Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

19 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

She thought it was going to be some kind of meat filled dough instead of what it actually is.

Thanks for reminding me about Cottage Pie, its a great meal when you single because you can keep it for 2-3 days afterwards for other meals  because there is so  much left over 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Some variation of a cottage pie. Wife was disappointed there was no dough.

maybe make her beef wellington as an apology? to our mind, every beef wellington recipe is requiring the waste o' a perfect good tenderloin, but some folks like it.

am gonna admit our rate o' pie crust fail is a smidge worse than 20%.  might be the reason we prefer cottage, sheperd or even tamale pie as 'posed to something like chicken pot pie. in fact, whenever we get a hankering for chicken pot pie we just end up making chicken and dumplings.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

maybe make her beef wellington as an apology? to our mind, every beef wellington recipe is requiring the waste o' a perfect good tenderloin, but some folks like it.

It is. You can reduce the waste by simply using pork instead. Still a tad on the wastey side, just not as much. Doesn't taste like beef either then, but hey... at least you're not commiting a criminal offense against beef. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

20 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

She loves my beef wellington, euphemism not intended

But appreciated nonetheless. :brows:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

16 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Mississippi pot roast hand pies to make up for the lack of dough last time.

Did I mention I love proper  pie that you cook but I am not good at it so I avoid it

What do you put in the pot roast pie, I love meat pies that have exotics meat 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nothing exotic, not really my jam, but here is a basic recipe. Mine has a few tweaks because I always like to experiment. Cook it then wrap it in dough and bake it. I also put a half a slice of provolone because my lactose intolerance demands tribute.

https://www.southernliving.com/dish/classic-mississippi-roast

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

39 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Nothing exotic, not really my jam, but here is a basic recipe. Mine has a few tweaks because I always like to experiment. Cook it then wrap it in dough and bake it. I also put a half a slice of provolone because my lactose intolerance demands tribute.

You should getting into cooking and training as a chef, you have an aptitude for it and I think you are much better cook than you appear 

This virus has ravaged our economies and you have no idea how bad it is in SA. Anyway you mentioned you were retrenched recently. 

No one enjoys being retrenched and when I took voluntary retrenchment in 2019  I felt anxious, insecure and uncertain because I never  been retrenched before  and it created for me some mental issues based on the fact I kept feeling like a failure ...because I wasnt working and felt like a failure 

But  the good news I got paid out my full bonus because my business unit made its target and they paid me a huge retrenchment package so I had lots of extra money. But I also needed a job and then I found out my dad has a form of Alzheimer's and he suggested I move to Cpt to reconnect with my family. Which suddenly made sense so the retrenchment was a good thing as I made a move to Cpt 

But it took 6 months 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

44 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Oh my hat that looks so nice, I am going to make it as the recipe looks fine  .....I cant wait 

:thumbsup:

John Milton 

Due to the current "second wave " we going through in SA we are not eating out so Im back to cooking in most of the time which is fine because I enjoy cooking and I find it therapeutic 

I made some great mince on Friday and I always freeze the  extra mince as  its so versatile for other meals

And tonight I am treating myself to a....Cheese Fondue, I have this fondue recipe food written in 1970 which has about 50 different fondue recipes so I am never at a loss for a different type of choice, it always involves cheese of course 🧀

https://www.amazon.com/Fondue-Cookery-Alison-Burt/dp/B002BQP9MU

• Like 1

John Milton 

Had something that might elicit a slight WTF reaction from the boardies here... kinda similar to the idea that you'd boil beef in stock to eat it, instead of boiling it in water to make stock (heh). Behold:

QMUBqKB.jpg

Ribs with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and mustard with onions and peppers. The ribs were cured and smoked at a lower temperature, and then instead of grilling them or throwing them in the oven you simply simmer them in water (or, ideally, in the leftover water from the last time you simmered cured and smoked meat) until they're soft.

And yeah, it tastes much better than it sounds... or looks. Really. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

22 minutes ago, majestic said:

Had something that might elicit a slight WTF reaction from the boardies here... kinda similar to the idea that you'd boil beef in stock to eat it, instead of boiling it in water to make stock (heh). Behold:

QMUBqKB.jpg

Ribs with sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and mustard with onions and peppers. The ribs were cured and smoked at a lower temperature, and then instead of grilling them or throwing them in the oven you simply simmer them in water (or, ideally, in the leftover water from the last time you simmered cured and smoked meat) until they're soft.

And yeah, it tastes much better than it sounds... or looks. Really. :)

Nice, so obviously no chargrill but very tender?

John Milton 

• 4 weeks later...

made a late breakfast. guess it kinda looked like eggs benedict, but not. prepared a béchamel with cheddar, manchego and half-and-half 'cause we looked in the refrigerator and those items spoke to us. we have good bacon so we cooked up three thick cut pieces. drained off most o' the bacon grease and then fried two eggs using these little egg ring thingies which had been gifted to us some time past but we had never bothered to use. toasted an english muffin and buttered... am not certain why we buttered the muffin other than some weird reflex. unnecessary. anywho, we placed a piece o' bacon (well, two halves o' a piece) on each muffin half and then added a fried egg which were nice and crispy from the bacon grease. topped off our muffin, bacon and egg stacks with something 'tween a drizzle and a pour o' our béchamel. closer to a pour if am being honest.

after tasting we decided it needed some pepper. 

for those paying particular close attention, there is an unaccounted piece o' bacon. am knowing it ain't the most healthy food for dogs, but is no way possible for Gromnir to cook bacon w/o providing the dogs with a taste. as the bacon sizzles in the pan, the pooches stare at us, drooling and hopeful. hard stares. pleading stares.  third piece o' bacon were to keep the dogs from shanking us in our sleep if we didn't give 'em a bit.

food was ok. dogs thought it were excellent and are no doubt looking forward to us making in the future. however, the dogs eat deer p00p and rotting animal carcasses with gusto if they get the opportunity to partake, so their gastronomical insights is ordinarily ignored.

side benefit: our house smells like bacon.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

made a late breakfast. guess it kinda looked like eggs benedict, but not. prepared a béchamel with cheddar, manchego and half-and-half 'cause we looked in the refrigerator and those items spoke to us. we have good bacon so we cooked up three thick cut pieces. drained off most o' the bacon grease and then fried two eggs using these little egg ring thingies which had been gifted to us some time past but we had never bothered to use. toasted an english muffin and buttered... am not certain why we buttered the muffin other than some weird reflex. unnecessary. anywho, we placed a piece o' bacon (well, two halves o' a piece) on each muffin half and then added a fried egg which were nice and crispy from the bacon grease. topped off our muffin, bacon and egg stacks with something 'tween a drizzle and a pour o' our béchamel. closer to a pour if am being honest.

after tasting we decided it needed some pepper. 

for those paying particular close attention, there is an unaccounted piece o' bacon. am knowing it ain't the most healthy food for dogs, but is no way possible for Gromnir to cook bacon w/o providing the dogs with a taste. as the bacon sizzles in the pan, the pooches stare at us, drooling and hopeful. hard stares. pleading stares.  third piece o' bacon were to keep the dogs from shanking us in our sleep if we didn't give 'em a bit.

food was ok. dogs thought it were excellent and are no doubt looking forward to us making in the future. however, the dogs eat deer p00p and rotting animal carcasses with gusto if they get the opportunity to partake, so their gastronomical insights is ordinarily ignored.

side benefit: our house smells like bacon.

HA! Good Fun!

Why do you think bacon is bad for dogs, its meat and dogs love meat? Gromnir dont let these far left California  liberals convince you that meat is bad for dogs.....next thing you will see a Vegan movement for dogs and people like Hurlshot will be suggesting its a human rights issue if you feed your dog meat :teehee:

John Milton 

On 1/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, BruceVC said:

Nice, so obviously no chargrill but very tender?

Tender and juicy. Any direct application of a lot of heat is unecessary because the taste is enhanced by it being cured and smoked. You don't even want the water to boil, just to simmer along a bit. Like you would for sausages, just... a lot longer, obviousy. Unless you want to use some sort of pressure cooking pot. It comes out better if done slowly, but while there's a difference there's nothing inherently wrong with using a pressure cooker.

Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference. :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

Tender and juicy. Any direct application of a lot of heat is unecessary because the taste is enhanced by it being cured and smoked. You don't even want the water to boil, just to simmer along a bit. Like you would for sausages, just... a lot longer, obviousy. Unless you want to use some sort of pressure cooking pot. It comes out better if done slowly, but while there's a difference there's nothing inherently wrong with using a pressure cooker.

Great cooking tips, keep them coming 🍗

John Milton 

22 minutes ago, majestic said:

What kind of ribs are they? I don't really cook most ribs with any method other than smoking but I could see shortribs taking to being smoked and simmered instead of braised.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

36 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

What kind of ribs are they?

Cured and warm smoked spare ribs. Regular spare ribs, not baby back or St. Louis cuts, that were specifically made to simmer in hot water until soft (45+ minutes), they're not edible without further heating.

I'm not sure how that would come out if you used short ribs, eating beef ribs isn't very common here, but I'm also not exactly sure if you can get these ribs in your area - or in the US at all. Could be, Germans got something similar they call Kassler, but like everything that's related to food and Germany it's... yeah, well, it's like German beer. Everyone thinks its good for some reason, but it isn't, or at least it's better in other parts of Central Europe. :p 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I am treating myself to another mini-Pork Belly.....the pandemic and lockdown has made get really excited about things and food experiences that I use to just enjoy but I took  for granted as " they will always be available "

Sometimes in  life  the small, seemingly inconsequential , things  matter 🍲

• Like 1

John Milton 

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Cured and warm smoked spare ribs. Regular spare ribs, not baby back or St. Louis cuts, that were specifically made to simmer in hot water until soft (45+ minutes), they're not edible without further heating.

I'm not sure how that would come out if you used short ribs, eating beef ribs isn't very common here, but I'm also not exactly sure if you can get these ribs in your area - or in the US at all. Could be, Germans got something similar they call Kassler, but like everything that's related to food and Germany it's... yeah, well, it's like German beer. Everyone thinks its good for some reason, but it isn't, or at least it's better in other parts of Central Europe. :p 

Kassler Rib is great, I eat it with Pineapple and because its smoked its quick to prepare and eat :thumbsup:

John Milton 

I made a big batch of my world country state county town household famous chili to take on the road with me. Chili is perfect for this situation since it's 99% as good nuked as when first cooked, it keeps in the (mini) fridge for a good while, and it's great in cold weather. I'm currently in Wisconsin and headed for Minnesota tomorrow, so that last part very much applies. I really nailed the spiciness this time around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

We're getting hit with an ARTIC BLAST so I stocked up on stuff to bake and hot food. My fiance is now eating ice cream and drinking tequila because "**** it" and that actually is a good idea.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I made a big batch of my world country state county town household famous chili to take on the road with me. Chili is perfect for this situation since it's 99% as good nuked as when first cooked, it keeps in the (mini) fridge for a good while, and it's great in cold weather. I'm currently in Wisconsin and headed for Minnesota tomorrow, so that last part very much applies. I really nailed the spiciness this time around.

Good thinking :thumbsup:  Your chili idea reminds me of how I sometimes make food, like mince bolognaise , that I can keep for later and is versatile with  many other meals  and can be preserved

I imagine when you on the road its easy to just eat take-aways, which I am sure is normal, but by making your own Chili  its healthier but also tastier. How long do you typically go on trips for when you away from home ?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton