The What Are You Reading thread (now with a simpler name)

Amentep

This was easily my favorite book as a kid:

Kurt-Dieter-redaktionelle-Bearbeitung-So

600 pages full of diagrams and explanations of virtually everything, or - as the cover states: From ballpoint pens to nuclear fission. :yes:

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

41 minutes ago, majestic said:

This was easily my favorite book as a kid:

Kurt-Dieter-redaktionelle-Bearbeitung-So

600 pages full of diagrams and explanations of virtually everything, or - as the cover states: From ballpoint pens to nuclear fission. :yes:

That is very cool!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I remember reading a lot of the Golden Books (like The Little Red Hen) as a really young tyke.  Dinosaur books and Richard Scarry and Dr. Seuss followed.

When I got a little older I read The Three Investigators (aka Alfred Hitch**** and the Three Investigators) and somewhere in there was Dahlov Ipcar's The Warlock of Night and a bunch of other books I barely remember at this point.  I remember reading The Hobbit when I was ten or so because both my older brothers had.  Somewhere around 12 or 13 I tried to read Dune and The Lord of the Rings and had begun reading Doc Savage, the Avenger, the Shadow, H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard/L Sprague De Camp's Conan and Piers Anthony's Xanth books.  Maybe that was when I tried to read my brother's Thomas Covenant books too.  And picked up Robert Vardeman's Centopah Road which I followed for awhile.  Oh and two of the Shannara Books were somewhere in my early teens.

But I read a lot of comic books.  60s Doom Patrols, Challengers of the Unknown, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc, 60s and 70s horror titles like House of Mystery, Eerie, House of Secrets, Red Circle Sorcery, or Creepy; Weird Western Tales (Jonah Hex and Scalphunter), GI Combat (Haunted Tank), Weird War Tales (Creature Commandoes), Out Army at War (Unknown Soldier), Archie, Harvey, etc.  My uncles donated their comics to us and so there wasn't a time that I remember that there weren't comics to read or re-read growing up.

EDIT: OOOOH how could I forget Terran Trade Authority #3 Spacewreck: Ghostships and Derelicts of Space!!!! I checked that out of the library dozens of times!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I remember in 7th grade, my parents had the bright idea to send me to a private Christian school, since I wasn't doing well in public. It was not a good fit, and I got sent to he library as a punishment regularly. This was a pretty terrible library for a 7th grader, since it was all preachy stuff. The one decent author I found was Stephen R. Lawhead. He had a scifi series about living on Mars and I enjoyed it. Then I read some fantasy books he wrote. I'd say that led me to a lot of the older fantasy and scifi stuff I eventually read. I don't really remember it being heavy on the Christian themes, at least not any more than CS Lewis. So that helped. :p 

image.jpeg.8bc1d48454dde7233a829afae5448eab.jpeg

Currently reading 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finished the last one tonight. Started this one:

41FVvYxZpSL.jpg

It's making me thirsty for a Black and Tan. 

Thomas Sowell

Rainy today. Sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee reading a battered old T.S. Eliot book. Currently reading The Waste Land

Thomas Sowell

Not a heavy read, but I did just get a copy of "The Art of Mass Effect Expanded Edition" to enjoy the concept art and development.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Not a heavy read, but I did just get a copy of "The Art of Mass Effect Expanded Edition" to enjoy the concept art and development.

How many pages on Miranda's ass ?

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Malcador said:

All of them.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

5 hours ago, KaineParker said:

All of them.

It's an expanded re-release edition, so surely they edited the ass shots out?

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This is very cool. If you like offbeat history facts this guy‘s channel is worth following.

Thomas Sowell

On 3/5/2021 at 6:58 PM, Hurlshot said:

I remember in 7th grade, my parents had the bright idea to send me to a private Christian school, since I wasn't doing well in public. It was not a good fit, and I got sent to he library as a punishment regularly. 

Yup sounds like me in Sunday School, my mom thought she could raise my brother and I to be the perfect White Christian gentlemen but all we did was pull pranks and mock everyone.

To this day it just strikes me as dumb, resources and intelligence could be better spent elsewhere.

Anywho, if you haven't read 'The Fourth Turning' yet by William Strauss and Neil Howe....you're out of touch with everything!

The Fourth Turning - What the Cycles of History Tell Us - Genus Capital

This is literally the most important book of the age, everything you've heard about generations like Boomers and Millennials derives from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading:

512Pm9GRTPL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

&

51ylqR8-DFL.jpg

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Up late last night reading this one. It was a fun read:

511NS1oB25L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading something light and funny:

51H6LPqiRqL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished First Man in Rome, take back the negatives I'd said about it earlier, the book does get a lot more enjoyable towards the end.  Still hate all the parts with Sulla.  So will continue with the series, mission give is a mission accomplished and all.  Starting

51NwKSoBfvL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Book has Achievements, funnily.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Finally finished First Man in Rome, take back the negatives I'd said about it earlier, the book does get a lot more enjoyable towards the end.  Still hate all the parts with Sulla.  So will continue with the series, mission give is a mission accomplished and all.  Starting

Read the first book of the series when I was in high school, need to give that series another shot.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

51d7PZRoElL.jpg

I thought I knew quite a bit about the 1960 campaign. I was wrong. 

Thomas Sowell