Am I doing something wrong?

Really don't understand whats wrong between me and this game... Despite liking first game and liking pirate stylistic for some reason game just doesn't click to me. I can't even get what's wrong with it. I met up with Woedica after queens meeting and I kinda feel lost and uninterested in anything, despite really liking characters and overall graphics. Yeah, I had somewhat similar with PoE(I think I had 10 or 20 restarts before I finished game for first time, jumping around with classes and stats though I consider its normal for class based games)  but not dew to uninterest. What I find worst for me is that I can't point to exact problem that makes me feel so.

Hm - maybe because you got used to PoE and Deadfire is quite different? It's not as gloomy for example. 

It also took some time for me to like it like I did with PoE but after some tinkering it clicked.

I think most important is to find a character that is good fun to play right from the start.  

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe you can give it a rest, come back after some time, a couple of weeks maybe, and try again. It might work. Or it might not.

I have also experienced this, although not with Deadfire. Everything is basically ok, but it just doesn't work. It is strange, you're right, but it does happen.

Maybe you have Open World Syndrome. :)

PoE was more "guided" than Deadfire is, also because content was gated behind its acts. I personally don't like "Open World" and this whole "you can go where you want, yeah!" approach very much. It often leaves you felling lost - or not feeling compelled to really do anything.

You can experience the same when you play TTRPGs and the game master just lets you run around without nudging you into the right direction.

Open World is completely overrated and isn't necessary for a great CRPG - at least that's my personal take. Maybe other players like it but I feel that it takes significantly longer to really connect with a game if it follows the Open World approach.

What saved Deadfire for me was Fort Deadlight. I entered secretly and did a "Thief"-like dungeon crawl in order to reach Benweth. It's such a satisfying part of the early game that I got hooked.

So maybe try that one first?  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Open World is completely overrated and isn't necessary for a great CRPG - at least that's my personal take. Maybe other players like it but I feel that it takes significantly longer to really connect with a game if it follows the Open World approach.

Did you ever play Ultima IV? That was the one game where the Open World approach really, really worked. But then, it was a special case in other ways, too: it took a while for you to figure out what the "problem" or your objective even was, and the main quest was more philosophical than anything else (although pretty basic in terms of philosophy or self-improvement, of course).

I agree that Open World certainly isn't necessary and can lead to aimlessness. But boy did it work in that one game.

I wasn't fond of most of the Ultima games except Underworld (and only because I played it with a friend side by side) so no: I didn't even try Ultima IV. 

The only Open World game I really enjoyed was Skyrim - but only because I turned it into "Thief"- or "Hitman"-ripoff. :)

Eh and Deadfire obviously. :)

Edited by Boeroer

just try a few side quest of neketaka

if that is not enough than maybe nothing will be

easy to get tired of rpg that require hundred hours to get some idea of what is going on

couldn't get into a lot of good game because of the heavy investment

One hurdle could be that the main story line is a little foggy at times. Had a few low moments during my first playthrough too because I didnt really know whats going on and that made the interactions with the gods kinda boring...

13 hours ago, Tillbot87 said:

One hurdle could be that the main story line is a little foggy at times. Had a few low moments during my first playthrough too because I didnt really know whats going on and that made the interactions with the gods kinda boring...

This is true. The lore side of the game has a bit of a problem, in my view, because on the one hand, there's quite a lot of it to read, and on the other hand, it's not always all that clear.

• 2 weeks later...

It does seem like that, yes. Some time ago he said that "you guys are not giving me much of a chance", or something along those lines, referring to us other users on these forums. But that's just not true. Everybody everywhere and the whole universe is constantly giving him the chance of not being deliberately unpleasant to other people. He just chooses not to take it.