58 minutes ago, thelee said:

Fortunately, the success of Disco Elysium tells me that Josh Sawyer's big concern has not materialized: that OBS had contributed to escalating the indie RPG cost by making it minimum stakes to have full VO for RPGs. I don't think many people complained that Disco Elysium was missing full VO.

Agreed. Good point. Its success also indicates that there's still a market for a story-heavy game with a lot of subtlety in dialogue and choices. This makes me happy. There market may not be D:OS2-sized, but it's there, and it's not small, either.

15 hours ago, thelee said:

OBS had contributed to escalating the indie RPG cost by making it minimum stakes to have full VO for RPGs

I think soon this problem will be fixed by development of voice engines. Already even foss one show great progress in both quality of line reading and range of possible voices. I think in 10 years max many indie devs would be able to make full VO for there game just by running text though such engines and recording it. Hell I even seen it done nowdays with engines themselves in mods for morrowind. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, thelee said:

Fortunately, the success of Disco Elysium tells me that Josh Sawyer's big concern has not materialized: that OBS had contributed to escalating the indie RPG cost by making it minimum stakes to have full VO for RPGs. I don't think many people complained that Disco Elysium was missing full VO.

The problem is the streamers. Just recently CohhCarnage made another Deadfire playthrough. I doubt he would do it if he had to read aloud all the text himself.

1 hour ago, Desmodeus said:

I think soon this problem will be fixed by development of voice engines. Already even foss one show great progress in both quality of line reading and range of possible voices. I think in 10 years max many indie devs would be able to make full VO for there game just by running text though such engines and recording it. Hell I even seen it done nowdays with engines themselves in mods for morrowind. 

Can you give a link where I could listen to a voice engine in a Morrowind mod? It would be interesting.

I am somewhat sceptical, but I will be very happy to be proven wrong.

8 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Can you give a link where I could listen to a voice engine in a Morrowind mod? It would be interesting.

It is rather old mod(I played around it in 2012 or so). Mod is called TalkyMorrowind and it require installation of separate voice engines as it does not have any of them inbuilt

Here is example from youtube

Edited by Desmodeus

Excuse my french, but streamers my ass. :)

I feared that video might sound like it does. A bit like Commander Data reading the lines. Ok, it's from 2012 - but I also checked some text-to-speech for some learning software today (coincidentally) and at least that one still wasn't anywhere near a proper trained voice actor. But 10 years is a long time for those things - so maybe...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

2 hours ago, Desmodeus said:

It is rather old mod(I played around it in 2012 or so). Mod is called TalkyMorrowind and it require installation of separate voice engines as it does not have any of them inbuilt

Thanks! The voice quality was better than I expected. Will be interesting to see if this is something that actual game developers will eventually use.

6 minutes ago, wih said:

I don't care about watching streams either, but isn't it a useful publicity for the game?

Yes, it is. But if streamers can't be bothered to read out text rather than looking into the camera while it gets read for them then screw them I'd say. 

There's a very popular German Let's Player named "Gronkh". I don't follow him but in the few vids I saw he was reading all dialogues with different voices and intonation. It was engaging enough (and sometimes also funny) and he doesn't seem to have any reservations or problems with non-full VO. To the contrary I'd say. 

Of course you should be a streamer who can read fluently. Some might struggle with that. But then I'd argue they shouldn't play dialogue-heavy CRPGs in the first place. 

Edited by Boeroer

12 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I feared that video might sound like it does. A bit like Commander Data reading the lines. Ok, it's from 2012 - but I also checked some text-to-speech for some learning software today (coincidentally) and at least that one still wasn't anywhere near a proper trained voice actor.

Yeah, but if full VO will become market requirement for RPG - Commander Delta VO would be taken better then no VO in term of sales. And it would still be cheaper then having proper payed actors AND can be reused in multiple projects without seperate payments(unless we count prices of SaaS)

True - but I would argue that it's better to have no VO instead of bad VO.

Unless you want to support players with disabilities of course - for them text-to speech would be great to have whatever the quality is unless you can understand it well. 

But as I said: 10 years is a lot of time for tech, especially when it involves KI. With a smart enough KI and good training I can see that text-to speech might indeed be a great solution to this problem. Those Google Assistant phone calls were impressive. And at the same time maybe it will also replace lots of narrative designers, composers, artists and testers - depending on how well it can generate game content that players like. That will be weird...

Maybe we will soon have a "made by real humans" label. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Testers possible but I doubt narrative designers will be replaced until the time we will be able to create proper self-identifying AI. As narrative is very thin barely computable thing. Computer would need to have proper understanding of what narrative is or else we will have very dry by the number stories. Though looking on modern isekai anime... Maybe they are already doing it xD

P.S Anyone know what happened to that foss project of "generate every music possible that was not created  and put it under open source licence"? xD

• Haha 1