I just finsihed PoE for the first time ever as a rogue and wanted to play the same character in Deadfire. Backstab never seems to take effect. My rogue sneaks up on the Boars on the first island and makes an attack from stealth before combat has started (which then starts combat) but I never see backstab listed in the combat log when I view the details of my attack. I'm using dual weapons. Shouldn't backstab apply to this first attack from stealth?

After reloading about 6 times I managed to get backstab to work once... combat log says "with backstab for additional effects...". This doesn't seem to be very reliable, the description says it works if you are within 2 metres and my attacks always hit at point blank range. Do they need to crit? I tried dual wielding, I tried a single weapon - same result.

How do you reliably land BS? What is the point in it if it only works one it 5 attempts at sneak attacking at the start of combat?

Does it need to be an attack on the back of a target?

Edited by ArnoldRimmer

Backstab works like advertised and is not unreliable. As long as you are stealthed or invisible while the attack is executed you gain the Backstab bonus. It may be that you unstealthed right before the attack went off - because your stealth wasn't high enough for example or because you accidentiall bumped into the enemy which will lift stealth at once.

Are you using the Community Patch maybe? With the Community Patch the Backstab dmg is a separate log entry under the original attack.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, community patch. Maybe I'm getting to close - I wasn't sure when I was within 2 metres so I just clicked to move right next to the Boars and then started the attack. Maybe this is causing the BS to fail. I shall try initiating the attack when there is still some distance between myself and the target.

Edited by ArnoldRimmer

indeed. Don't get too close. 2m is more than you might think. 

I remember there was an issue with arquebus + Backstab some time ago. So if you are using an arquebus that might also be a problem. But I think that one got fixed. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

can't speak for the community patch, but backstab should absolutely be working - my current run i used eder as a backstabber for maje island with out any issue - the main difficulty was just staying stealthed long enough to land a hit.