Xmas and NY Plans

BruceVC

Sup All

So the pandemic has made this  year the worst year in living memory for most of us

Buts its still the best holiday of the year for me and an important time for Christians so this time really matters where we normally on leave and we spend time with family and friends 

What are your subdued and Corona limited Xmas plans? I am having Xmas by myself as I mentioned in a previous post and I cancelled my holiday trip to Durban due to the second and serious wave we seeing in SA

I am going to replicate a Xmas lunch but just for myself, so the meal will include

• Roast Pork
  • Roast potatoes made with Duck fat 
  • A nice, healthy salad 

But I hope to hear from others who will be celebrating Xmas with family and friends, not all countries are like SA with the new virus spread 

And NY is going to be very boring but safe. I am not going out and will probably follow CNN 24/7 coverage of the various NY global celebrations 🥳

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lucky here that things will be much the same as any other year: roast turkey, xmas pudding etc in 25 degrees celsius heat and 90+% humidity...

Only covid related issue is that my sister and family were going to be here from Ockerland for the first time in 5 years and that has been cancelled. Compared to elsewhere that's utterly trivial.

• Like 1

No plans really. Just hanging out with Sunny and probably playing FO4 or reading a book.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Lucky here that things will be much the same as any other year: roast turkey, xmas pudding etc in 25 degrees celsius heat and 90+% humidity...

Only covid related issue is that my sister and family were going to be here from Ockerland for the first time in 5 years and that has been cancelled. Compared to elsewhere that's utterly trivial.

Yeah, NZ is one of the few countries that can celebrate Xmas without the fear of virus spread or new strains that are more contagious 

I am glad there are some " good news " stories outside all the real and sustained damage and impact to our societies the pandemic has created 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Christmas day we'll get up and open present and then make a delicious breakfast. Afterwards Ill set up / clean up and then probably take a nap. NYE isnt really a big deal anymore. Have a few drinks with my wife while I struggle to make it to midnight to watch the ball drop. :lol: Actually, we usually watch the New York ball drop so its an hour earlier.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Christmas day we'll get up and open present and then make a delicious breakfast. Afterwards Ill set up / clean up and then probably take a nap. NYE isnt really a big deal anymore. Have a few drinks with my wife while I struggle to make it to midnight to watch the ball drop. :lol: Actually, we usually watch the New York ball drop so its an hour earlier.

Are you still having your large family gathering, from your wife's  side , this year? I cant imagine its going as well supported ?

My family and cousins officially cancelled our yearly Xmas celebration  at our beach cottage this morning , I had already cancelled my trip but now its officially cancelled for everyone else 

John Milton 

Just now, Gfted1 said:

No, the family parties have been cancelled. A lot of those people I only see once a year during these parties. :( 

Even just your familiy will be hiding and keeping quiet like Anne Frank in the basement. The Illinois state police candetect wrapping paper being torn from a mile away. They will kick down the door, shoot everyone in sight, then congratualte themselves for protecting you from Corona! :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?

The same procedure as every year, James!

Well, not quite.

Since we're going into another lockdown on December, 26th we will skip our traditional final family meal. Well, not skip. We'll deliver the food to everyone and then enjoy it  at home, no visiting. New Year's party will fall flat probably, but not sure yet. You're allowed to have a single guest, but said guest is technically not allowed to violate the curfew for a mere visit.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

A request has been made for a rack of ribs on Christmas Eve, so I will be figuring out how to pull that off. We will probably walk the neighborhood and look at the lights, and then watch Christmas movies. It is just our family.

Christmas day I'll make pancakes, and then I think we are doing Enchiladas for dinner. We are also planning a socially distanced bike ride with some other family members during the day.

• Like 1

Usual quiet Christmas at home helping my mom cook.   NYE will be spent as always, watch the fireworks in Stormwind in WoW and then go to bed 😛

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One of my brothers wifes in Durban sent me a Xmas cake which was delivered today, what a thoughtful gesture 

20201224_111548.jpg

John Milton 

Nothing planned for Christmas (it's a "non event" for me), but I will go out and watch the river fire works and get drunk on New Years eve here in Brisbane.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Business as usual for me. My family don't buy all this nonsense fearmongering and we have our Christmas Eve celebrated as always 40+ family members in my parents country house. Used to be my grandparents house but they passed a couple years back so now my folks organize. It's always nice to meet all those guys at once. 

• Like 1

166215__front.jpg

I have bought all my ingredients for my " Im alone at Xmas lunch " lunch today  ;)

I have received some nice videos and pic's from friends and family who all having there own respective " lockdown " Xmas parties 

So that always makes things better 🎅

John Milton