Politics... US election edition (2020 almost over, read all about it!)

Gorth

Just now, Darkpriest said:

correct? 

no.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Was the election rigged? Let’s take a look. — Sen. Jeff Jackson | by Sen. Jeff Jackson | Jan, 2021 | Medium

Last week I sent an email that bluntly stated:
“The election was not rigged. The elected officials saying otherwise are being intentionally dishonest.”
And I got a lot of replies from people saying, “Are you SURE it wasn’t rigged? How do you know? Where’s the proof? I heard that it was, so maybe we should look into that.”
Ok, so let me double back for a minute.
If you honestly aren’t sure whether or not the election was rigged, the best way I know to address that is to provide a wide variety of sources on the subject.
So here are 44 sources — a number of them supporters of the president — for you to consider.
In my view, if you genuinely believe that the election may have been stolen, you owe it to yourself to at least check your beliefs against what you see below.
(And if, upon review, you determine that the evidence does not support a conclusion that the election was rigged, the next step would be to cast a skeptical eye toward the sources that repeatedly tried to convince you otherwise.)
“But Jeff, why should I believe anything you say?”
Don’t. Check the sources.
“But Jeff, these sources are all corrupt and lying and should be ignored!”
Ok — but just know that when people accuse you of believing a conspiracy theory, this is why.
It’s because — in the face of an immense number of fact checks, Republican judges, and Republican elected officials — you’re not willing to consider the possibility that you may have been misled.
That’s conspiracy theory territory, and you should just know that going in.
For everyone else, please share this and let’s see if we can reach a few people. It might not work, but we should at least try.
- Sen. Jeff Jackson

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Some Republican pundit I’ve never heard of stated that removing Trump from Twitter was an example of communism. In the same speech she suggested that social media platforms be nationalized.

That loud bang you heard was my head exploding.

the republican party has had the impossible task o' taking trump tweets and statements and making such opinions republican dogma. trump is erratic, ignorant and narcissistic w/o any ideological framework guiding his opinions. if trump accuses social media platforms o' communism when they act to protect their brand, then it necessarily becomes the job o' republicans to make sense o' such stoopid. the only way to achieve what trump wants is, as we noted already, to identify social media as a public utility. 

it doesn't need make sense. trump isn't reasonable or rational so expect reasonable and rational from trump is itself unreasonable. nevertheless, the party and its defenders has been contorting themselves in an attempt to defend trumpism as complimentary with republican values since the trump became the nominee in 2016. would be laughable, but the trump base doesn't need more than enthusiasm and angry o' trump and from trump.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.

HA! Good Fun!

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Does the same hold true for Apple and Epic?

Wouldn't Apple and Google vis a vis Parler be the better analogy with Apple and Epic rather than Trump v Twitter?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Technically that's a Monopsony when applied to Parler- effective control of a marketplace required for selling- rather than a monopoly which is a single supplier of a product. So GooglePlay on Android, Steam on PC or the Apple Store are all monopsonies rather than monopolies. Not sure what the definition would be for Trump, since as a free service Twitter was selling him as a product.

32 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Too bad they wont do that daily for all facets of reporting. :lol:

How useless is Forbes is they don't treat all the information they're fed as potential disinformation? Typical Gromnir that he actually seems to think "we will only properly scrutinise those we disagree with politically"- which is what they're actually saying- is a good thing instead of something they should do for every bit of information they're fed because it's being fed to them with an agenda. It's not something to be admired, it's them admitting they're usually an acritical PR mouthpiece.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Typical Gromnir that he actually seems to think...

wow. came to your conclusion 'bout what we think, putting in quotes even, w/o us editorializing whatsoever.

we posted a link to the story and a key quote. rest were you.

amazing... and ironic given context. congrats on doing the work for us.

HA! Good Fun!

55 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Maybe Trump will remember where the briefing room is.  Sure is a useful alternative.

But at least Angela and Emmanuel have his back here - https://fortune.com/2021/01/11/problematic-twitter-merkel-france-trump/

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

HA! Good Fun!

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

[stuff]

It's- obviously- a 'quote' of what Forbes is saying, not what you're saying. Try reading it again, without the knee smashing through the desk.

As for the rest, not my fault you've developed a reputation for defending any press stupidity that fits your beliefs. Russia going bankrupt in 6 months back in 2014? You still defended that garbage, six years later.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, if the Obsidian forums required my ID, even if they supposedly keep it private, I'd have gladly been gone without a word. Madness.

(e): Also, apparently they had additional features for people who submitted their social security numbers? ...I don't see how this can possibly be true, that'd be just insane, but it is what I heard.

Heaps of sites already have that though. More worryingly, 'real identities' for online content is one of the planks for most progressive politicians' wet dreams for internet reform, and they have far more chance of getting those accepted now.

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

agree to terms o' service, or go elsewhere

They did Mr. Photo-op. And the biggest competitor just shut up the "somewhere else". So what now? 

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Funny how the same people who praise capitalism will curse the companies for practicing capitalism. The media companies do what they do to make money (or not lose money).

Which thing that I'm "cursing" would you call capitalism? State sponsored, law influencing monopolies? How is that a capitalism? How is the communist governmental central planing economy any different from Silicon Valley central planing economy? You replaced the actors and the scene but it's the same screenplay. 
And no, those companies I'm criticizing do not do what they do to make money. A hairdresser deciding he will not serve ginger people is hardly a move to make money. And under a normal free market circumstances I would defend his right to specialize, because there would be hairdressers that serve all or serve exclusively to ginger people. But if he influence the market and/or law to make it impossible for anyone to serve ginger people then it's a completely different situation. 
The way the media and social media operates right now would not fly in any other branch of economy in a free market.

166215__front.jpg

"Typical Gromnir that he actually seems to think "we will only properly scrutinise those we disagree with politically"- which is what they're actually saying- is a good thing instead of something they should do for every bit of information they're fed because it's being fed to them with an agenda."

*chuckle*

you are a gift which keeps on giving. imaginary attributions and self-sabotage?  please, continue?

@Skarpen_one

is not up to private enterprise to provide an alternative forum.

HA! Good Fun! 

Edited by Gromnir

7 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

And no, those companies I'm criticizing do not do what they do to make money. A hairdresser deciding he will not serve ginger people is hardly a move to make money. And under a normal free market circumstances I would defend his right to specialize, because there would be hairdressers that serve all or serve exclusively to ginger people. But if he influence the market and/or law to make it impossible for anyone to serve ginger people then it's a completely different situation. 

As he said, they also do it to not lose money which they, in AWS for example, decided was better to do for Parler's amount as opposed to others.  Although would be interesting to see how that would have played out - would be a boon for Azure I would guess.  Not sure they are in the situation where someone has made it impossible to serve them - in the case of approaching new vendors, those vendors' ability to say no is more clear cut as well.   Imagine if Alibaba were to host them :lol:

They are suing AWS though - https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/29095511/1/parler-llc-v-amazon-web-services-inc/

Sort of weird to see marketing in the actual court document.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Nobody asks them to do that, they are asked to not shut down the alternative forums and make it illegal to create alternative forums. 

and the circular silly continues. so we are back to forcing the random suit to publish against their will? 

HA! Good Fun!

46 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

so we are back to forcing the random suit to publish against their will? 

HA! Good Fun!

you are a gift which keeps on giving. imaginary attributions and self-sabotage?  please, continue?

166215__front.jpg

tough call. you may be even more amusing than the other guy. he imagines our response and makes attributions based on a reputation he creates outta the ether as a way to criticize Gromnir and lack o' diligence in reporting? on the other hand, you chase your own tail so that am dizzy watching your antics, but to your credit, you didn't invoke our response by mentioning us by name when you bumbled your way into insensibility.

anywho...

FBI memo warns law enforcement across U.S. of possible armed protests at 50 state Capitols

"The FBI has sent a memo to law enforcement agencies across the country warning of possible armed protests at all 50 state Capitols starting Jan. 16, and also says an armed group has threatened to travel to Washington, D.C., the same day and stage an uprising if Congress removes President Donald Trump from office, according to a senior law enforcement official."

HA! Good Fun!

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Maybe Trump will remember where the briefing room is.  Sure is a useful alternative.

But at least Angela and Emmanuel have his back here - https://fortune.com/2021/01/11/problematic-twitter-merkel-france-trump/

This is what I said. You can expect a heavy anti-trust hammer coming down on US tech on the EU side. This display of force woke up some people. So far, there was an unspoken consensus, that even though those companies hold such buttons at their disposal, they will not use them against the political class. This is now out of the window, and there will be a lot of regulation coming. It will take some time thougj to clarify the details, as there will be disagreement about the definition of prohibited hate speach, but there are always things you can trade among EU countries to get to an effective consensus. 

Those comapnies were already in the crosshair for tax related matters and privacy related regulations. 

• Like 1

@Gromnir lol, you have the audacity to accuse someone that they imagine responses and makes attributions out of air when you basically do only that in between photo-op sessions 😄

On other hand let's see how quickly below action will be called illegal and the providor will be forced to unblock Grommies masters:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/m7a5ay/isp-blocks-twitter-facebook-protest-trump-ban-censorship

166215__front.jpg