions of the government are things people voted for. .And I would not change the democratic process if I could even when it leads to outcomes I don’t like. All anyone can do is try and persuade people to do something other. And of course obey the law or don’t. I am all for civil disobedience. And in the last extreme uncivil disobedience. Only the individual can judge what hills are worth dying for and which ones aren’t.

Edited by Guard Dog
Speech to text screwed me
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

14 minutes ago, rjshae said:

So... the Trump administration is now refusing to pay Giuliani's legal fees. Maybe now we find out what Giuliani has on Trump? Things could get even more interesting...

Rudy Giuliani says he has 'insurance' if Trump tries to throw him under the bus in the impeachment process

Didn't he already do that with his previous personal lawyer, Michael Cohen? Didn't that also have bad results? Clearly not bad enough since he's still the president, but you think you'd just pay the guy to prevent more crap from spilling out at this point.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

18 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I seem to recall I railed against that for being stupid. But you could be right it was a while ago. Like the book thing on the other thread. That is not a failure of the democratic process or any kind of political philosophical argument. It was just a stupid policy done for a stupid reason. 

I would not change the democratic process if I could even when it leads to outcomes I don’t like. All anyone can do is try and persuade people to do something other. And of course obey the law or don’t. I am all for civil disobedience. And in the last extreme uncivil disobedience. Only the individual can judge what hills are worth dying for and which ones aren’t.

stoopid 'cause gd says is stoopid.

oh, and whatever the flaw, the prohibition 'gainst eating and drinking by drivers is in fact reasonable and rational. is curious how we got prohibitions 'gainst distracted driving which includes texting, but somehow eating fries and a burger while driving is okie dokie. am getting that an entire industry o' drive-thru restaurants depends on individuals being able to eat and drink while operating their vehicle, but is inherent less safe. democratic elected officials decide the social costs o' injuries and accidents is too much? stoopid 'caus gd says so. 

btw, you complained 'bout such as an example o' how we ain't genuine living in a free country. posed as a liberty interest, not unwise.

the laws and spending which gd believes is stoopid and unacceptable exist most often 'cause democrat elected officials, representing their constituencies, decide how to spend gd's taxes and consider which o' his interests need be protected. the real problem is that they choose not the way gd wishes. is no big conspiracy or fundamental flaw in The Government. they, through predictable and messy democratic process, chose wrong. is not the freedom issue gd all too often indulges. 

am gonna get you to enlightenment eventual... would be satisfied with a bit more self fact checking, but we won't give up on this either.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Retired Firefighter Charged with Beating Three Capitol Police with Extinguisher During Capitol Insurrection

"Federal prosecutors have charged Robert Sanford, a 55-year-old from Pennsylvania, with four federal crimes, including allegations that he assaulted three Capitol Police officers by hitting them in the head with a fire extinguisher."

got nothing to add.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

oh, and whatever the flaw, the prohibition 'gainst eating and drinking by drivers is in fact reasonable and rational. is curious how we got prohibitions 'gainst distracted driving which includes texting, but somehow eating fries and a burger while driving is okie dokie. am getting that an entire industry o' drive-thru restaurants depends on individuals being able to eat and drink while operating their vehicle, but is inherent less safe. democratic elected officials decide the social costs o' injuries and accidents is too much? stoopid 'caus gd says so. 

btw, you complained 'bout such as an example o' how we ain't genuine living in a free country. posed as a liberty interest, not unwise.

the laws and spending which gd believes is stoopid and unacceptable exist most often 'cause democrat elected officials, representing their constituencies, decide how to spend gd's taxes and consider which o' his interests need be protected. the real problem is that they choose not the way gd wishes. is no big conspiracy or fundamental flaw in The Government. they, through predictable and messy democratic process, chose wrong. is not the freedom issue gd all too often indulges. 

am gonna get you to enlightenment eventual... would be satisfied with a bit more self fact checking, but we won't give up on this either.

HA! Good Fun!

Sounds like hyperbole coming from me. I do that sometimes. Keeps the conversation snappy and interesting. Never fails to provoke a response from you. 

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Sounds like hyperbole coming from me. I do that sometimes. Keeps the conversation snappy and interesting. Never fails to provoke a response from you. 

review. you defended  multiple times... and Gromnir didn't respond. our memory is just that elephantine.

HA! Good Fun!

'Hello, Nice FBI Lady': Capitol Hill Jamoke Emailed FBI Video of His Crimes, Court Documents Say

According to court documents, Lyons, who initially denied his involvement in the incident but confirmed he was in D.C. at the time, said he had a “dream” he was nearby when something similar to the far-right invasion of inside Congress occurred. 

But investigators clearly weren’t buying his story and showed Lyons a mountain of evidence suggesting he was involved, including Twitter and Instagram posts Lyons made while he was in D.C. Lyons, who underestimated the investigative powers of the FBI, was surprised at how quickly they had linked him to the events of last week and admitted his guilt. 

“Wow, you are pretty good,” he said when he was confronted with overwhelming evidence of his actions on Capitol Hill.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, HoonDing said:

PQCG1Ks.png

Thats a nice looking rifle, what type of rifle  is that ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, rjshae said:

So... the Trump administration is now refusing to pay Giuliani's legal fees. Maybe now we find out what Giuliani has on Trump? Things could get even more interesting...

Rudy Giuliani says he has 'insurance' if Trump tries to throw him under the bus in the impeachment process

Out of all the Republicans who became obsequious, toady's of Trump and decided when their previous value system would be  selectively demonstrated Giuliani has been the greatest disappointment

This was the guy who people rallied behind during 9/11 in NY and now his legacy will be overshadowed by comments like " there needs to be  trial by combat "  hyperbole

Huge disappointment but he   bought this on himself 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Thats a nice looking rifle, what type of rifle  is that ?

Hard to tell from that picture. It’s certainly a knock off of the AR 15. Definitely not a Colt from the looks of it.  Springfield Arms maybe? The hand grips look after market. Like I said can’t tell from the picture. Based on the magazine size it’s probably chambered for .223 but again just and educated guess. It could be 5.56mm or it could be .22 but I doubt it. 

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

Tampa Bay singer used voice for screaming during Capitol riot

Audrey Ann Southard spent years helping kids find their creative voices and strengthening her own.

The Spring Hill vocal coach and piano teacher sang like an angel when she posted videos of herself crooning Norah Jones’ Don’t Know Why or belting out Memory from Cats, and when she went to Sicily in 2012 for an international music competition, she won.

That led to a showcase on a stage inside New York’s Carnegie Hall.

More recently, Southard used her powerful soprano to scream at police officers that they should “tell f--king Pelosi we’re coming for her! F--king traitorous c--ts, we’re coming! We’re coming for all of you!” She was part of the mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

am now gonna read everything by christopher spata. that is an epic freaking lede. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Hard to tell from that picture. It’s certainly a knock off of the AR 15. Definitely not a Colt from the looks of it.  Springfield Arms maybe? The hand grips look after market. Like I said can’t tell from the picture. Based on the magazine size it’s probably chambered for .223 but again just and educated guess. It could be 5.56mm or it could be .22 but I doubt it. 

When I did my military conscription in 1993,  we were all trained on an R4 rifle that looks like this. The R4 has similar design to the AK but is also different. So I was interested in this particular weapon because it looks similar yet different to an AK,....and I am not an  expert in rifles. I just know what I have personally worked with in 1993 but that was a long time ago and weapons have evolved. I think this has been customized like you have suggested 

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/R4_assault_rifle#:~:text=The R4 is a 5.56mm assault rifle that,licence agreement from Fabrique Nationale as the R1.

John Milton 

32 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

This concerns me but I suppose anyone is allowed to contribute towards a fund that is created  " to help BLM people unfairly arrested " ....the problem with this fund is when its used to help people who are criminals or committed criminal acts like the Antifa violence because then the reason you may have contributed towards the fund is not the reason you thought

I doubt the new VP was aware the fund would be misused like this if the article is correct ?

John Milton 

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

From the article

Still, Christenson said he did not agree with labeling the Capitol mob “traitors” or “terrorists.”

“They’re Americans, willing to take a bullet for what they believe.”

Days before traveling to Washington, Christenson posted a link to his website, where he’d published a 17,000-word “Peoples Declaration.” In it, he described a plan for “the People,” with the help of the U.S. military, to install Donald Trump in office until 2024. He also advocated for removing all Democratic politicians and officials.

They're not traitors or terrorists, they just want to, with the help of the US Military, install Donald Trump in office and forcibly remove all Democratic politicians.

Riiiiiight.

3 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Do I believe a non-profit organization that takes donations to translate into bail for low income, homeless, and people of color would, by the nature of the judicial system, provide bail for people who would turn out to commit further crimes? Sure; I believe that would be true of any organization that provides bail.  Do I believe that same non-profit would tell someone trying to get data about the individuals it'd helped (which, as far as I know, they are not legally required to do, because it could arguably not be in the best interest of those they help) that they could not provide that information?  Why yes. Yes I do.

Do I further believe that if that individual who was refused the information from the charity posted news articles under the nom de guerre "Tyler Durden", that they would then post about it in an innuendo laden article to try and imply several unsavory things about the charity and the people it helps? You bet your sweet bippy, I do.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

14 hours ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

Everything that is stupid only is because someone thinks it is. There’s always someone else who thought it was a good idea.

someone once thought this was a good idea: 

image.jpeg.c543ec26c06868088ad6bb4bbf04544a.jpeg

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Just now, ComradeMaster said:

There is an horrendous cost for the USA around these plans and that should raise some concerns and  be considered  ...I dont mean to rain on the parade

Im just saying 

John Milton 

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

There is an horrendous cost for the USA around these plans and that should raise some concerns and  be considered  ...I dont mean to rain on the parade

Im just saying 

A banker trying to educate someone on modern economics...

But in any case, that's why state industries need to be a priority sometime in the near future, to release products that generate national revenue.

little it of a tax hike couldn't hurt either.  

We will survive progressive economics, with a re-arrangements and new projects.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

A banker trying to educate someone on modern economics...

But in any case, that's why state industries need to be a priority sometime in the near future, to release products that generate national revenue.

little it of a tax hike couldn't hurt either.  

We will survive progressive economics, with a re-arrangements and new projects.

But I thought you said the Democrats were the same as the Republicans and  they were both useless and couldn't be trusted?

Do you like the Democrats now? 

John Milton 

Minimum wage is garbage right now. When was the last time it went up? I'm pretty sure the economy has changed since then. And don't start mewling about small business owners. Big business has been killing small businesses all pandemic long, so maybe figure out a way to balance that AND improve the plight of the minimum wage worker. 

4 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

What! Only another 2T!?!?!? He better come bigger than that weaksauce. 

Looks like your aspirations and dreams for government  could be coming true....free education and free housing and free this and free that and no one has to pay but ...government :p

And the best part about it is you didnt even have to vote to achieve this !!!

John Milton