Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Oooh, that picture makes me hungry for Shephard's Pie.

gonna admit +80% o' the time we consider making shepherd's pie, we end up making cottage pie. we use yukon gold instead o' russet and am perhaps a bit heavy-handed on the worcestershire pour. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

22 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Do you eat the pumpkin as well? I would think the skin would not be enjoyable, but I don't see pumpkin served like this often.

Indeed, it was liberally seasoned with a mediterranean salt and spice mixture, and generally you're right, pumpkin skins are too tough to eat but that's the nice part about Hokkaido pumpkins. The skin is really soft and edible, making it ideal to take the pumpkins, cut the top off, hollow them out and stuff them to your liking. :)

Or use them for whatever else you want. No need to peel. Every now and then we just cut them into slices, salt them, add some olive oil and roast them until they're soft (you can add other herbs if you want: thyme, rosemary, oregano, majoram... whatever floats your fancy, really).

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I made tacos

It's Tuesday somewhere :ermm:

I've never been a proponent of Taco Tuesday. As far as I'm concerned, every day is a good day for tacos. 🌮

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If you go in a Chinese take out joint and don't see a single Asian face.... don't order. The place in Millington used spaghetti noodles for lo mien. Not joking

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

Rump steak last night with potatoes and a blue cheese sauce, it was delicious 🥩

I have worked out the best way to cook a thick steak if you dont have  a grill because I always prefer grilling and barbequing  meat over a fire but we only allowed gas cookers in the flats I stay in 

You seal the steak on the outside in a hot frying pan and then cook the meat in an oven at about 180 Celsius for 20 minutes. It works well and cooks the steak consistently without burning it than can occur in  a frying pan  

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

This may be blasphemous, but I kinda prefer frying pan steak to grilled steak. :blush:

Right on, burnt to a crisp on the outside and bloody rare on the inside. Can't get any better than that.

Plus, to get even more blasphemous... you do have the basis for nice gravy in that frying pan. Yep. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

You guys probably use ketchup on them too. :p 

Nah, mustard and sour cream (for the side of potatoes/fries). *blasphemes on*

19 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I almost never use catsup (I just wanted to spell it the other way), not even on hotdogs or fries. Hotdogs get mustard or chili & cheese, fries get salt & pepper.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love a good bark on a rare to medium-rare steak (depending on thickness)

Ever since I was old enough to order my own steaks not well done, because most of my family is weird about meat that still has any moisture left in it, I've found that I almost never need any kind of sauce. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

^  That's why I like electric ovens (gas ranges are fine).  Broiling a steak a few inches away from the heat element coil makes a tasty steak in no time (flip it over once or twice). 

...but maybe some gas ovens have this kind of capability these days, I have no idea. Although I think I'd still prefer the way the coil caramelizes fat/meat vs. gas oven flame, if gas BBQ's are any indication (there's this gas flavor...).  I'd like a gas-range/electric oven combo some day - but they're pretty expensive, whether in a "single unit" or installed separately, and it's not a priority. :)

...never liked pan-fried steak.  Except maybe when camping and it's over a fire in a cast iron pan, and because everything is better when you're utterly starving camping.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 hours ago, majestic said:

Right on, burnt to a crisp on the outside and bloody rare on the inside. Can't get any better than that.

Plus, to get even more blasphemous... you do have the basis for nice gravy in that frying pan. Yep. :yes:

13 hours ago, Keyrock said:

This may be blasphemous, but I kinda prefer frying pan steak to grilled steak. :blush:

Just to clarify, the sealing of the meat means you can achieve a chargrilled outside ...more or less 

But yes the oven cooking means it wont be very rare. I dont grill meat in the oven but cook it for a period of time and you can achieve very rare in the oven, you just keep in for maybe 5-7  minutes,  but then I would just a frying pan to achieve that result 

12 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Oh yes I love my steak sauces but they must be really complimentary like cheese, mushroom or cheese whizz

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So I was buying some (shelled) walnuts for the squirrels and realized that in all my life, in the common stores around where I live, I have never seen bags of "salted" walnuts. They are always raw or still in the shell.  Not including candied/baked in goods versions, I mean.  Peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, seeds, others - all have many roasted and salted (and flavored) types in cans and bags as well as raw. But not walnuts. I mean, I've never looked very hard for such, mind, but offhand never see them sitting next to all the other wal/nuts in stores.

I looked online and apparently there are "roasted and lightly salted" walnuts ... now I must order some to find out what they taste like.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

welsh rarebit

for all intents and purposes, were nothing more than a grilled cheese sandwich but with welsh rarebit am able to extra load the cheese. am gonna embrace any excuse for more cheese in a recipe.

we oven toasted thick cut sourdough making sure both sides were toasted. ordinarily we use rye bread, but we did not have rye bread and we were not gonna make rye bread.

is not traditional, but we were throwing on a slice o' tomato for each piece o' bread. 'cause.

too bad we do not drink, 'cause this woulda' been perfect with guinness as were a fair amount o' guinness in the cheese sauce.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

30 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

welsh rarebit

for all intents and purposes, were nothing more than a grilled cheese sandwich but with welsh rarebit am able to extra load the cheese. am gonna embrace any excuse for more cheese in a recipe.

we oven toasted thick cut sourdough making sure both sides were toasted. ordinarily we use rye bread, but we did not have rye bread and we were not gonna make rye bread.

is not traditional, but we were throwing on a slice o' tomato for each piece o' bread. 'cause.

too bad we do not drink, 'cause this woulda' been perfect with guinness as were a fair amount o' guinness in the cheese sauce.

HA! Good Fun!

Absolutely love Welsh Rarebit but you cannot call it that if you dont stick to the traditional recipe and there is a proper recipe 

So what you made was " Gromnirs Welsh Rarebit"  not " Welsh Rarebit "  ;) And a good brown beer does add to the overall taste but its not mandatory 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/164787/real-welsh-rarebit/

John Milton 

43 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Some variation of a cottage pie. Wife was disappointed there was no dough.

Interesting, I never knew cottage pie had dough but rather mash ? What was the substitute you used for mash potato ?

John Milton