Cyberpunk 2077

ShadySands

18 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

not withstanding that you don't want to play it on last gen console, is it any good ?

It's ok, about worth the price.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

29 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

not withstanding that you don't want to play it on last gen console, is it any good ?

Your mileage may very.

I mean, sure, I've sunk over 50 hours into it since Thursday, so I'm enjoying it. Then again, I'm using a fairly recently zoomed up PC so I don't suffer too much of the glitches.

It's atmospheric, it's got a sprawling city, it's got some mixed emotions to some of the side-gigs and assorted ups and downs. It's got a lot to engage in if you like that, but it is very much a first person RPG game, so don't expect a hyped-up shooter feel, or a car driving feel.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

@Gorgon TLDR:  Considering I didn't think I'd like this sort of game/setting at all, I think it's at least engaging enough so that, unlike a lot of games I've tried recently,  I keep turning it on almost every day, even if I don't spend a ton of time or doing much forward progress each short session. Make of that what you will.  :lol:

The early exploration aspect catches your interest, and you'll find plenty to do if you want to wander around outside of the main plot.  I've heard the main story (if you were to totally rush it) isn't much longer than most big title campaigns are these days, but all that side stuff and exploration and some options is going to extend that time by huge amounts (and multiple playthrus if you like it enough).

As someone who typically doesn't care much these days about story/writing depth or cutscene-ing, I'm not a very good judge of those aspects since I hardly pay attention as everyone's jabbering for long minutes (outside of lol'ing at one-liners....).  I'm more the is gameplay and other mechanics interesting/fun observer. Game has a sort of Fallout4 dialogue system where the given options are short and then what your chr. actually says doesn't always feel like it matches what you picked, which I don't like but whatever.   And those timed dialogue line choices (where the timer is like 5-6 seconds I swear) are annoying...

I think gameplay so far is nothing too special, especially gunplay (non-gun combat is more fun imo).  Outside of main plot missions, at least early on, a lot of time I feel like I'm simply roaming around whacking random-ish gang bangers for their loot and street cred points (hey, they keep running into my baseball bat, what can I do).  Which is funny but...I'm also starting to feel like the crafting and gear upgrade system is very basic and not terribly interesting.  There's different "color" loot but honestly if you just keep dismantling stuff and upgrade fave outfits/early guns periodically you'd probably do fine, at least on Normal.  Not sure about the skill/perk system, some things seem interesting/useful, many things are in that "your health/stamina/whatever regens 10% faster!" for a point spent, category.  I don't think there's any enemy level scaling either so if you grind a lot you might find general combat becoming way too easy at some point, where maybe only story and certain quest bosses might seem challenging (again, on Normal, haven't checked out higher differences, yet).

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Gorgon said:

It's not bad, but it's not finished, even if we ignore the bugs.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Kinda disappointed the Wheel of Fortune grafitti isn't russian roulette, really digging the tarot designs otherwise. Can't decide if The Sun or The World is my fav so far.
Really liking Panam and Claire is a treasure.

Got my first Legendary item, an outer topwear/jacket type.  Comes with a couple special stat thingies, but ... looks-wise, I like my cheap, plain, long coat better.  😕

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 12/12/2020 at 4:19 PM, Bokishi said:

Will run on low or medium 1080p. I do know someone with a GTX 970 though and it runs pretty bad on that

*Sad GTX970 owner noises*

But my PC is ancient by now and I rather expected needing to upgrade for Cyberpunk (CDPR appears to have taken ID Software's spot in : "new game means buying new hardware"-land)

On 12/12/2020 at 6:57 PM, Zoraptor said:

For anyone using a Ryzen CPU, looks like the game was compiled using Intel's compiler which 'accidentally' gimps AMD performance (no SMT usage being most common symptom). If anyone wants to 'fix' performance on AMD you'll have to do the AuthenticAMD <--> GenuineAMD trick which tells the game you're using an Intel chip.

Reveal hidden contents

make a backup copy of the game's exe, open the game exe in a decent hex editor, find

75 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08

and change to

74 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08

should work on any version, may have to be applied again after patches, if you don't know what you're doing you may have to verify integrity after stuffing up etc etc, and not my own work but shamelessly stolen off reddit

that literally changes the flag that tells the game whether its an AMD or Intel chip, for up to 30% free performance in CPU limited situations (so practically, higher minimums and less stutter rather than 30% higher average fps). I'd laugh like a maniac if that were the reason for the poor performance on ps4/ xbone, though at least the backlash there might be enough to stop anyone using Intel's compiler.

Heh, I thought that was fixed after that got out? I mean, I'd expect they'd get in trouble for stuff like that, legally...at least in some parts of the world...

15 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

They announced they would refund console users if they don't want to wait for patches/updates, along with an apology for not showing last-gen console gameplay so ppl knew what to expect and for not making it perform better in the 1st place. I suppose that's nice of them but I'm still kind of  :lol:

cyberpunk-apology.jpg

Ah yes, after they didn't give out console review copies and forced reviewers to review on PC...

Sorry CDPR, I like you guys, better than most, anyway, but you done goofed up. Not anywhere near as bad as nVidia going after Hardware Unboxed/Techspot, but well, nVidia hit rock bottom so hard the bottom fell out...

2 hours ago, marelooke said:

Heh, I thought that was fixed after that got out? I mean, I'd expect they'd get in trouble for stuff like that, legally...at least in some parts of the world...

Legally the settlement with the DoJ meant they just had to add a disclaimer to the compiler/ libraries. Gimping opponents' performance was OK- so long as they told people they were doing it (and didn't bribe people into using the compiler).

Should be noted though: perhaps unsurprisingly CDPR wasn't actually using Intel libraries (presumably like most/ all they use MSVC), though the reason for no SMT was perhaps equally as odd; they seem to have included a 3 year old code snippet intended for situations where SMT gives a net loss of performance instead of a gain.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marelooke said:

But my PC is ancient by now and I rather expected needing to upgrade for Cyberpunk (CDPR appears to have taken ID Software's spot in : "new game means buying new hardware"-land)

Look on bright side, there is such a large time frame between their releases.

The quest with the wannabe Jesus was pretty funny, nice quest that goes completely sideways.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Gorgon said:

It's very uneven so depends on what you are looking for.

Engaging story-line and interesting character interactions?
Yes.

Good open world to roam about with RPG mechanics?
No.

Heh, I wonder how long before they do put in some way to alter your hair style in game?   - "I can switch out my arms, my heart, I can replace chunks of my body with cybernetics as I wish... but I can't get a hair cut..."

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

Heh, I wonder how long before they do put in some way to alter your hair style in game?   - "I can switch out my arms, my heart, I can replace chunks of my body with cybernetics as I wish... but I can't get a hair cut..."

Probably as some free DLC in February which we will all worship them for.  Or maybe later in the inevitable EE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Raithe said:

I'd be much happier if they actually had fashionware, synskin and such. Get kind of jealous watching the people walking around the streets having all sorts of wicked mods that I can but dream of.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've seen people on Very Hard basically one shotting everything when level 25 or so - if they get headshots anyway.  So, yeah. They weren't even mega min-maxing, I think.  Edit: I've been whacking ppl who drop lvl 18 stuff with my bat and I'm not even lvl 6 yet. I do use a few potions tho.  🤪

Also, the hacking/breaching game pays out a lot eventually, if you like that stuff. All INT and whatever the other one is and you'll get all three all the time, which pays big. I hate mini-games myself but if you're good at them.  Edit: I do like that with the skill xp, it's a little forgiving re: where you spend points vs. your abilities.

Myself I'm not interested in buying the kewl cars so I don't see much need for money.  What do you use it for outside of buying gear from shops?

Edited by LadyCrimson

3 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Myself I'm not interested in buying the kewl cars so I don't see much need for money.  What do you use it for outside of buying from shops?

One of the two hookers in game ? 😛

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

One of the two hookers in game ? 😛

LOL. 
Not interested in that, either.  :sorcerer:

• Haha 2

Maybe next game I will try to make some sort of katana based build.  Maybe will get some sort of synergy bonus from a trenchcoat and fedora..

19 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

In a single-player game? Wasn't CDProjekt supposed to be the last bastion of the single-player game?

Oh well, gotta get on with the times I guess... :(

Witcher 3 had item rarity too?
Reminds of Skellige King Guy with much ado and ceremony gifting you not one, but three ancestral swords (for three different quests), which were all weaker than what I had and were promptly pawned off to his own blacksmith.

Anyone got any input for the I Fought The Law job?

I told the Peralez' that evidence is inconclusive, and I'm told I missed a BD that killed the mayor, but I'm not sure if I properly completed the job and it'll have a follow up or if I just cut it off there. Going by the genre I assume they're the ones who got the mayor killed, considering they had enough pull with the police to get you the first BD.