Engoliero do Espirs - Soul Devourer: just enemy targets?

Does anybody know whether the Soul Devourer enchantment (and subsequent upgrades) only works on enemy targets?

I was thinking to use a figurine and summon a relatively weak creature at the start of combat to kill it quickly and turn the penalty into a bonus, which would make the Ravenous upgrade totally worth it (even in boss fights.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• AndreaColombo changed the title to Engoliero do Espirs - Soul Devourer: just enemy targets?

It works on party members and summons alike. 

It's also worth noting that the bonus (from Sated and Sated Ravenous Hunger) doesn't expire when the fight is over but seems to be active until next rest. At least when I tested it lately (a few days ago only) it wouldn't go away after fights but only after I rested. If you switch the weapon it will go to no bonus/malus - but if you switch back it's still Sated (+2 or +3 to the 3 stats).

Even if you put it into the stash and then get it back the bonus still gets applied. BUT if you give it to another party member they will suffer from the Hunger malus instead.

So - totally worth it if you don't hand it around all the time. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This is actually pretty amazing. Thanks!

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Using the Engoliero in my playthrough now. It seems that the Sated bonus stays on until you rest or the next combat encounter starts. Every time a new fight ensues, the bonus seems to revert to a penalty until your fist kill.

• Like 1

Really? Weird... I tested the blade again yesterday evening after posting the above - because I also thought that maybe a new combat would trigger the malus to reappear. I was in the Old City under the Gullet. I spawned several tiger and dummy encounters (which will trigger combat obvioisly) and every time the bonus didn't reset. Maybe "real" encounters have an additional trigger of some sorts?

Anyway: even if it resets on new encounters: the bonus is very handy for scripted interactions it would seem. :)

Also: you should be able to open combat from stealth with the bonus, right? 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods