randoM vidEo gAme News

Amentep

This is the first patch I ever got.

pDLNMAB.jpg

But most of us didn't know what a patch was. And depending on our country we may not have had access to them even if we knew about them.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

This is the first patch I ever got.

pDLNMAB.jpg

But most of us didn't know what a patch was. And depending on our country we may not have had access to them even if we knew about them.

Wow, I am amazed you somehow been able to keep  stiffy disks all these years later :thumbsup:

Did the patch work?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Sarex said:

So the marketing has already started for the next Obsidian Fallout game.

edit: Hope things work out for them and they get a crack at the Dishonored setting.

Eh, if anything they are working on the Outer Worlds2. Thought with Bethesda busy with new Elder Scrolls and Starfield... who knows? If Obsidian Fallout game were to happen it would be a future project though. The buyout was just approved and such decisions ain't made overnight. I am still curious what is the unannounced project Jorge Salgado is working on. The Outer Worlds 2 would be my guess, though would area designer be already working on it?

47 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Wow, I am amazed you somehow been able to keep have  stiffy disks all these years later :thumbsup:

Did the patch work?

Turns out I needed a new PC :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Wow, I am amazed you somehow been able to keep have  stiffy disks all these years later :thumbsup:

Did the patch work?

First time I have ever heard them called stiffy disks.  :lol:  First patch I ever got was on one, was for Command & Conquer, ah good times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

18 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Turns out I needed a new PC :)

Damn, I hate it when a bug reveals itself to mean you need  a new rig ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

First time I have ever heard them called stiffy disks.  :lol:  First patch I ever got was on one, was for Command & Conquer, ah good times.

Yeah, they were called that because floppy disks were....floppy I suppose :teehee:

Malc you young people have it easy nowadays with all your 10 minute digital downloads from Steam and GOG . I remember taking literally about an hour to install games like Kings Quest 1 and the other early Sierra games and you had to insert floppy  disk after disk after disk .....and then sometimes disk 7 is faulty !!!

This was during the 1980's and with  Apartheid sanctions we battled to buy PC games so we use to copy games from each other  and that required using about 10-14 floppy disks and later on we become advanced and used stiffy disks which reduced the overall number 

I remember when I finally installed the Colonels Bequest ...what a classic game for the time period , it was amazing because it  "  employed 4-bit color (16 colors) and a typing interface "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colonel's_Bequest

Gaming has advanced so much, we are so fortunate. I cannot wait for what the future holds for PC gaming 🖥️

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

38 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

we use to copy games from each other  and that required using about 10-14 floppy disks and later on we become advanced and used stiffy disks which reduced the overall number

It did give us Steven Heck though "Do you copy?" "Like a floppy!"

Imagine that sentence having floppy replaced with Cloud Drive, Remote Server, Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Megasharefileboxdirectonlinedownloadfreestoragehavingprovenyouarehumanwhatever

51 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Malc you young people have it easy nowadays with all your 10 minute digital downloads from Steam and GOG .

Well, I'm young compared to some of the fossils here, but not so young that I don't recall the world of offline gaming 😛 

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

36 minutes ago, melkathi said:

In Greece we just called them by size. So that was a three-and-a-halfer disk.

Interestingly enough it does appear only in SA they were called Stiffy disks, I assumed that is what everyone use to call them that 

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_stiffy_disc

• Like 1

John Milton 

And the patch is just a config file, heh. I assume that's the one that fixed the issue of various key commands being bound by default to the numpad, making the game literally unplayable on any system without one (like most laptops) since you'd need the numpad to access the menu in order to remap the keys off the numpad.

It really was a crappy PC port, and it coloured my opinion of the game, and indeed series, for years to come. To this day I've only seriously played 7 and 14.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

7 hours ago, melkathi said:

In Greece we just called them by size. So that was a three-and-a-halfer disk.

Isn't Greece on the metric system ?

I think the Greeks used the cubit in those days. One cubit is the length of a forearm. So a 3.5 cubit floppy disk would have a diameter of a little over 1.6m.

That converts, surprisingly, to 5.25 feet. Can't be a coincidence, surely.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

45 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Isn't Greece on the metric system ?

Yes, but for some reason disks were labeled in inches. Probably because IBM had one level to use everywhere.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

D&D: Dark Alliance is here:

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/16/22332313/dark-alliance-hands-on-preview-xbox-one-playstation-5-pc-release-date-price

https://www.ign.com/articles/dnd-dark-alliance-demo-preview-impressions-dungeons-dragons

These articles have videos embedded showing 6 min of gameplay, a trailer, and a discussion of the game's development.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Interestingly enough it does appear only in SA they were called Stiffy disks, I assumed that is what everyone use to call them that 

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_stiffy_disc

I hope you all have the appropriate national shame.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I hope you all have the appropriate national shame.

We still refer to them as that even though they basically redundant in commercial or business usage. I dont think I have seen one practically used in SA in 6-8 years?

And we  always use to refer to them as Stiffy Disks, not Stiffy because that does lead to jokes around  sexual innuendo o:)

John Milton 

Conan Exiles dropped their latest update, which adds factions and NPC camps to the Isle of Siptah. That's a pretty big update, and for me it finally makes the expansion lands really worth digging into. So I'll probably set aside Valheim, which needs more time to develop, and get to work building my fortress in Conan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

D&D: Dark Alliance is here:

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/16/22332313/dark-alliance-hands-on-preview-xbox-one-playstation-5-pc-release-date-price

https://www.ign.com/articles/dnd-dark-alliance-demo-preview-impressions-dungeons-dragons

These articles have videos embedded showing 6 min of gameplay, a trailer, and a discussion of the game's development.

I have mentioned this before but the Forgotten Realms  (FR )is my favorite fantasy world of all time followed by the Elder Scrolls world 

Its because I use to be a DM  for the pen and paper game and we played mostly in that world. I did love the Greyhawk AD&D world but it wasnt as established and not supported like the Forgotten Realms

So I basically always buy games set in the Forgotten Realms so you can imagine my excitement about BG3 :wowey:

• Like 1

John Milton