Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

I would eat a pepper encrusted garlic clove. Thankfully, with my job no one would have to smell my breath for most of the day. :lol:

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

...I've had some "Chinese jalapeno chicken" that definitely had too much "pepper."  I'm very tolerant of jalapeno's and some hot sauces but even I was picking half of these out so my insides wouldn't be burning holes re: the amount ingested.  :lol: Black pepper ... generally on a steak or something tho you can crust the whole thing with black pepper or whatever and it's fine.

Red pepper "flakes", jalapeno's are usually what I use - I like them best w/stir frying and soy sauce based sauces, mostly.

Habanero's and the like can just stay out of my kitchen outside of a dash of some sauce maybe.

All this talk of pepper - I now want some "street tacos."

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Apparently our next wave is imminent and since we basically have no vaccines its advisable to not go out soooooo....its the weekend and I am treating myself to a mini-pork belly with mash for dinner 🍗

During this invidious lockdown  I get by on the small pleasures in life....thank goodness for mini-pork belly !!!

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am making my own hashbrowns for breakfast instead of buying frozen ones, its an easy recipe. You just fry sliced uncooked potatoes in oil and butter and then I am going to cook for 10 minutes on  180 Celsius 🥓

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I was just pondering how their cant be a much better gastronomic smell than  bacon, frying in a pan ....and you have that unctuous aroma wafting through the kitchen.....delicious !!!

And some people dont eat bacon....why deny yourself that great treat ?

🥓

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Tried my hand at green curry chicken. I should probably get myself small kitchen scale for weighing stuff. The eggplant didn't feel very heavy in my hand, but it sure was a lot of eggplant once I was done slicing it into little cubes 🤔

It did taste great though. Like the Massaman, I cheated and bought a paste with the spice mix already prepared. It may not be bacon, but curry and coconut milk on the stove isn't bad either when it comes to fragrances 😋

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Tried my hand at green curry chicken. I should probably get myself small kitchen scale for weighing stuff. The eggplant didn't feel very heavy in my hand, but it sure was a lot of eggplant once I was done slicing it into little cubes 🤔

It did taste great though. Like the Massaman, I cheated and bought a paste with the spice mix already prepared. It may not be bacon, but curry and coconut milk on the stove isn't bad either when it comes to fragrances 😋

That is a comforting aroma and you made  a famous and delicious curry, dont be too hard on yourself for not getting the recipe 100 %. I always learn from similar endeavors and then fix it for the next time I cook the dish

Also I am not an instinctive cook meaning I am not good at guessing measurements and quantities and if I dont follow the recipe properly its normally not how I wanted it

So invest in a kitchen scale, I have one and its worth it to avoid having to guess quantity and amounts. And this can make a difference at the end 🍛

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

Crab, shrimp, and corn in spicy garlic butter then some macadamia cookies

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

English Breakfast time, yaaay its  the weekend :thumbsup:

Today Im cooking bacon, eggs, mushrooms , fried banana and toast 🍳

• Like 1

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

Lambs chops with mash potato, man I love Lamb. I fry these chops on very high heat for maybe 2 minutes on each side and make sure the fat is crispy 🥘

Oh I also add a few drops of Worcestershire  sauce to the chops at the end 

I just wish Lamb wasnt so expensive 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

John Milton 

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I just wish Lamb wasnt so expensive 

Have you tried being rich? I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

I've been on a major hummus kick but last night I made some chicken thighs with cream of mushroom soup. It's a cheap recipe my mom used to make for me when I was a kid where you season and pan fry the chicken thighs until the skin crisps up nicely then dump that into a baking pan and pour in the cream of mushroom soup and bake for a bit. I made rice to eat it with but I much prefer generic US white bread like god intended. My son loved it but my wife not so much. She has a thing about pre-made soups and basically anything that comes in a can so this

125010057?$ecom-pdp-desktop$&defaultImag

was never going to be a winner for her.

My son and I broke out the white bread and polished it all off

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I made rice to eat it with but I much prefer generic US white bread like god intended.

Reported for bad taste and heresy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Cambell's Cream of Mushroom - that classic staple of most mothers from a certain generation or three. My mother always seemed to have at least four or five cans of it in the pantry at all times. 

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

our grandma (maternal side) made something she called pittsburgh lasagna. grandma said it were s'posed to include sausage but she used cooked chicken (diced) 'cause that were what she typical had available. remaining ingredients: mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta, 1 egg, a package o' frozen spinach, lasagna noodles, milk and a couple cans o' cream of mushroom soup. the egg, thawed and drained (extreme drained... dry as possible w/o using oven) spinach and ricotta got combined, milk and soup were combined. take a casserole dish and layer some o' the soup+ milk, then noodles, then half o' the spinach and ricotta mixture, then chicken (or sausage), then mozzarella. repeat layers leaving last o' the soup and the parmesan for last layer. 

have no idea what were the measurements. we got a ridiculous good memory, but grandma didn't measure, so...

has been many years since we had that casserole. the (not) lasagna were delicious.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We never really had cream of mushroom soup growing up - my mom didn't like mushrooms and didn't like cream soups.

But we always had Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup on hand. My mom was big believer in the healing powers of Chicken Soup. Thankfully, I liked Chicken Noodle soup.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

We always had Campbell's Cream of Mushroom at my folks and I usually have at least a can or two on hand at my place. Almost never used it to make soup, though.  Most often it got used in making green bean casserole, one of the most delicious dishes on Earth.🤤

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

22 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

We always had Campbell's Cream of Mushroom at my folks and I usually have at least a can or two on hand at my place. Almost never used it to make soup, though.  Most often it got used in making green bean casserole, one of the most delicious dishes on Earth.🤤

But Keyrock  dont Polish people like soup and dont you have one or 2 famous broths ?

I am not sure if you remember but I was friends with several Polish people when I lived in JHB, we even went to that Polish\Afrikaans wedding. My friend who got married, Alicja, use to have dinner parties at her house where she  cooked traditional   Polish food....its was great big portions   and very meaty, some of my favorite things about gastronomy 🥘

• Like 1

John Milton 

Making vegetable gumbo in the crockpot. Will be served later with coffee and cornbread. I love corn bread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Cambell's condensed mushroom soup - like many of their condensed soups - goop-plopped into a bowl with water and just heated up as soup .... is disgusting.  Which is why most people use them as marinades/sauce mixers, not soups.

I've had restaurant mushroom soups (not just creamy ones) that are good - assuming one likes mushroom flavors - but that's a whole different thing.

Edited by LadyCrimson