Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

English breakfast time, nothing better on a Sunday. Today its eggs, beef sausage, bacon, potato rostis, tomato and toast ....another almost Vegan but delicious meal 🍖

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

One of my neighbors brought us some homemade quiche (cheese, bacon, spinach) and it was delicious!

Nice, you have friendly neighboors....is this one of people you sometimes visit and drink with?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Had some kind of pepper (vegetable or whatever, not the spice) that just about killed me inside some fried corn quesadillas. Knew I was in for a bad time when I popped a tiny shred of it into my mouth and instantly started sweating and my gums started to tingle, and never mind my tongue. I could barely stand or see, and apparently I was deathly pale. Don't know what it was, because I got it from a friend of a friend that grows a bunch of different ones and it wasn't one I recognized (long and thin, which is weird, because the hottest peppers are usually more bulbous in appearance). A bit hotter than how hot I normally go, which is usually just habaneros. My digestive system isn't normally sensitive at all to hot stuff, but I have a feeling I might be feeling that one later on.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Baked trout with sautéed vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes. It was pretty good all things considered, but I wish I would have used more heat.

47 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

A bit hotter than how hot I normally go, which is usually just habaneros.

"just" is doing a lot of work here. Lmao.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Serrano is generally where I draw the line these days, I don't **** with peppers hotter than that. I have eaten hotter peppers in the past, but those are just that, in the past.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Ghost pepper?

Probably nothing too crazy like that - plus, it wasn't the right shape, it was too long and thin. Which I still think is odd, because all of the really hot peppers do generally look more like reapers or ghosts, i.e. thicker and shorter. Don't know what it was, maybe just a mutant of some normally-not-that-hot variety - that occasionally happens. I love the taste of jalapenos, but 99% of them are somewhere between "literally not spicy at all" and "a little spicy". Except once every blue moon, maybe one out of every couple hundred or so (I eat peppers on/with pretty much everything, though like I said, nothing too extreme), I get one that's somehow hotter than your average habanero, and it's always bit of a shock, especially since I use weaker peppers more plentifully (and sometimes more directly) than hotter ones...for obvious reasons. So I don't know for sure what that was or what happened, but that unknown pepper was really freaking hot.

3 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

"just" is doing a lot of work here

Let me clarify: I think habaneros are very hot. But...they're not like, in the realm of "this will make you have a seizure or throw up if you try to eat one when you're not that into spicy foods" like something crazy (e.g. a reaper) would, and for someone who eats spicy food pretty much every day, they're hot but they're not going to kill me. So relatively speaking, habaneros aren't that hot, :p.

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Serrano is generally where I draw the line these days, I don't **** with peppers hotter than that. I have eaten hotter peppers in the past, but those are just that, in the past.

I've been eating spicy food since I was a kid because my parents loved spicy food, which is presumably why I'm a bit more resistant both on both tongue and digestive tract levels. However, my stomach still feels like a volcano even though I ate hours ago, so that's not great.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Im cooking steak, eggs and chips for supper...sometimes the simple food works so well together 🍖

• Like 1

John Milton 

Whipped up some bacon wrapped chicken, roasted zucchini, cucumber salad, and avocado. It's pretty good, washed it down with a smoores beer I found on sale, which turned out breddy gud.

I've got some halloumi that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. Not sure if I want to use it in place of a meat or try and add it to something starchy. I'm trying to eat less carbs, but sometimes a man just has to have some potatoes or pasta.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Maybe the Tabiche Pepper or Carolina Cayenne?  I think high-end heats for both would be higher than a low-end Habenero.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Avocado toast with an over easy egg, minced black garlic, diced tomato, shaved parmesan cheese, and a very light drizzle of a balsamic reduction. Judging by how fast my wife wolfed it down I'm going to guess it was edible.

PS my son kept stealing my black garlic. He has a problem.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Making some beef fajitas with some guacamole and roasted vegetables. I hope it turns out good.

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

PS my son kept stealing my black garlic. He has a problem.

I don't blame him tbh.

• Like 2

I go to CostCo once a month or so, because they have more low-carb convenience food options that are maybe, oh, I dunno, 50%-75% less "bad" than most convenience foods, and I'm lazy re: cooking as I'm sure I've said before. Last time I went I noticed these things:

cauliflowerthins-1a.jpg
cauliflowerthins-2.jpg

Hmm, I thought, I'll try a couple packages. When you take them out of the box they're a little spongy/oily feeling, but I tossed a couple into the toaster oven. Take them out, put a slice or two of medium "white" cheddar in the middle, let sit a few minutes and ... GOOD. I was never a huge fan of grilled-cheese sandwiches but for some reason these are better. Not nirvana or anything but yeah ... they became my staple for a quick meal side. eg, one of those as a "cheese sandwich" and a giant bowl of rabbit greens and a little meat of some kind can be lunch. I went back to CostCo and bought 10 boxes (they freeze well).  :shifty:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ordered pizza, the distribution of the pepperoni was not even close to uniform, some slice almost entirely covered and others bare, first time I've seen that

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I go to CostCo once a month or so, because they have more low-carb convenience food options that are maybe, oh, I dunno, 50%-75% less "bad" than most convenience foods, and I'm lazy re: cooking as I'm sure I've said before. Last time I went I noticed these things:

cauliflowerthins-1a.jpg
cauliflowerthins-2.jpg

Hmm, I thought, I'll try a couple packages. When you take them out of the box they're a little spongy/oily feeling, but I tossed a couple into the toaster oven. Take them out, put a slice or two of medium "white" cheddar in the middle, let sit a few minutes and ... GOOD. I was never a huge fan of grilled-cheese sandwiches but for some reason these are better. Not nirvana or anything but yeah ... they became my staple for a quick meal side. eg, one of those as a "cheese sandwich" and a giant bowl of rabbit greens and a little meat of some kind can be lunch. I went back to CostCo and bought 10 boxes (they freeze well).  :shifty:

For those who don't speak Calorie, multiply the figures for Calories by 4.184 to get the Joule equivalent. I.e. 419 and 1464 Joules approx...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

For those who don't speak Calorie, multiply the figures for Calories by 4.184 to get the Joule equivalent. I.e. 419 and 1464 Joules approx...

Well, since you were pedantic, let me up that: It's probably kilocalories and kilojoules, right? I mean otherwise you could eat a literal ton of that stuff per day and still lose weight. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Just now, majestic said:

Well, since you were pedantic, let me up that: It's probably kilocalories and kilojoules, right? I mean otherwise you could eat a literal ton of that stuff per day and still lose weight. :p

It looks like rice crackers. You probably could eat a literal ton of the stuff per day and lose weight 😂

But you're right, it's probably lacking a 'k' in front of it, but looking like US packing, they might have left it out to not confuse people. Too metric maybe?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Colloquially it's just calories, of course, but it's always actually kilocalories. We have both on our packages... and rice crackers hit harder than you might think, being all carbs and all. Include some fat and the suppesedly "healthy" snack clocks in at what, 1600kJ per 100g. Couple of crackers have enough energy in them to bike 12 miles or some such. Great. Might as well eat real food then. :yes:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 hours ago, Gorth said:

It looks like rice crackers.

Flavor and texture wise, they're more like a combination of egg coated french toast (no syrup/sugar, obviously) and cornbread or corn tortilla. Hm, side note, I should try pan-frying them.

They're round, very thin, slightly spongey circles about the same size as a typical cheese slice (except they're not square...) or maybe a street taco shell. The company makes bigger sizes and calls them cauliflower pizza crusts I think.  I already use raw riced cauliflower stir fried with meat and sauces, it's great and I haven't missed rice at all since.

5c02897e-07b5-4732-ab04-d7bf46f9e853.jpg

If you want a calorie/physical amount reference, I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day lately, more or less. If all I did was eat these as is out of the package (no cheese) I'd have to eat 30 or so to reach that. I like them, but not that much.  :shifty:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 10/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, Malcador said:

Ordered pizza, the distribution of the pepperoni was not even close to uniform, some slice almost entirely covered and others bare, first time I've seen that

I hope you sent it back or complained, if you accept that kind of tardy cooking then you end up just unintentionally continuing it because often restaurants dont do this on purpose 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton