randoM vidEo gAme News

Amentep

13 hours ago, 213374U said:

Oof. Would not want to be working IT ops at CDPR right now.

Dont believe anything negative about CDPR 2133, its all fake news and console people who hate the success of the company and dont want to understand that sometimes mistakes happen with the releases of new games 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A bit more on the above...

Cyberpunk 2077 makers CD Projekt hit by ransomware hack

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55994787

"The perpetrators claim to have stolen source code for several of the firm's games which they said they would leak unless a payment was made. But the Polish games company said it would not negotiate.

In a statement on Twitter, CD Projekt Red posted a copy of the ransom note which said the hackers had copied code from Cyberpunk 2077, Gwent, and Witcher 3, including an unreleased version of the latter. “We have also dumped all of your documents relating to accounting, administration legal, HR, investor relations and more!” the note added. "Dumping" means copying the information to an external source. “If we will not come to an agreement, then your source codes will be sold or leaked online and your documents will be sent to our contacts in gaming journalism,” read the note, giving a deadline of 48 hours."

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

45 minutes ago, Gorth said:

A bit more on the above...

Cyberpunk 2077 makers CD Projekt hit by ransomware hack

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55994787

"The perpetrators claim to have stolen source code for several of the firm's games which they said they would leak unless a payment was made. But the Polish games company said it would not negotiate.

In a statement on Twitter, CD Projekt Red posted a copy of the ransom note which said the hackers had copied code from Cyberpunk 2077, Gwent, and Witcher 3, including an unreleased version of the latter. “We have also dumped all of your documents relating to accounting, administration legal, HR, investor relations and more!” the note added. "Dumping" means copying the information to an external source. “If we will not come to an agreement, then your source codes will be sold or leaked online and your documents will be sent to our contacts in gaming journalism,” read the note, giving a deadline of 48 hours."

Companies nowadays are strongly advised to not negotiate with cyber-criminals who use the likes of Ransomware to try to blackmail these companies and demand money because their are examples of these cyber-criminals still not releasing the encryption keys even when paid

In SA I worked at a major insurance company that was a victim of Ransomware and they simply refused to pay and had to restore the data and accept some reputational damage 

So you dont negotiate as its no guarantee you will have your data accessible again  

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 2/10/2021 at 9:31 PM, BruceVC said:

So you dont negotiate as its no guarantee you will have your data accessible again  

I know. I remember one of those old Danish shipping companies, Maersk (https://www.maersk.com/), getting hit by ransomware attack a few years ago. The old guy is tough as nails and told the hackers **** you. We'll rebuild our systems. Even if the cost of doing so was $200 million. Mind you, the old guy running the family business can afford it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2017/08/16/notpetya-ransomware-attack-cost-shipping-giant-maersk-over-200-million/?sh=1277cda54f9a

• Thanks 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Dont believe anything negative about CDPR 2133, its all fake news and console people who hate the success of the company and dont want to understand that sometimes mistakes happen with the releases of new games 

That's an interesting way to look at it. 

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Psh, they probably hacked themselves in an attempt to buy more time to come out with patches. :p

Well, in that case, there is no hack. Just them putting some note out. I did like a CDPR designer whining that people were laughing at CDPR over this. 

Company men are odd things to see.

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

no love for my dark angels :(

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Blaming CDPR's screwups on "console people" 🤣

No Man's Sky, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk 2077:  Hall of Shame.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Well, in that case, there is no hack. Just them putting some note out. I did like a CDPR designer whining that people were laughing at CDPR over this. 

They need to leak at least something in the next 48h otherwise it becomes suspicious. Like way back when Valve had their uncompilable Source engine source code "stolen" and "leaked" on the internet and was immediately free of all the flak they'd have otherwise gotten for delaying Half Life 2 even more than they already have.

That reminds me of the time I faked a hack at school when I learned that they kept no backups (because some poor SoB really had all his precious files trashed by someone malicious douchewaffle and they told him they can't restore his files). I snuck into the computer room, logged in, deleted everything, logged out and pretended to have come into class to an empty user directory and could therefore not turn in the homework I never wrote in the first place. A quick log check confirmed a strange login at a point before I came to school, so yeah, sucks to be me, huh? Even took the train an hour earlier to get there on time. :yes:

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

You are indeed a sociopath, majestic 😛

Heh, we once had a computer programming contest at school but we were on a network with a shared drive to store our solutions in a directory.  Which was not password protected.  As you can imagine everyone cheated or began a campaign of wanton destruction.  Rookie action to delete the files, the true craft was modifying people's solutions so they failed and looked like incompetence rather than sabotage.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Blaming CDPR's screwups on "console people" 🤣

No Man's Sky, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk 2077:  Hall of Shame.

Comrade please dont misunderstand me, I am not blaming the console crowd on the shortfalls and performance issues experienced with the initial release of the game

That would be silly and unreasonable because the console crowd didnt create the game, CDPR are the developers

I am holding the console crowd responsible for the overreaction to certain issues that will be fixed. The share price was effected by this overreaction which is never a good thing for a listed company. Thankfully  this will recover but as you know CDPR is getting sued by lawyers representing primarily the console crowd

So that is why I  am blaming them, its the unnecessary and egregious overreaction 8)

John Milton 

26 minutes ago, majestic said:

They need to leak at least something in the next 48h otherwise it becomes suspicious. Like way back when Valve had their uncompilable Source engine source code "stolen" and "leaked" on the internet and was immediately free of all the flak they'd have otherwise gotten for delaying Half Life 2 even more than they already have.

That reminds me of the time I faked a hack at school when I learned that they kept no backups (because some poor SoB really had all his precious files trashed by someone malicious douchewaffle and they told him they can't restore his files). I snuck into the computer room, logged in, deleted everything, logged out and pretended to have come into class to an empty user directory and could therefore not turn in the homework I never wrote in the first place. A quick log check confirmed a strange login at a point before I came to school, so yeah, sucks to be me, huh? Even took the train an hour earlier to get there on time. :yes:

You are truly incorrigible....I can help you but first  I need to know if you feel any compunction. Then I need to know how sorry you feel and are you prepared to embark on the road of absolution?

:teehee:

John Milton 

Apparently Gwent code is up for auction -https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/cdpr-breach-leaked-data

$1MM as a start bid, hah.

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

You are truly incorrigible....I can help you but first  I need to know if you feel any compunction. Then I need to know how sorry you feel and are you prepared to embark on the road of absolution?

:teehee:

Your roundabout logic is astounding. If I'm incorrigible, how are you going to help me? I mean even if I felt even a tiny bit of remorse for something I did 25 years ago that hurt nobody at all, which spoiler: I don't, and it's by far not the worst thing I or my friends did at school.

starship-troopers-1.jpg

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

You are indeed a sociopath, majestic 😛

Heh, we once had a computer programming contest at school but we were on a network with a shared drive to store our solutions in a directory.  Which was not password protected.  As you can imagine everyone cheated or began a campaign of wanton destruction.  Rookie action to delete the files, the true craft was modifying people's solutions so they failed and looked like incompetence rather than sabotage.

Now that I think back, I'm more convinced than ever that you're actually right. Or at least, maybe we even were a group of sociopaths.

Shared drives or folders are a joy, especially when they're buggy. Also back in school, since it was '96 and disk space was still at a relative premium, we had very small quotas for our users (first grade got an awesome 2MB, second graders 8MB, only in third grade you got a quota of like 100MB). The school used Novell DOS 7 with a NetWare backend at the time and had some computers with Windows NT 4.0 for students in higher grades. That combination also had some really weird bugs like when you set your password with Novell DOS 7 and exceeded a certain amount of characters it would work perfectly fine when logging on Novell DOS, but no longer with Windows NT 4.0. You had to log on with a Novell DOS client and change your password to something shorter. 

That was a bug the entire class once used to make sure we don't have an exam because the hapless professor had no idea what was going on and had to wait unil support showed up. 😆

Anyway, each student group had a shared drive on the backend. When you copied a file there it would be subtracted from your quota, and the system subtracted the file size from the user who last saved the file, i.e. when you put a text file on the shared drive and someone edited and saved, it would read as that user's file and cost him space from his quota. Which was fine, I mean, at least you couldn't abuse someone's shared files to mess with their quota.

Or could you? Turns out that telling the operating system to open a file in append mode instead of write mode caused the operating system to leave the file owner alone, but freely allowed you to add content. Not only could you use that to make users have embarassing or questionable content on the share (as long as they had at least one file there, and we all did, if only to play multiplayer Quake during school time), but you could of course make them use up their entire disk quota, down to the last byte. Which caused all sorts of fun issues (especially when they were using NT to log on at the time, Windows never dealt all too well with a sudden drop in free disk space on the user's home directory).

We used that to regularily blow up someone's files to the point where NT stopped opening any programs, crashed randomly, the user had issues logging in, caused professors who had no idea what they were doing to try and help, only to quietly delete the file at some point where everything went back to working fine, and of course you could always use that to handily cause jocks and bullies to fail their exams. Ah, such a pity.

We had networked computers with a 10Base-T coaxial bus setup, so whenever we felt like the admin was an annoying asshat - which was pretty much always when he found out we hacked (well more like stole, by making a fake Novell DOS login screen that would run from your own user, would perfectly mimic three failed login attempts, write down the user name and password entered and then cause a crash that forced a reboot) a professor's password (because they had, for no reason, up to 10 GB of disk space and like NEVER used it, and it was impossible to install Command & Conquer in sub 8MB file chunks) we'd go around and stick pins through the network cables and cut the top and bottom part off with a wirecutter, which caused all sorts of funny network spasms. We started by removing termination resistors but that was way too easy to figure out.

Funny for us. Less so for the guy running around trying to figure out which cable was broken, while it was somewhat easy to calculate in which general vicinity the signal broke, it wasn't that easy to figure out which cable part was the actual problem. Especially when you can't see any obvious damage.

And then there was the time where we found out that you could actually write small programs that you could hook to an operating system interrupt that kept on running even after you logged out. Novell DOS apparently didn't take care to not allow useres to modify system memory at will. Needless to say, from that point on we ALWAYS made sure to hard reset any computer we were logging on to.

Looking back, I guess I can see why our teachers despised us - that were just the stunts we pulled on the network, not counting practical jokes like the one where we hid an entire classroom's furniture in its ceiling* or hid an entire week's worth of account group work in an envelope and wrote MAIL BOMB** on it and attached it underneath a table.

*Not a ceiling in the traditional sense. The school was a repurposed factory building with an added office complex, and therefore the ceilings were just really light, removable ceiling elements that covered steel braces, they EASILY supported to load of a couple of desks and chairs. So we just removed the ceiling elements, heaved the desks and chairs onto the steel bracing and put the elements back in place. :p

**That was in VERY bad taste. +1 points for sociopaths, ey?

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I used to forkbomb people in the labs in Uni, got caught after 4 years of doing it - blamed it on classmate using my PC but not sure the admin bought it.  Was tempted to ask him why he didn't limit processes per account like the SPARC labs did but figured not good to piss him off further. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, majestic said:

Your roundabout logic is astounding. If I'm incorrigible, how are you going to help me?

Eh, if CDPR actually fixes Cyberpunk then it will be fixed. For now it's on my list of games to keep and eye on but not to buy. Never was really - have been around for long enough to smell bullcrap - with that exception that Witcher3 smelled the same but turned out rather well (even if I remember wild promises being made pre-release as well).

Whenever Cyberpunk if fixable remains to be seen - from what I am hearing it's issues run deeper then just optimisation. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Eh, if CDPR actually fixes Cyberpunk then it will be fixed. For now it's on my list of games to keep and eye on but not to buy. Never was really - have been around for long enough to smell bullcrap - with that exception that Witcher3 smelled the same but turned out rather well (even if I remember wild promises being made pre-release as well).

Whenever Cyberpunk if fixable remains to be seen - from what I am hearing it's issues run deeper then just optimisation. 

Guys I have mentioned this before but you know the main reason I am generally not disappointed in games I buy and play?

Its because I have this 3-6 month  wait rule  before  I play any game upon release, I may buy the game but I never play it straight away.  I know this may be difficult to do because of how all of us get excited and obviously want to  play certain games straight away but my rule means I genuinely aren't disappointed as I can wait for patches and hotfixes to be releases 

I haven't bought Cyberpunk yet but I definitely will as I believe in CDPR and even if they cant " fix " it I will still buy the game as a small way to support the company that gave me one of my greatest RPG gaming experiences of all time with the Witcher series 

I love you CDPR :wub::wub:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

19 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I haven't bought Cyberpunk yet but I definitely will as I believe in CDPR and even if they cant " fix " it I will still buy the game as a small way to support the company that gave me one of my greatest RPG gaming experiences of all time with the Witcher series 

I love you CDPR :wub::wub:

That devotion is what I don't emphesize with. Even though I liked/adored the Witchers. 
I make a point of not buying or supporting a game based on what it can become one day. There haven't been any concrete commitments from CDPR on what they plan to do with Cyb, and even if there were I don't trust roadmaps. What concerns me with Cyberpunk is not only technical issues, but the game itself apparently just being ok. To be honest "it's fine action game, with lifeless open world, and bad RPG systems" applies to Witcher3 as well, but W3 had a great character and superb narrative to make up for it. I hear Cyberpunk ain't bad, but it didn't seem to grab people the way W3 did. Personally, I am just disinterested in Cyberpunk. I have been from the beginning. I haven't seen or heard anything that would make me want to play it - except a desire to test how my 3070 would run it. Though already Nier showed me that poor optimization can make any game run like crap. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

That devotion is what I don't emphesize with. Even though I liked/adored the Witchers. 
I make a point of not buying or supporting a game based on what it can become one day. There haven't been any concrete commitments from CDPR on what they plan to do with Cyb, and even if there were I don't trust roadmaps. What concerns me with Cyberpunk is not only technical issues, but the game itself apparently just being ok. To be honest "it's fine action game, with lifeless open world, and bad RPG systems" applies to Witcher3 as well, but W3 had a great character and superb narrative to make up for it. I hear Cyberpunk ain't bad, but it didn't seem to grab people the way W3 did. Personally, I am just disinterested in Cyberpunk. I have been from the beginning. I haven't seen or heard anything that would make me want to play it - except a desire to test how my 3070 would run it. Though already Nier showed me that poor optimization can make any game run like crap. 

You make a reasonable and convincing argument and I agree with much of your post  

The truth is like you I havent played Cyb yet and I can only comment once I have played it myself ...give me 3-4 months ?

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

Probably BHD tier of propaganda

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1