Strike Three... the 2021 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

Dodgers at Padres tied 3-3  in the 8th. This series has all the drama you could want.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Bobby Bonilla day Mets fans! 

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

The Baltimore Orioles will have and all female broadcast team tonight: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/for-the-first-time-an-mlb-game-will-be-called-by-all-women.html

This is a bigger deal than it should be. Susan Waldorman has been doing Yankees radio color for years. She does a good job of it. The Marlins Tommy Hutton is retiring and the radio crew now includes Kelly Sacco and she has been doing a great job. I catch most Marlins games on the radio. Jessica Mendoza was on Sunday night baseball for a few years and that was a great crew.

Thomas Sowell

The Cleveland Indian’s announce name change.

say hello to the Cleveland Guardians. They went from a name that was arguably racist to one that just f——-g sucks. 

like I posted before if they chose anything other than Spiders it was the wrong answer.

Thomas Sowell

Huh. They had Tom Hanks narrate the name change, which is pretty smart. But yeah, still doesn't really resonate. I think the most jarring thing, as a non-Cleveland fan, is that it will make watching Major League a bit weird.

It seems strange they didn't go with something Rock centric. The label did come out decently.

cleveland-guardians-logo-new-indians-tea

Yeah even something referencing the presence of the rock ‘n’ roll Hall of Fame would have been acceptable. Failing that you want something that ties the current team to its history. Let’s face it baseball has its history and its traditions. It’s one of the few things that makes the sport distinctive.

The name of a team should at least in some part reflect the city. But I would imagine “trash fire on the Cuyahoga“ was probably too long to fit on the jersey.

Edit: OK reading a bit more. The name comes from a couple of statues on one of the bridges. I guess it’s famous in town. Having never been there it was lost on me. It’s not the first MLB team to get its name from a statue. The Tampa Bay Devil rays were named for the statue of the manta ray in front of the Tampa aquarium.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

The Cleveland Indian’s announce name change.

say hello to the Cleveland Guardians. They went from a name that was arguably racist to one that just f——-g sucks. 

like I posted before if they chose anything other than Spiders it was the wrong answer.

I was rooting for the Cleveland Lake Shores to make a return. 😄  Pretty sure they weren't going to return to the Napoleons...

While I'd love for a team to be called the Spiders, I think there's too many arachnophobes around to make that a viable name anymore.

But seriously, I kinda like that the name ties in with the city.  Here's hoping the logo design is faux art deco to match the art deco statues.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Now that I know there actually is a link between the name in the city I don’t hate it as much as I did. When I first heard it I thought it was just a generic sports team name. Like the Wildcats or some thing.

Still would have loved to see the Spiders get resurrected. What can I say I have a fascination with the dead ball era.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

I don't disagree with you, I've always wished there was a major team called the Spiders in the modern day, and since there was a Cleveland Spiders, it'd have had ties to the city's baseball history.

BUT if it was even considered, I bet some marketing people crunched some numbers and were like "Nope, Arachnophobia is real." 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A couple of guys at Chris Creamer’s site worked up a few logo concepts for Spiders that were really sharp

image.thumb.jpeg.3bad6bae1f316b8bcaa2da7bc80c5241.jpeg

Oh well.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

the indians name (as 'posed to redskins) didn't annoy us personal, but am getting how it bothered some. on the other hand, a few o' the indian mascots over the years...

as for new name, am thinking cleveland missed an opportunity to change the dynamic on naming. coulda' appealed to fan base and made the baseball team front page news everywhere in the US for at least a few days by changing from indians to michigan sux

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Now THERE was a missed opportunity!

On other news today: Rays trade for Nelson Cruz

The Twins got back to very good almost major-league ready bullpen arms. Cruz’s bat is definitely needed but I think the twins are going to come out better end of this trade.

Thomas Sowell

Meanwhile in Washington DC

image.thumb.jpeg.89622ea23dd2e5cfaddac3ec095f7038.jpeg

Thomas Sowell

A lot of action on the trade deadline. A lot of action. But the West Coast intrigue in the National League is just delicious. The Padres all but had Max Scherzer in their pocket. Then the Dodgers swooped in and took not only him but Trey Turner too. If padres fans didn’t already hate the Dodgers (how could they not) they do now. But then the Giants said “hold my beer“ and go and get Chris Bryant. A legit slugger with another season of control. I understand the Padres are in on him too. San Diego ends up with the consolation prize. Jake Marisnick a second tier starter from Houston. It’s like San Diego was Charlie Brown and the Dodgers were Lucy.

Oakland got quite a bit better over the last couple of days too. When it comes to competitive baseball though the American League East and the National League west is where it’s at. It’s going to be an exciting couple of months to close out the season. When the paint races are close every game counts

Thomas Sowell

ED94BD80-F9C6-45C7-9339-89B1C07B02E7.gif

Thomas Sowell

The Cleveland Spiders is still open, just sayin’

it’s never too late to do the right thing

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Eh, a company selling merchandise(?) already has the Cleveland Spiders .com registration, so they'll just be changing one fight for another.  Unless they do like the Cleveland Spidazzzzz or something.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Eh, a company selling merchandise(?) already has the Cleveland Spiders .com registration, so they'll just be changing one fight for another.  Unless they do like the Cleveland Spidazzzzz or something.

It all comes down to how big a check you have to write. If I owned the name I would sell it to them for $1 and a 1 penny royalty on all merchandise. I would even negotiate that down a half a penny. It’s still more than enough to make me a millionaire

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So this is embarrassing. Yesterday the Marlins were playing the Rockies in Denver. It’s the ninth-inning, Lewis Brinson is up to bat. The crowd was kind of quiet and on the broadcast people heard what sounded like a racial slur. Brinson happens to be black. Of course the Rockies issued a statement condemning it and conducted an investigation trying to find out who said it because he is going to find himself banned for life from Coors Field. After they analyze the tape it turned out what the man actually said was “Hey Dinger”. Dinger is the Rockies mascot. 

https://apple.news/Aga8_l60TT7WyUN1VxkFiYw

Thomas Sowell

Watching the field of dreams game between the White Sox and the Yankees. Loving the throwback uniforms!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell