Cyberpunk 2077

ShadySands

For anyone using a Ryzen CPU, looks like the game was compiled using Intel's compiler which 'accidentally' gimps AMD performance (no SMT usage being most common symptom). If anyone wants to 'fix' performance on AMD you'll have to do the AuthenticAMD <--> GenuineAMD trick which tells the game you're using an Intel chip.

Spoiler

make a backup copy of the game's exe, open the game exe in a decent hex editor, find

75 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08

and change to

74 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08

should work on any version, may have to be applied again after patches, if you don't know what you're doing you may have to verify integrity after stuffing up etc etc, and not my own work but shamelessly stolen off reddit

that literally changes the flag that tells the game whether its an AMD or Intel chip, for up to 30% free performance in CPU limited situations (so practically, higher minimums and less stutter rather than 30% higher average fps). I'd laugh like a maniac if that were the reason for the poor performance on ps4/ xbone, though at least the backlash there might be enough to stop anyone using Intel's compiler.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Several of you seem to be quite knowledgeable about system specs and what may be the true minimum needed to run this game in a tolerable way. So ..., my desktop PC has the i7-5930K CPU (3.50 GHz), the GTX-980 with 4 GB, and 16 GB RAM. Is this enough to handle this game halfway decently?

My answer to this is always "define halfway decently" for you.  For me, at least, this is one of those games that runs ok even down towards 30fps, although minimally, imo 40-50fps is a far better/smoother experience so you don't dip below 30 in some spots.  I'd guess 980 would be a mix of Low and Medium at 1080, some things off, depending on your tolerance levels.  If you're wondering what pre-set "Low/1080" on PC looks like, something like this (first segment: 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

It's the one where the dong looks out of the pants.

Sometimes, that's not a glitch, that's just real life.  

*...scurries away*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 minute ago, ShadySands said:

Starting to hate Galaxy. I've had issues with every patch for this game and have also had issues with patching other games.

I stuck with Steam for this one because I really wanted to use the ps4 controller and my past experience re: GoG was that on average, they're a lot slower with patches.

What do you mean by patch issues tho? Installation/download problems?

I've got it through GOG and haven't had a single issue with Galaxy yet. The pre-load was fine, it had to update about 50 MB when release day happened, and then the big 580 MB  patch smoothly updated within a couple of minutes of me exiting the game yesterday.

Hm, I have to admit, the Athletics skill feels buggy experience-wise. I'm constantly running / sprinting to places and jumping up and around, and after 30 hours of gameplay involving lots of that I still haven't got my skill up to 4 yet. Compared to the others, which are (for the majority) nearly double that.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I was showing hubby the game a bit and ran around randomly punching people.  People standing distantly 150 meters away from me ran down stairs to flee, then stopped 20 feet from my position and did the cower position.  So I punched them some more.  Stupid people. 

Now I'm a wanted woman, apparently. Good to know.

• Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yep, patches failing to install. 3 times now I've had to install this game to get it working so I'm rolling with the offline installers and patches now and uninstalling Galaxy.

I've had problems with Galaxy too. Here's what I've leant from my now 6 years of experience using the platform: 1) Never pre download a game. To unlock the game Galaxy has to verify the game which can take as long as downloading to begin with. 2) They do something similar with patches. The data for the patch downloads first and then they alter the files within the game folder. This can take nearly as long as it would take you to download the game. 3) With a patch or unlocking game, even if the progress bar isn't moving that doesn't mean the game isn't still downloading. 4) Their servers are crap. Valve has a huge advantage here with the number and capacity of servers.

Here's what I do. I never pre download a game even if I preordered it. I wait until after the official release and then start downloading. If the file size is pretty significant and if it doesn't come out on a day I have off (which they don't because no one releases weekend patches), then if a patch starts to download after I boot up my computer when I get home from work, I have to except that I'm not going to get to play that game that evening. That, or I can pause the patch before it really begins, play as much as I want, and then set it to download over night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

My answer to this is always "define halfway decently" for you.  For me, at least, this is one of those games that runs ok even down towards 30fps, although minimally, imo 40-50fps is a far better/smoother experience so you don't dip below 30 in some spots.  I'd guess 980 would be a mix of Low and Medium at 1080, some things off, depending on your tolerance levels.  If you're wondering what pre-set "Low/1080" on PC looks like, something like this (first segment: 

Thanks! A low-medium mix of settings would be okay with me. The video you posted looks good enough. I do have a large 4K display, but don't mind if I have to go down on my graphics settings. I mainly would want the game to run without any stuttering or freezing because that is the only thing about graphics that aggravates me. And load times I don't care. I'm normally not a patient person, but weirdly I am okay waiting for my games to (re)load. :)

Everything I hear about this game makes me want to wait until it's bundled with dlc and $20.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I only got about 20 minutes in today. I wanted to redo the Pickup mission but I didn't have a save until after a certain decision so I decided to start over and try playing the Nomad start. I might go back to my Corpo game but my it save before that mission was like 3 levels and a dozen or so gigs earlier. Need to make more manual saves from now on as quick and auto aren't cutting it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm finding the early (and I do mean early) part of the game a bit too much of information overload.  I know, it's sad, I'm going senile or something - it's a little more than I want to "think" about it most of the time these days. Maybe I'll get an invulnerable hex edit and just punch my way around.   😛 

Does anyone know what those QT-like dialogue bit moments are for?  I've been assuming depending on ones you choose some outcomes, npc attitudes would be different? Sometimes I miss the timing and just end up with default silence. Makes me want to reload all the time to try each one.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Need to make more manual saves from now on as quick and auto aren't cutting it.

I find this game to be almost as bad as Death Stranding - it makes so many auto-saves (every 10 minutes?) and I'm constantly deleting a dozen or two at a time.  I much prefer making my own saves.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Galaxy was a pain for BG3 early access, though I wonder how much of that is Larian's fault. I think I've downloaded the whole ~60GB of that game several times now. Can't say I've had an issue with it for officially released games though.

There's work to be done on it of course, but it seems to at least bypass their manual installer problem of needing a large scratch drive to decompress to. It's absurd that after all these years it still just uses the default temp drive instead of prompting for a location when we're dealing with nearly 100GB of temporary space needed.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I am enjoying the game more than I expected, really. I was always a bit put off playing Geralt in The Witcher games, but so far this feels a lot more engaging from a story and character perspective. Bugs are one thing, but I don't really understand most of the other complaints. It is a pretty fantastic world to explore.

• Like 1

The dialogue system is nice, where you can have a conversation with two people at once. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have to admit, my tendency to try sneaking and hacking through most missions the Fixers ask me to do tend to result in not improving my Asssault/Handguns/Blades skills. So I'm roaming around for the police intervention stuff for the casual violence and get those skill points earned... ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."