Politics... US election edition (2020 almost over, read all about it!)

Gorth

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

Thanks for responding when you can because I am building up a picture of BLM and the fair and unfair issues. How did you feel about  the BLM occupation in that  Seattle police station 

But let me share what I thought, I appreciate your opinion to be honest  because you and I share a healthy view of Obama,  and I still stand by the good he did. And I am sure you have noticed he gets the most ridiculous comments and questions. But its fine because the deciding factor on what makes a good question is his approval rating when he leaves and that was high about 58 %

And back to the police station,  it should be seen as a  very bold attack on a symbol of any city. You cant occupy a police station in any lawful society but its just a BLM protest so no need to overact and maybe its better to tone down general conflicts ?

I suppose I want to know why ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

I

Restrictions help to prevent spread of the virus as long as people follow those restrictions. Which is why it is pretty impossible to say which would be best strategy to follow until the pandemic is over (given that it actually ends in some point)

It really is not, but we have good PR teams and you only heard things that we have done right

Elerond I hope you not being naughty again....did Finland use masks from the beginning and have you been wearing a mask?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Trump didn't just make the Obama presidency look amazing in contrast, he rehabilitated the image of every President before him. Nixon's preserved head probably has a big smile on it, as he is now off the hook. :p

You are right and he deserves to be called on this point, I also thought  there was unnecessary " ending Obama legacy " grandstanding and he made it into this extreme crusade. Its like he  had to beat Obama somehow, it was very weird 

Yet somehow  he cant preserve his own legacy , I forgot the Obama hyperbole. So yes you right, he must he feeling terrible 

John Milton 

Sounds like Parler needs to buy some servers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Elerond I hope you not being naughty again....did Finland use masks from the beginning and have you been wearing a mask?

Recommendation for using mask come in September. I would estimate that it was October when majority started to use them in public places. There has been people using them from start, but they were mainly those who could not avoid human contacts because of their job. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elerond said:

Recommendation for using mask come in September. I would estimate that it was October when majority started to use them in public places. There has been people using them from start, but they were mainly those who could not avoid human contacts because of their job. 

Okay good to know,  I didnt doubt you were following the correct advice  but I am still a little shocked that Sweden and Norway  had cases of people not wearing masks 

What about Denmark?

John Milton 

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sounds like Parler needs to buy some servers.

And they will be reimbursed for the downtime, amount of manhours put into development of their product with cloud etc.? 

So you are basically saying that another company can influence what you can and what you cant do as your business, who to hire, what to sell etc.? 

Imagine now a bank being shut down, because people share information in non politically correct form. Etc. 

I realize emotions are high, and you don:t give a hoot about it, until it will affect you? But for now it is affecting those, who you dislike. 

Edited by Darkpriest

13 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Sooo... You guys are fine with this? 

Nothing rings an alarm bell? Still fine and open market with equal competition rights? 

You know that you are with you concerns nearly 15 years late. Cloud providers have had power to decide to kill business from beginning and they have done it constantly. 

And funnily situation is big part thanks to republicans (but they have not been alone with their 'pro' business stand) who have blocked all attempts to put restrictions for companies unilaterally end service contract that breaks their ToS, which they are able to change any point unilaterally

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Okay good to know,  I didnt doubt you were following the correct advice  but I am still a little shocked that Sweden and Norway  had cases of people not wearing masks 

What about Denmark?

I mean the situation is about 60% wearing and 40% not wearing. And it isn't compulsory outside of healthcare and some other jobs to people wear them.

I would say that situation in Finland would probably be much worse if social distancing wasn't part of our normal cultural behavior 

5 minutes ago, Elerond said:

You know that you are with you concerns nearly 15 years late. Cloud providers have had power to decide to kill business from beginning and they have done it constantly. 

And funnily situation is big part thanks to republicans (but they have not been alone with their 'pro' business stand) who have blocked all attempts to put restrictions for companies unilaterally end service contract that breaks their ToS, which they are able to change any point unilaterally

Not to mention that twitter account is not Amazon, it's a union for Amazon workers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, Elerond said:

I mean the situation is about 60% wearing and 40% not wearing. And it isn't compulsory outside of healthcare and some other jobs to people wear them.

I would say that situation in Finland would probably be much worse if social distancing wasn't part of our normal cultural behavior 

I dont wear my mask when I am walking outside but always in shops and inside places 

Does Lappland wear masks?

John Milton 

40 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Sooo... You guys are fine with this? 

Nothing rings an alarm bell? Still fine and open market with equal competition rights? 

Hah, most people here have been voicing concerns about this crap for years. Welcome to the party. Did you complain about the attempts to ban TikTok last year?

It would be pretty humorous if Trump takes his act there after spending last year threatening to ban it in the US.

I'm pretty much anti-censorship full time. Government led or corporate led. Of course I also believe there is the proper platform for different types of speech. If people want to turn Parler into a conservative echo chamber, then no skin off my nose. Within certain legal bounds, of course. If you use it to organize acts of violence, that is a different story. Hence the current debate. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

And they will be reimbursed for the downtime, amount of manhours put into development of their product with cloud etc.? 

So you are basically saying that another company can influence what you can and what you cant do as your business, who to hire, what to sell etc.? 

Imagine now a bank being shut down, because people share information in non politically correct form. Etc. 

I realize emotions are high, and you don:t give a hoot about it, until it will affect you? But for now it is affecting those, who you dislike. 

Sure.  But had meant, they can stamp their feet or fix the problem - although I guess they'd present the same headache for Azure or Akamai.  Was more a jab at the kind of people on there and their general attitude to complaining such as this.   So when should a company be free to decide whose money they no longer want to take ?

Also, this is just Amazon workers demanding it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

consider: as of 1/9, there has been no federal law enforcement or wh briefing regarding the events of 1/6.

we had a statement from the press secretary condemning violence and a couple conflicting videos from trump, but no informative briefings following an attack on the Capitol.

nobody is shocked by the failure o' this Presidential administration to face the press following the events at the Capitol, but we should be. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Thanks for responding when you can because I am building up a picture of BLM and the fair and unfair issues. How did you feel about  the BLM occupation in that  Seattle police station 

But let me share what I thought, I appreciate your opinion to be honest  because you and I share a healthy view of Obama,  and I still stand by the good he did. And I am sure you have noticed he gets the most ridiculous comments and questions. But its fine because the deciding factor on what makes a good question is his approval rating when he leaves and that was high about 58 %

And back to the police station,  it should be seen as a  very bold attack on a symbol of any city. You cant occupy a police station in any lawful society but its just a BLM protest so no need to overact and maybe its better to tone down general conflicts ?

I suppose I want to know why ?

Sure.

The protesters in Seattle occupied an area of several city blocks surrounding a police station; I think the station itself was just boarded up. I didn't care that much about the situation because I figured it was yet another protest in an area of the city that is more prone to political activistism, and the event would eventually wind itself down. To me, Mayor Durkan's acts seemed intent on resolving the situation with a minimum of bloodshed, so I was okay with a measured response. I know there are those who wanted a more punative action against the protesters, but I think it was mostly resolved peacefully in the end. (There were a couple of unfortunate losses of life, but to me that's on the protesters who drove out the police.)

What I really didn't like for was calls by the activists to "defund" the police, rather than reforming it. To me that's an ignorant, self-defeating proposition, bordering on the idiotic. The Seattle police is now suffering morale problems and their people are leaving in droves. Fortunately that hasn't happened out in the suburbs where I live, and I'm okay with that. I do worry Seattle city could become a crime haven. I'm already uncomfortable going downtown these days, such as for jury duty. They need more police, not less.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

13 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

This is totally going to work:

FB_IMG_1610247954741.jpg

Forgot to put 4. Your Social Security Number

1 minute ago, rjshae said:

Sure.

The protesters in Seattle occupied an area of several city blocks surrounding a police station; I think the station itself was just boarded up. I didn't care that much about the situation because I figured it was yet another protest in an area of the city that is more prone to political activistism, and the event would eventually wind itself down. To me, Mayor Durkan's acts seemed intent on resolving the situation with a minimum of bloodshed, so I was okay with a measured response. I know there are those who wanted a more punative action against the protesters, but I think it was mostly resolved peacefully in the end. (There were a couple of unfortunate losses of life, but to me that's on the protesters who drove out the police.)

What I really didn't like for was calls by the activists to "defund" the police, rather than reforming it. To me that's an ignorant, self-defeating proposition, bordering on the idiotic. The Seattle police is now suffering morale problems and their people are leaving in droves. Fortunately that hasn't happened out in the suburbs where I live, and I'm okay with that. I do worry Seattle city could become a crime haven. I'm already uncomfortable going downtown these days, such as for jury duty. They need more police, not less.

Thank you for the really detailed response but this is a new update  to BLM protests and the outcome and its very concerning.

Also I am really glad you have  identified the outcome as now the question must be asked by the people of Seattle and its valid one " was the BLM protests worth the outcome " now you  guys can answer because the good and bad falls on the people ? Also how do you know Cops have been fired 

Do you think Cops resigning is due to the actual days of the protest or is it  what I  have seen before where Cops are resigning due to how they feel they are being blamed for everything and its  lack of belief in the job ?

John Milton