Cyberpunk 2077

ShadySands

Heh, I think we talked about that one earlier. :p

GTA V is excellent. It is amazing what Rockstar has done with these open world action games. The growth from GTA3 to 5 is also remarkable. But having great driving and physics is what defines the GTA series. That and the crime boss storyline. The two games don't really benefit from any type of comparison. Cyberpunk was designed with some similar goals, but it is still an RPG first. It is focused on character development and conversation trees. It does that really well. It also has some pretty amazing attention to detail when it comes to atmospheric storytelling. Those are the strengths of the developers, and the game plays to them. Just like Rockstar plays to their strengths in GTA.

So yeah, I'm happy to live in a world where both of these types of games exist. Tearing one down for not being the other seems like a dumb idea if you like good games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I had a motorcycle accident in Cyberpunk 2077 that left me flying through the air for almost a minute, with a crash so hard it killed me instantly (well, duh). I immediately texted a friend of mine saying that CP reminded me of Stunts (aka 4D Sports Driving). Then we talked a bit about the good old times.

Today I fell through the world exiting a car after it rolled over. Hilarious.

If you care about driving mechanics and physics and you bought Cyberpunk 2077 then you're in luck, I have this bridge here I want to sell you. Slightly used. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Heh, I think we talked about that one earlier. :p

GTA V is excellent. It is amazing what Rockstar has done with these open world action games. The growth from GTA3 to 5 is also remarkable. But having great driving and physics is what defines the GTA series. That and the crime boss storyline. The two games don't really benefit from any type of comparison. Cyberpunk was designed with some similar goals, but it is still an RPG first. It is focused on character development and conversation trees. It does that really well. It also has some pretty amazing attention to detail when it comes to atmospheric storytelling. Those are the strengths of the developers, and the game plays to them. Just like Rockstar plays to their strengths in GTA.

So yeah, I'm happy to live in a world where both of these types of games exist. Tearing one down for not being the other seems like a dumb idea if you like good games. 

I disagree. If you are going for the 'open-world' option then you gotta make sure that the car you are driving is realistic enough that its windows break if you hit em with a baseball bat...unless it's the Tesla truck. :p

What good is an open-world rpg if the said world feels like a cardboard box?

Remember the random encounters in Fallout? It was a reminder that not every journey is safe. Even though dialogue trees were an essential part of Fallout, the world itself felt interactive and real. Hell, in Fallout 2 your car could get stolen, you could also fill the trunk with all sorts of stuff and there was a whole quest based around it. Was Fallout 2 about car realism and physics? No, but it had enough attention to detail that it stood out.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

3 hours ago, Katphood said:

I disagree. If you are going for the 'open-world' option then you gotta make sure that the car you are driving is realistic enough that its windows break if you hit em with a baseball bat...unless it's the Tesla truck. :p

What good is an open-world rpg if the said world feels like a cardboard box?

Remember the random encounters in Fallout? It was a reminder that not every journey is safe. Even though dialogue trees were an essential part of Fallout, the world itself felt interactive and real. Hell, in Fallout 2 your car could get stolen, you could also fill the trunk with all sorts of stuff and there was a whole quest based around it. Was Fallout 2 about car realism and physics? No, but it had enough attention to detail that it stood out.

Swinging a baseball bat at a car and having it deform and breaking two windows as one is extremely believable, just as believable as your car even going over a "fattie" at all. Waterphysics they definetly have left out though.

I'm just a "little" bit annoyed at people comparing CP77 to GTA V. First of all, the GTA V RAGE engine is 15 years old and has been improved and worked upon since then. They've made GTA IV, Midnight Club racing game, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3 and GTA V on it. So they've got several different teams developing different games for the engine, so they have been able to draw lessons, if not damn well copy, the works of the other studios. Having good vehicle handling in a game that is developed along side with a racing game is no wonder.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Today I fell through the world exiting a car after it rolled over. Hilarious.

How come I have not had any of these great oopsies?  I want hilarity too ... I suppose it might help if I actually drove more (not to mention played more).   :shifty:  I'm still a prefer traveling on-foot type.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Swinging a baseball bat at a car and having it deform and breaking two windows as one is extremely believable, 

It's possible. I am from a less developed third-world country called Iran so I am well capable of doing something like that. 

1 hour ago, Katphood said:

It's possible. I am from a less developed third-world country called Iran so I am well capable of doing something like that. 

I've worked in scrapyards, and you won't budge a B pillar an inch with a bat. They're the one of the main supports if the car rolls over, and can maintain the cars weight. 

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

How come I have not had any of these great oopsies?  I want hilarity too ... I suppose it might help if I actually drove more (not to mention played more).   :shifty:  I'm still a prefer traveling on-foot type.

Get on a bike, drive at full speed towards a flat obstacle, then shortly before you hit it do a hard left or right and press the space bar. That'll slide you onto the obstacle and ideally catapult you high in the sky.

Falling through the floor is a bit trickier, but you can try in the scrapyards outside the city, it's easy to make your car roll over on all the trash. Heh. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've worked in scrapyards, and you won't budge a B pillar an inch with a bat. They're the one of the main supports if the car rolls over, and can maintain the cars weight. 

Aight. You win. You need more than just one swing with the bat to break those windows. 

But what about interactivity in a game? It's not about how accurate it is but how it reacts to towards you as a player. It is not real life physics in GTA V that we are dealing with but the little details here and there make the game more interesting. 

Of course, there is no doubt that Rockstar have more experience/more employees.

2 hours ago, Katphood said:

But what about interactivity in a game?

That's kind of my point, had this been CP77 2, had CDPR a different group that was developing a racing game along side the main game it'd be sorted by now. It'll get there, give it time.

The main reason I prefer being on foot in most open-world (at least for a 1st run) is because I can't stand getting in/out, on/off, whatever riding option there is, 5000000000 times every time I want to look at/pick something up. Because I must find/pick up EVERYTHING.

Ooo, shiny!

The motorcycle is ok tho - at least it doesn't control like a tank in a grease-pit. I'll have to try the flying bike fun. Will photomode still work during?  :shifty:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

So they've got several different teams developing different games for the engine, so they have been able to draw lessons, if not damn well copy, the works of the other studios

And CDPR couldn't learn those as well? Not sure their lack of experience is much of an excuse.  The minimap making driving tedious is the biggest sin though :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

The minimap making driving tedious is the biggest sin though

The game is like a "very old person driver" meme simulator, so I won't miss those turns.

Brake, accelerate, brake, herky jerk, 20mph everywhere, baby!

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LadyCrimson said:

The game is like a "very old person driver" meme simulator, so I won't miss those turns.

Brake, accelerate, brake, herky jerk, 20mph everywhere, baby!

Fair enough, I suppose it is a good conditioner to drive super safely :P Is why every driver in NC is so courteous when you block a lane, they just patiently wait for you to get back and keep driving. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

And CDPR couldn't learn those as well? Not sure their lack of experience is much of an excuse.  The minimap making driving tedious is the biggest sin though :p

While I think copyright and "intellectual property" is unadulterated asinine bull**** that should've been done with two decades ago, 'corps for some reason think they should stay valid. They can't just copy over the work from another studio, while Rockstar had a team working on racing games.

The minimap is annoying as hell though, don't know what they were thinking there...

The memes are worth it tho!

20wq3n7owu461.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Katphood said:

Aight. You win. You need more than just one swing with the bat to break those windows. 

But what about interactivity in a game? It's not about how accurate it is but how it reacts to towards you as a player. It is not real life physics in GTA V that we are dealing with but the little details here and there make the game more interesting. 

That's the thing, Cyberpunk is way more interactive when it comes to conversations. The NPC's seem more diverse. You can wander around the stores and apartments and they are more detailed and fleshed out than in GTA. It's not a perfect game, but neither is GTA. They have very different focus points.

• Like 3

While I think copyright and "intellectual property" is unadulterated asinine bull**** that should've been done with two decades ago, 'corps for some reason think they should stay valid. They can't just copy over the work from another studio, while Rockstar had a team working on racing games.

Well, meant copying in features not literally copying - people's expectations change with devlopments as we see now.  Shame you can't look up the stats for the cars and view them in a less obtuse manner than searching your messages to find the car/bike's photo.

24 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, meant copying in features not literally copying - people's expectations change with devlopments as we see now.  Shame you can't look up the stats for the cars and view them in a less obtuse manner than searching your messages to find the car/bike's photo.

Sure, but you need the code to back it up :p

You mean like in the database or the info you get when you scan them?

16 hours ago, Katphood said:

As an aside, you can totally use your car's trunk to stash items.

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Sure, but you need the code to back it up :p

You mean like in the database or the info you get when you scan them?

Yah, but that's what you pay developers for to realize something you point at.  In theory, anyway. 😛

Yeah just if you scan them, would be nice to see that the car handles well, top speed, etc.  I guess they aren't too varied though.

Melee build is fun, well, except when I end up stuck after a pounce with the Mantis blades.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

I'm really damn impressed with the voice actress of female V. She's really, really good at expressing emotions in a believable way.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I'm really damn impressed with the voice actress of female V. She's really, really good at expressing emotions in a believable way.

I definitely find her VA one of the better aspects of the game, character wise.  Every time I watch videos or streams with the male V, I just can't take that VA's interpretation. He's not horrible, but it's so ... dull.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I definitely find her VA one of the better aspects of the game, character wise.  Every time I watch videos or streams with the male V, I just can't take that VA's interpretation. He's not horrible, but it's so ... dull.

I wholeheartedly agree after doing a bit of research.