Cyberpunk 2077

ShadySands

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

But the important thing is that the PC version worked fairly well. ;)

As written in the holy text:

Render unto peasants the things which are peasants'...

Or, uhm, something like that, anyway.

If it weren't bad for CDPR and therefore also really bad for GOG I wouldn't stop grinning at the irony of a single bad console port having all the peasants up in arms demanding refunds and pulling out the pitchforks.

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:54 AM, Lexx said:

This is a really dumb roadmap. Like ... lol.

Well, it is for console users... 😛

14 hours ago, majestic said:

If it weren't bad for CDPR and therefore also really bad for GOG I wouldn't stop grinning at the irony of a single bad console port having all the peasants up in arms demanding refunds and pulling out the pitchforks.

And not remembering the other times they've had games run like **** on their old hardware...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 hours ago, majestic said:

As written in the holy text:

Render unto peasants the things which are peasants'...

Or, uhm, something like that, anyway.

Does show how feeble the PC master race is if their raging accomplished little 😛

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Well, it's paywalled, so guess I'll never know...

For a few selected sections then...

Interviews with more than 20 current and former CD Projekt staff, most of whom requested anonymity so as not to risk their careers, depict a development process marred by unchecked ambition, poor planning and technical shortcomings. Employees, discussing the game’s creation for the first time, described a company that focused on marketing at the expense of development, and an unrealistic timeline that pressured some into working extensive overtime long before the final push. CD Projekt declined to comment on the process or provide interviews for this story

Another indication of how CD Projekt stretched things too far was that it tried to develop the engine technology behind Cyberpunk 2077, most of which was brand new, simultaneously with the game, which slowed down production. One member of the team compared the process to trying to drive a train while the tracks are being laid in front of you at the same time. It might have gone more smoothly if the track-layers had a few months head start.
Adrian Jakubiak, a former audio programmer for CD Projekt, said one of his colleagues asked during a meeting how the company thought it would be able to pull off a technically more challenging project in the same timeframe as The Witcher. “Someone answered: ‘We'll figure it out along the way,’” he said.

Studio head Adam Badowski took over as director, demanding overhauls to Cyberpunk’s gameplay and story. For the next year, everything was changing, including fundamental elements like the game-play perspective. Top staff who had worked on The Witcher 3 had strong opinions on how Cyberpunk should be made, which clashed with Badowski and lead to the eventual departure of several top developers.

Much of CD Projekt’s focus, according to several people who worked on Cyberpunk 2077, was on impressing the outside world. A slice of gameplay was showcased at E3, the industry’s main trade event, in 2018. It showed the main character embarking on a mission, giving players a grand tour of the seedy, crime-ridden Night City.

Fans and journalists were wowed by Cyberpunk 2077’s ambition and scale. What they didn’t know was that the demo was almost entirely fake. CD Projekt hadn’t yet finalized and coded the underlying gameplay systems, which is why so many features, such as car ambushes, were missing from the final product. Developers said they felt like the demo was a waste of months that should have gone toward making the game.

There were also cultural barriers brought about by hiring expats from the U.S. and Western Europe. The studio mandated everyone speak English during meetings with non-Polish speakers, but not everyone followed the rules.

Some engineers realized that Cyberpunk was too complex of a game to run well on the seven-year-old consoles, with its city full of bustling crowds and hulking buildings. They said management dismissed their concerns, however, citing their success in pulling off The Witcher 3.

Iwiński also said that communication issues resulting from teams working at home amid Covid-19 restrictions meant “a lot of the dynamics we normally take for granted” got lost over video calls or emails. The game’s debut slipped again, to November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, marelooke said:

Well, it's paywalled, so guess I'll never know...

Dont worry my friend, here is the most important part of the article 

The Polish company will spend the next few months working on fixes to Cyberpunk 2077 instead of planning expansions to the game or getting started on the next installment of its other popular franchise, The Witcher. The first new update will be released toward the end of January and a second “in the weeks after,” Iwiński said.

It looks like they will be working on another Witcher ...maybe Witcher 4 ? That is fantastic news :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

It looks like they will be working on another Witcher ...maybe Witcher 4 ? That is fantastic news :thumbsup:

This had already been revealed. CDPR had said they plan to move into full development of the next Witcher game soon after CP2077 was released. But also that the game will not be Witcher 4 because Witcher was always meant to be a trilogy and that Geralt's story is over. But seems now development start for the next "Witcher" game is going to be delayed. :(

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

This had already been revealed. CDPR had said they plan to move into full development of the next Witcher game soon after CP2077 was released. But also that the game will not be Witcher 4 because Witcher was always meant to be a trilogy and that Geralt's story is over. But seems now development start for the next "Witcher" game is going to be delayed. :(

Interesting, did they mention who the protagonist would be in the next Witcher ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Probably 90% of the stuff in that article had already been revealed. They'll be working pre development on WitcherTNG already much as C2077 had a lot of pre dev work done on it before entering full development in 2016...

...to be fair to Schreier though, while things like C2077 only entering full development in 2016 isn't a revelation, that fact was hidden away on an obscure site called, I think, 'wikipedia' (sp?) since like 2017, so it isn't surprising he thought it was news. He's also incorrect on a couple of matters of fact, eg since Raithe quoted it:

which is why so many features, such as car ambushes, were missing from the final product.

there are car ambushes, just not many. End of the day almost every single thing written was either known previous andor is (in many cases sadly) standard industry practice. It's only news because it's CDPR doing it, in particular, the complaints about crunch could be leveled at a lot more developers including some that are journalistic darlings.

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Interesting, did they mention who the protagonist would be in the next Witcher ?

Nope. They may well have not even made a final decision yet.

(The rumours were that Ciri, younger 'Vesemir' or near-conjunction create-your-own were being considered. Ciri is a bad idea for various reasons such as requiring 'artificial' depowering but would allow use of popular known characters, 'Vesemir' would be a compromise using a known character somewhat connected to the prior games but set earlier with more flexibility than Ciri, and the last option has far and away the most flexibility but little to no connection to the previous games. Very outside chance: proper TV/ book series tie in)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

there are car ambushes, just not many. End of the day almost every single thing written was either known previous andor is (in many cases sadly) standard industry practice. It's only news because it's CDPR doing it, in particular, the complaints about crunch could be leveled at a lot more developers including some that are journalistic darlings.

The car ambushes in game are scripted sequences, and there's like, 3 of them in total. This is slightly different from the talk about them happening in response to actions you carry out in the open world, and not being quite as "on rails" as the ones that do exist are.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

23 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What @Zoraptor said. Ciri was even brought up by one of the main guys working on the franchise on social media trying to gauge people's reactions. His big selling point was that with Ciri's special ability, you can have the game jump from world to world thereby making the game open universe. Don't know about the rest of you, but I would hate that. Hope someone smacked some sense into that guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

What @Zoraptor said. Ciri was even brought up by one of the main guys working on the franchise on social media trying to gauge people's reactions. His big selling point was that with Ciri's special ability, you can have the game jump from world to world thereby making the game open universe. Don't know about the rest of you, but I would hate that. Hope someone smacked some sense into that guy.

Well I hope we get a choice to play a male Witcher, I enjoyed playing  Ciri but I always prefer RP a male because I can identify with that gender 

John Milton 

https://www.pcgamer.com/yes-cyberpunk-2077-has-something-to-say/

Here is a more positive view of the game, Im not sure how true it is ?

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

I don't get why everyone likes Ciri so much. Found her super boring in the books and hated all the parts with her in the games.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I can see why some developers would want to use her. They can then use all the established characters of the series that a lot of people have grown attached to, have continuity with the previous games, plus it will be [future year] and it's CDPR so you know a set male protagonist is going to get extensive negative press; and under the canon there aren't female witchers until Ciri. Ciri as Witcher ending was pretty clear sequel bait too. Gameplay wise while in theory she should be ludicrously overpowered to take on nekkers or drowners you can just ignore that and give her whatever powers you want including more outright 'magic' than witcher signs, all with a lot more flexibility than a standard Witcher.

Not really sure how much she was liked by most players, her gameplay sections are the most extensively criticised part of Witcher 3 by some way so far as I can tell and Geralt's tardiness in finding her the longest running joke except for Gwent obsession. The former is a bit of a running theme, considering how badly received the bits of Witcher 2 were where you played Roche/ Iorveth or that Kaedweni general. And I'd have to say, when it comes to characters being inexplicably liked I'd have to go with Yennefer; not sure how people think obsessive psychopathy make for likeability.

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I can see why some developers would want to use her. They can then use all When it comes to characters being inexplicably liked I'd have to go with Yennefer; not sure how people think obsessive psychopathy make for likeability.

She is awful.  It was so inexplicable I had to read the books to try and justify choosing her aside from her being hot.  All the books did was make me dislike Trish...

I started with witcher 3... Hated not knowing the characters back story... So I played witcher 1 and 2... Realized I still had no idea who anyone was...  Tried to read the books, realized a couple books in that I just don't like the witcher universe.  Everyone is unlikable IMO.  Geralt claims the queen ladies first child... Then they have a child and he's like "naaah I don't actually care about that kid you can keep her... Because I don't believe in destiny". Then why claim the kid in the first place?

I've never spent so much time trying to get into a story before.

Still haven't finished witcher 3.  I wouldn't say it's bad, just a way too much work to catch up to the lore... And the books aren't very good in my opinion. 

Edited by Theonlygarby

I also agree that Ciri is a rather boring character, but at the same time I also thing CDPR will be under a lot of pressure to go with a female protagonist. But I don't see how they keep all TW3 fans happy given the multiple possible endings for Ciri in that game.

Spoiler

In my playthroughs she always ends up the new empress.