Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

3 to 5 weeks

Thats a fair amount of time to be away, when I use to work on projects in Africa and the ME I would normally be away for 2 weeks and occasionally 4-5 weeks 

Do you travel to specific states or do you go to all states? Which brings me to my next question, I imagine you have travelled, worked and stayed all over the USA, what have been your favorite states and why did you find them so enjoyable ?

Sorry for all the questions I am just interested in real life views on certain topics I cant really understand through economic reports and analysis or watching TV channels like CNN which dont offer many anecdotal stories which are always an important part of understanding the current realities of citizens actually living in a specific country :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@BruceVCWe operate in all of the lower 48 states, though I wind up on the east coast and in the midwest most often. My favorite state to travel to is Texas; I like the people, I love the food, and it's warm. I love the Smoky Mountains on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee and I plan to move there soon (I live about 3 1/2 hours away right now), but if I didn't, Texas would be my next choice to live, the Waco area to be more specific.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

and it's warm

Not right now 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So, today was Fettisdagen here, so I had myself a semla. And like a gift from heaven, Max Miller who hosts the channel Tasting History made this;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

So, today was Fettisdagen here, so I had myself a semla. And like a gift from heaven, Max Miller who hosts the channel Tasting History made this;

Great video, very funny at times. It looks like a tasty dessert

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 2/13/2021 at 7:38 AM, Keyrock said:

Texas would be my next choice to live,

Maybe we should all move to TX and once a year we can have a Forumite Picnic somewhere, bringing all our fave tasty dishes.  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Maybe we should all move to TX and once a year we can have a Forumite Picnic somewhere, bringing all our fave tasty dishes.  :lol:

I met up with people I talked to and played with on the internet, but that was decades ago. Althoug admittedly that was fun, the internet is way too full of creeps these days. Who says you really are the nice lady you're pretending to be? :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 minute ago, majestic said:

Who says you really are the nice lady you're pretending to be?

All I'll say is that people thinking I'm nice is largely just because I'm an introvert with no desire to waste my time embroiled in conflict, even over the internet.   :shifty:  But I think the only danger I represent is boring something to death.

...I've only met 'net folks a few times (individuals vs. gatherings).  It's never what you expect, but it's always interesting. 

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

21 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I wouldn't trust what some of yall eat.

19 hours ago, majestic said:

I met up with people I talked to and played with on the internet, but that was decades ago. Althoug admittedly that was fun, the internet is way too full of creeps these days. Who says you really are the nice lady you're pretending to be? :p

I just assume everyone is a creep one way or another.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Salmon and couscous last night. I made my wife's piece with my homemade jerk seasoning and mango salsa and for my son and myself I made it with a lemon mustard sauce with dill and capers.  My son loves lemon and has been asking for fish but then when I made it he barely ate it and instead devoured almost all the couscous.

• Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I met my stepmom and her friend for dinner earlier and I had Steak Tartare as my main meal. Its hard to imagine until you have tried it but raw meat can be delicious 🍲

• Like 3

John Milton 

On 2/24/2021 at 12:32 PM, BruceVC said:

I met my stepmom and her friend for dinner earlier and I had Steak Tartare as my main meal. Its hard to imagine until you have tried it but raw meat can be delicious 🍲

With or without raw egg yolk? I always get it with egg yolk. It's one of my absolute favorite dishes.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

22 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

With or without raw egg yolk? I always get it with egg yolk. It's one of my absolute favorite dishes.

No egg yolk, it had the raw meat and other ingredients but no egg. I think every Steak Tartare should offer the raw egg but this restaurant sadly  didnt 

I remember about 15 years was the first time I had Steak Tartare, the global software company I was working for  had some highly skilled banking software consultants from Luxembourg come to SA to train us on a product. On the Friday night afterwards we took them to a very famous JHB restaurant called the Butcher Shop which offered the full Tartare with egg  and all the accompaniments 

I had no idea how the egg was suppose to be mixed in  with everything else and the one guy offered to do it for me  because they from the French side of Luxembourg and eat meals like Tartare regularly. It was a delicious experience and I have never looked back 🍻

The Butcher Shop is still hugely popular, here is the website and they still have Steak Tartare on the menu 🍖

https://www.thebutchershop.co.za/index.php

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

John Milton 

There's a barbecue joint across the street ftom the truck stop I'm at in Illinois.

rrKJe8h.jpg

I wasn't thrilled by their cole slaw but the potato salad was good and the brisket was great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

That is Cole Soup, not slaw. But yeah, that brisket looks great!

midwestern cole slaw tends to be heavy on the mayo... and sugar. if the slaw sits for even a little bit of time, the water from the cabbage makes the mixture a bit wet. not our preference, but is kinda what we would expect from heartland slaw.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Made mushroom and parmesan scrambled eggs with toast. My wife loved it and my son just tolerated it. I didn't try it. I'm not usually hungry in the mornings.

What a great combination, very few lovers of food would not enjoy that type of meal because everything compliments  each other. Nice  tasty vegetarian choice for people 

This brings me to an interesting question I want to ask everyone. The question being do you believe in eating the whole animal? So for example a pig is not just a sources of bacon, ribs and chops but everything can and should be eaten like the snout, ears, head and organs like the heart and tripe 

As I have mentioned before I am a huge fan of Andrew Zimmerman's cooking shows like Delicious Destinations. In some of the shows he travels and eats in numerous Central America countries and the vast depth of food and cuisine is amazing

He goes to this massive food markets where people eat openly delicious but not mainstream food like heart, brain and other offcuts 

I would eat all that food with the exception of insects and brain but you  wont find this large scale  interest in most of our countries

If I am not mistaken you or your family are from Central America so were you exposed to eating offcuts at an early age and do you still appreciate offcuts ?

I only started eating offcuts in 2000 when I moved to JHB so I come from the opposite side of the spectrum, I was never expose to them but I forced myself to start eating and ordering unusual food choices and I can guarantee anyone who avoids these unusual food they are very tasty and often offer a unique but rewarding taste reward 

But I cannot convince most of my family or friends to go outside their safe choices for food like rump steak instead of steak tartare or a hearty bowl of tripe or other organs that is delicious 

So its an ongoing campaign to find people who enjoy and appreciate the whole animal for me 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Couscous flavored with Chicken Stock and some beef stir-fry added in ....simple but tasty 🍲

• Like 2

John Milton 

Fried catfish with butter beans and coffee

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I love using Jerusalem artichokes instead of potatoes sometimes. Last weekend I made a puree of some, as well as chips from what remained. Worked like a charm alongside duck breast and a red wine sauce. Doesn't look very delicate, and I should've reduced the sauce some more, but it tasted good!

124.jpg

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, BruceVC said:

This brings me to an interesting question I want to ask everyone. The question being do you believe in eating the whole animal? So for example a pig is not just a sources of bacon, ribs and chops but everything can and should be eaten like the snout, ears, head and organs like the heart and tripe 

I find that it varies greatly by region and culture as I grew up with a lot of traditional black and southern offal as well as some from Mexico. I don't doubt that most if not all the animal gets used in one way or another even if all of it is not consumed by humans. 

• Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm visiting my parents. We went to a sushi restaurant. Everything was good but the star of the show was the unagi temaki (eel hand roll). It was spectacular. I didn't even use any sauce with it, it was perfect without anything added.

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸