Strike Three... the 2021 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 4/18/2021 at 5:49 AM, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 4/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, Leferd said:

10 in a row for Oakland.

image.jpeg.5915b54524d93e46875b67305ccc8a08.jpeg

Riding the wave.

LOL not two hours after you posted this they were down by two runs in the bottom of the 10th inning. I thought for sure you had just laid a mighty jinx on them by posting this. But they somehow got out of that.

@Hurlshotyour boys are going down tonight. The fish got you two out of three in Miami and they’re gonna do it again in San Francisco 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

@Hurlshotyour boys are going down tonight. The fish got you two out of three in Miami and they’re gonna do it again in San Francisco 

I go into every series expecting an implosion, so you will get no argument for me. I am shocked at their record right now. The pen has actually blown 3 games too. I still think they are a .500 team at the end of this, but it has been fun so far. 

I love the Buster Posey renaissance. The way he is throwing out runners is just as big as the homers.

The first month of baseball is in the books. In case you missed anything here’s the recap:

Thomas Sowell

Albert Pujols has been DFA. It’s really sad when the ones great ones are no longer that great or even very good.

Thomas Sowell

Dodgers have lost 5 straight series and are 3-11 over their last 14 games. Meanwhile the Giants are six wins over 500 and leading the NL west. Who would’ve figured?

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Dodgers have lost 5 straight series and are 3-11 over their last 14 games. Meanwhile the Giants are six wins over 500 and leading the NL west. Who would’ve figured?

Certainly not me. I still expect them to fall back to earth a bit. It's a long season. But it has been a fun ride so far. 

48 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I gotta be honest, I thought that was an overdramatic take on most stuff. The only serious issue there was a potential strike.

Eliminating blackout borders. This is a big one for me. When the Marlins play the Cardinals I don’t get to watch. If you buy the streaming package which is already not cheap you should get to watch every game. And to be quite honest there should be more free games broadcast on platforms like Facebook and YouTube. They were absolutely right if they want the sport to remain viable it needs to be easy to access.

Edit: Compensatory draft picks. That has to go. A team should not be punished for signing a good free agent. And an international draft that’s a definite must have. It’s putting homegrown players at a disadvantage with international players.

and just from a personal standpoint I do wish they would stop monkeying around with the rules.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Dodgers sign Pujols for the rest of the season

that worked out well. He doesn’t even need to move. I wonder when a guy like that has gone into such a deep decline is he even aware of it? I mean he sees his stat sheet but deep down inside do you think he’s aware that in the last five seasons he has not  hit over .220? Belanger, Muncy, and Beatty are all first baseman, all on the Dodgers and all better hitters than him.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Pujols still has some power though. He can pinch hit favorably, I would think. He isn't going to be fielding much.

He loves the games and can still hit, so at 41 I am happy he still could find a club.

Edited by Hurlsnot

• 2 weeks later...

The month of May summarized in 20 minutes

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

image.jpeg.30839426eeaac7bf1584207d3a35cfc5.jpeg

FYI Gwynn was .415 lifetime against Maddox

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.e9aa36b90f429f5bddb8ed0dba414b4e.jpeg

this got me curious how many other Super Bowl QBs  has been drafted by the MLB. Turns out it was more than you think. John Elway of course but that one’s easy. Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, Kerry Collins, Ken Stabler, Colin Kaepernick, Dan Marino, Steve McNair, Jim McMahon, and Doug Williams all were drafted by a MLB team at some point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thomas Sowell

Wish nothing but the best for the guy, but I'm not sure how to feel about ever seeing Kyler Murray joining that list.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The internet reminded me this occurred on this date (June 14, 1987), 34 years ago.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 2 weeks later...

The Marlins laid an egg. The rays laid a bigger one. Since that went off I’ve been flipping back-and-forth between the Dodgers at the Padres and the Giants beating the Angels. The NL west is the most interesting division in baseball. Except for the Diamondbacks. They are roadkill.

Thomas Sowell