Coronavirus Goes Fourth

Amentep

8 hours ago, Skarpen said:

In Poland I doubt this could happen.

I'm fairly certain that it could, all you need is a private clinic and the accrediting number for a lab, and a willingness to risk peoples lives for money.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

32 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'm fairly certain that it could, all you need is a private clinic and the accrediting number for a lab, and a willingness to risk peoples lives for money.

Skarpen: "Could never happen in Poland".
World Corruption Perceptions Index:
corruption_poland.png?dl=1

sweden_corruption.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

5 hours ago, Skarpen said:

You use elevators with other people inside during pandemic? You are irresponsible.

Unfortunately, some people don't have a choice. What they do recommend though is not talking while riding on an elevator -- but don't people generally do that anyway? Hmm.

I wonder how deployment of UV-C irradiated elevator technology is coming along?

• Thanks 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access

When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

so it goes.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Following some people's argumentation using an elevator isn't a problem as long as you don't engage in sexual intercourse, don't lick, sing, cough, spit or yell. Because droplets can't fly and this is not Toy Story. Also everybody who enters an elevator will be tested and is not infected anyway so you're totally safe. 
true_story.jpeg?dl=1

I work in a buidling where the only stairs are fire exits.  You have to ride up in an elevator, no choice.

They've limited capacity (theoretically) to 4, and they have place markers that are positioned to suggest you face the walls, not the door.  They've also worked to decrease density at work, in general, so its rare that you end up on elevator with a person.

Edited by Amentep
exit-istential crisis
  • Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Following some people's argumentation using an elevator isn't a problem as long as you don't engage in sexual intercourse, don't lick, sing, cough, spit or yell. Because droplets can't fly and this is not Toy Story. Also everybody who enters an elevator will be tested and is not infected anyway so you're totally safe. 
true_story.jpeg?dl=1

You have serious problems with reading. Elevator, a confined space with strangers is very likely you could get coughed at for example. And your precious mask will do ****, because the droplet can get in your  eye that is not covered. 

So lets summarize:

Christmas party with your family, where everyone is tested -> bad

Elevator with strangers -> great idea

No wonder Germany have such high per capita infection rates. 

166215__front.jpg

World: *ironic sarcasm*
Skarpen:
summarize.png?dl=1

43 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

No wonder Germany have such high per capita infection rates. 

Germany: 160.4 cases in 7 days per 100K
Poland: 149.8 cases in 7 days per 100K

Population density in Germany: 233 per km²
Population density in Poland: 123 per km²

---
Total cases in Germany: ~2 million
Total cases in Poland: ~1.4 million
Total death count in Germany: ~45k
Total death count in Poland: ~32k

Population in Germany: ~80 million
Population in Poland: ~40 million

---

Skarpen:
tenor.gif

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boeroer said:

If the urge is uncontrollable - why can't I see the picture? ;)

'Uncontrollable' might be slightly hyperbolic, but I was pressed for time. It's also, frankly, a bit off topic.

What I get the shall we say barely controllable urge to do is point out that the concept of a perception index is deeply flawed, since what it's really measuring is (1) the amount to which a surveyed population deludes itself, and (2) what the international stereotype of that country is; not just how much corruption there actually is.

But still illustrates my point fairly well. "That corruption that happened there cannot happen here" while "here" perceives itself - and is perceived by others - to be a lot more corrupt than "there" is a pretty... bold... statement.

If anybody wants to know how the CPI is generated can have a look here: https://www.ifo.de/DocDL/dicereport309-rr2.pdf

Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI)

Methodology

The Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index ranks countries in terms of the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist among public officials and politicians. It is a composite index, a poll of polls, drawing on corruption-related data from expert and business surveys carried out by a variety of
independent and reputable institutions
. The CPI reflects views from around the world, including those of experts who are living in the countries evaluated.

Imo it's not nearly as bad as Zoraptor makes it sound. Other forms of measurement don't produce significantly different lists. In every list Sweden will be a country with rel. little corruption while Poland isn't too bad but also not really good. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Imo it's not nearly as bad as Zoraptor makes it sound.

Oh, it is. New Zealand has almost limitless capacity to decide that something that is corruption elsewhere isn't corruption, here, because we simply don't have corruption. That, and international reputation based on that self delusion is why we so consistently end up #1.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rjshae said:

Unfortunately, some people don't have a choice. What they do recommend though is not talking while riding on an elevator -- but don't people generally do that anyway? Hmm.

I wonder how deployment of UV-C irradiated elevator technology is coming along?

Yes this is exactly my reality, I live in a flat apartment and from the underground parking there is basically only a lift to my floor

I normally use stairs and its good exercise but sometimes I have no choice to use the lift  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Amentep said:

I work in a buidling where the only stairs are fire exits.  You have to ride up in an elevator, no choice.

They've limited capacity (theoretically) to 4, and they have place markers that are positioned to suggest you face the walls, not the door.  They've also worked to decrease density at work, in general, so its rare that you end up on elevator with a person.

Amentep isnt that interesting , you and I have the exact same reality where we live except I have no  regulations or rules that people follow in the lift

It shows again how much random strangers can have in  common...thats probably why we agree on so many things ;)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

'Uncontrollable' might be slightly hyperbolic, but I was pressed for time. It's also, frankly, a bit off topic.

What I get the shall we say barely controllable urge to do is point out that the concept of a perception index is deeply flawed, since what it's really measuring is (1) the amount to which a surveyed population deludes itself, and (2) what the international stereotype of that country is; not just how much corruption there actually is.

Sorry Zora but NZ is not considered a corrupt country by any reasonable measurement and I hope you not suggesting that ?

We both know typical NS corruption is your normal  " man arrested after being found with fake sheep marriage license....marriage to beloved pet was annulled "

Thats not the corruption we talking about   :teehee:

John Milton 

7 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I think you can have an uncontrollable urge without doing something... Like... The urge is uncontrollable... The action is controllable but the urge is not... Discuss 

I don't know... I thought more like  "unstoppable urge meets insurmountable lazyness". Sounds more philosophical and really deep impo. ;)

• Haha 1

I wonder if the UK government evaluates education based on Sun readership.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Thats not nearly as terrifying sounding as the "CONCENTRATION CAMPS" we have here for our illegal immigrants. :p 

Exactly, when many  governments try to implement something like detention camps to address the huge numbers of illegal immigrants it can easily be mischaracterized by referring to them as  Concentration Camps " when in fact they nothing like that 

You want to know about irony, in SA we have a crisis with illegal immigrants coming from about 5 failed African countries whose corrupt leadership has destroyed any economic opportunities and future for their citizens. So millions of people come to SA illegally and we cannot stop them because we have porous borders 

But their is a solution, you know any country can apply to the UN and get funding for what is known as Refugee Camps that you see in the ME and conflicts like Syria. But in SA some people in government think this is " un-African and goes against our values " 

Except for the fact throughout Africa you find these refugee camps that many governments use and no one  accuses these governments of being " un-African " .....only SA gets labeled like this 

https://africa-facts.org/africas-biggest-refugee-camps/

John Milton