Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

23 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Making vegetable gumbo in the crockpot. Will be served later with coffee and cornbread. I love corn bread.

were a young woman we spent some time with when we were in spain and she asked us to make her real american food. still don't know what real american food is, but we did make a decent bowl of red for her. were not easy finding the chilies we thought were essential. made what we thought were an excellent texas red, all things considered. expected wonder and applause.

reaction: meh.

however, while struggling to get our chilies, we also came across corn meal, so we made cornbread too. kinda an afterthought. is a few things europeans call corn bread, but they use corn flour and not corn meal. try and explain corn meal is not corn flour to a spanish grocer in the late 80s/early 90s is more difficult than you might imagine.

as 'posed to the chili, the cornbread were a serious hit. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I really like hot cornbread crumbled in cold whole milk.  Some people like it in buttermilk or sweet milk, and some people think day old cornbread is better in milk than freshly baked, but I've always liked the fresh out of the oven heat in the cornbread fighting with the coolness of the milk, personally.  I usually heat up day-old cornbread if that's what I'm using.  But I can eat it cold.  

And now back up to the hills for me...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

22 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Not a fan, I think I can count on one hand the times Ive said "mmm, good cornbread". It always seems dry to me and I like it moist. How is it intended, dry or moist?

it is, of course, a matter of taste. however, add a tablespoon (or more) of sour cream to your recipe. fiddle with sour cream amounts to get desired moistness. shouldn't noticeable affect flavour.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

it is, of course, a matter of taste. however, add a tablespoon (or more) of sour cream to your recipe. fiddle with sour cream amounts to get desired moistness. shouldn't noticeable affect flavour.

HA! Good Fun!

Exactly! That is the secret ingredient 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Zucchini Bread > Cornbread 

/hides

:ninja:

Is there a way to delete someone else's post?

• Haha 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

am getting the concept behind banana bread. bananas are naturally sweet, so add to cake-like batter is reasonable. if you got a couple bananas which are not necessarily bad but definite in the overripe stage, banana bread is a way to salvage ingredients before they is becoming garbage. banana bread makes sense.

zucchini, on the other hand, is not natural sweet. aren't too many other zucchini desert items. pumpkin is at least a squash with some noteworthy desert utility. why add zucchini to a sweetened batter? if you got zucchini which has become overripe, throw it away. is not as if you save borderline viable zucchini by turning it into a cake. is nothing wrong with zucchini bread, but it is odd.

'course we don't get rhubarb pie neither. theory behind rhubarb pie is if you add enough sugar to even the most bitter and unpleasant o' ingredients, you may end up with something arguable edible. fine. point is proved. is a curious waste o' sugar to prove.

zucchini bread is perfectly ok, but it is a bit weird. perhaps try a nice ratatouille instead?

HA! Good Fun!

ps so is clear am not targeting keyrock on this, and in sprit o' full disclosure, one o' our favorite soups is czernina, if is done well. is another one o' those weird prune recipes (though we ordinary use apple and maybe pear too) we learned many years past... prunes add depth and take the edge off the vinegar and other more curious ingredients.

Edited by Gromnir

28 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I think zucchini bread is just for people that want to eat cake but feel healthy about it. Zucchini makes it sound nutritious.

Nah, that's what carrot cake is for. Trying to make zucchini bread particularly sweet is a mistake IMHO. The whole reason I like it is because it's NOT as sweet, at least the way I make it.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

I think zucchini bread is just for people that want to eat cake but feel healthy about it. Zucchini makes it sound nutritious.

am thinking the zucchini is s'posed to work the way well rinsed sauerkraut does in chocolate cake, or the aforementioned sour cream in corn bread. is less a nutrition thing as it is an old skool way to keep some kinda batter moist while cooking. or at least such were likely the original reason. you are probably right 'bout folks who make zucchini bread today.

HA! Good Fun!

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

If you have a courgette (zucchini) plant in the garden you will make bread etc from it because it'll happily produce up to 2kg a week, for literally months*, and there are a limited amount of things you can do with them- and free is free. Absolutely should be savoury and eaten like actual bread rather than sweet though.

*or alternatively, get mildew inside a few weeks and never recover as happened for some reason this year to no less than 4 plants.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am getting the concept behind banana bread. bananas are naturally sweet, so add to cake-like batter is reasonable. if you got a couple bananas which are not necessarily bad but definite in the overripe stage, banana bread is a way to salvage ingredients before they is becoming garbage. banana bread makes sense.

Banana bread is delicious, we grew up eating it. But its more a desert type of food and not considered savory like zucchini bread which can be served with any meals  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Last night I cooked my famous pork belly, as usual it has become a national " favorite SA dish "

I have to share thing how to eat this type of meat. You must only use Apple Sauce and maybe the dripping sauce if you like that type of gravy. But only Apple sauce and nothing else :thumbsup:

• Hmmm 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lately I've been making mine by sprinkling the bottom with a little five spice powder and rubbing the top with salt and a little pepper. I tend to eat it plain or with ramen but when I serve it to others I usually provide hoisin and garnish with green onion. I'll even occasionally make buns because my son likes it like that.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Lately I've been making mine by sprinkling the bottom with a little five spice powder and rubbing the top with salt and a little pepper. I tend to eat it plain or with ramen but when I serve it to others I usually provide hoisin and garnish with green onion. I'll even occasionally make buns because my son likes it like that.

Actually Hoisin does work and plum sauce, you right. And I cant claim the Chinese arent renowned Pork eaters....they are 8)

John Milton 

26 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Made a Bolognese yesterday and have been enjoying that. 

Do you do just beef or half beef half pork?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Made grilled chicken (not one of mine) and string beans and a slice of watermelon. Simple is good. 

I cooked some gizzards for Sunny. She is finally learning to control herself and take them gently. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

made sloppy joes a few days ago. served on hamburger buns. will be hamburger buns today and tomorrow and possible the next day.  am suspecting if we run out o' buns we will eat sans bread or perhaps on our eggs, and am still gonna have sloppy joe leftovers. 

we don't use green bell pepper in our sloppy joe mix. *gasp* replace with jalapeño.

we always make far too much for one or even two people.  isn't too much o' a problem as we prefer sloppy joes the next day after the meat has genuine absorbed all the sloppy goodness.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Weekend time so its English Breakfast time. Today I am doing eggs, bacon, fried tomato, fried banana, cheese griller pork sausages and toast 🥓

For those that have prudently made their breakfast influencer I know what you thinking ....cheese grillers for breakfast !!!

They work, they really do with eggs and bacon :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Milton