Technology of KOTOR

Also my original response was about all the republic/sith soldiers carrying swords not the strength of shields or anything, and as i said the game explains that.

But that has to do a lot with shield efficiency.

I think that in the movies they definitely had shields with the ability to block solid matter (including swords of all shade, A-Wings, etc.).

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Also my original response was about all the republic/sith soldiers carrying swords not the strength of shields or anything, and as i said the game explains that.

I think that in the movies they definitely had shields with the ability to block solid matter (including swords of all shade, A-Wings, etc.).

Perhaps when refering to ship mounted shields but not personal shields. The Xwing strategy guide stated that there are two types of shields in use on starfighters. The kind that deflect energy, and the type that deflect solid matter. Personal shields probably act like the former not the later.

Perhaps when refering to ship mounted shields but not personal shields. The Xwing strategy guide stated that there are two types of shields in use on starfighters. The kind that deflect energy, and the type that deflect solid matter. Personal shields probably act like the former not the later.

Then we only have to find a reason why rebel soldiers and imperial stormtroopers don't fight with personal shields and ancient swords anymore...

Umm....Star Wars = Fantasy....correct?  This thread started good enough, but it seems as if some people are waiting for the Millenium Falcon to come and take them to a galaxy far far away....shesh.  ;)

umm thank you. main thing we talked about it. (obstructionist! :p )

And how about those Stealth generator's? Can't find those anywhere 4000 years later...

Well, the romans invented masonry only to be forgotten for another 1000 years ;)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

i'm not saying it does, i'm saying it would certainly speed up the destruction that is happening, also if i'm thinking of the same shot as you it dosent blow up the whole building just the top 5 floors or so?

besides as i said in my first post i'm pretty sure those stats are incorrect so it may well have a couple of turbo lasers but all those guns on the side cannot all be turbo lasers if it has grav well generators as well, they take huge amounts of power even on the Immobilisers 4000 years later so it couldn't support a large number of heavy weapons.

Theres also the fact that 3 laser blasts bouncing off a building wouldn't look very dramatic....

Have u considered the power source for these ships might be rakatan in design. Or atleast upgraded. And thus might somewhat feed off of the darkside. Thats a bit farfetched but it might have.

I'm talking about 2-3 beams tearing up a building (nevermind the poorly done mesh bomb over use, no offense bioware, it's just a bit too cheesy) 5 floors, 10 floors, it's blowing the crap out of buildings. A few dozen of these things turn a planet to dust. Who needs a deathstar? *which has some sort of laser that pops planets like baloons* :blink:

Note that no offense is intended

does anyone else think that the technology level in the game is nearly equal to the level in movies, considering the 4000 year gap this seems iffy

Advancements between this time period and 4000 years later during the Empire's time just aren't that frequent. I mean, how many advances in technology occured between the fall of the Minoans and the rise of the Roman Empire some 3000 years later? :)

Technology increases at an exponential rate. Comparint the tech they had in KOTOR, it should be skyrocketed 4000 years later.

Technology increases at an exponential rate. Comparint the tech they had in KOTOR, it should be skyrocketed 4000 years later.

Also, who knows, there might be an asymptotic limit on the curve of progression of technological advancements of society over time.

Adam Brennecke suggested that the advancement of technology might level off which seems more likely than it improving all the time.

Some have suggested that Egyptians had battery technology.  I kid you not.

and wasn't there a Greek (not sure on his name) who was very close to inventing the steam engine?

so yeah technology can be forgotten and lost.

A few dozen of these things turn a planet to dust.

well i believe at some point in the EU (forgotten where its from but..) 3 ISD's wipe out pretty much all intelligent life on some planet, so it's not exactly un heard of but the point of the Death Star was to keep systems sympathetic to the rebels terrified that the empire would use it against them so they wouldn't break away. And also theres the fact that planetary shields can block orbital bombardments from fleets of ships (see ESB) but not a superlaser......

I suppose the rakatan power thing is possible, would also explain why the other Republic ships seem so pathetic and un prepared to battle the leviathans.

Oh and while we are on the subject of technology being lost:

Naga Sadows ship had a set of powerful crystals on it which could be used with the dark side of the force to cause super nova's. Don't see none of that around later (well until the sun crusher anyway)

Holocron technology is lost long before the films as well...

so theres plenty of examples of technology being lost in SW.

off topic but I started the thread I reckon that some types of the sith ships must be unmanned for malak's fleet to so outnumber the republic's because the star forge was probably generating ships faster than the sith recruitment could fill them

Won't be that hard to make the ships unmanned. Like the droids, they can be programmed to be independent in a battlefield. Like robots.

The Sith ships are all of Rakatan design. The Star Forge was built by the Rakata, and all the ships and droids produced by it are of their design. The Leviathan appears to be larger than the Victory Star destoyers, and also appears to have much greater weapons capacity then it is stated as having. The Rakata reached their peak something like 15,000 years before Humans or any other group even really took to the stars, they obviously had technology that wouldn't be equalled until much later. The Leviathan class ships easily destroy the Republic war ships, which were at that time actual war ships unlike in the later Republic.

and wasn't there a Greek (not sure on his name) who was very close to inventing the steam engine?

so yeah technology can be forgotten and lost.

And you'd also affirm that sci-fi writers of today are very close to inventing hyperspace-jumps...?! Oh, and I think this will remain forgotton for a long time, too.

Holocron technology is lost long before the films as well...

The Holocrons have been lost, but not the Holocron technolody itself!

If devs claimed that they took their inspiration from Tales of the Jedi comics

they should also took the low-tech present in that series. Especially TOTJ starships look cool while KOTOR starships are a mere clones of Prequel designs. When I am reading Beast Wars of Onderon or Freedon Nadd Uprising I can really feel the technological distance of 4000 years. In KOTOR everything is too modern (not that I don't like modern look of KOTOR, it just doesn't fit into EU well) so I guess that devs simply disrespected visions of Gosset and Carrasco.

Ancient_Senate.bmp

vima_exishangar.bmp

post-1577-1094456994_thumb.jpg

nomi_ship.bmp

post-1577-1094458338_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094458440_thumb.jpg

Republic_Blockade.bmp

post-1577-1094459112_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094459141_thumb.jpg

Nomi___Ulic_onboard_Republic_Flagship.bmp

Ancient_Coruscant.bmp

post-1577-1094459577_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094459848_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094460126_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094460593_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094460942_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094461174_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094461214_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094461260_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094473085_thumb.jpg

Starstorm_One_arrives_to_Korriban.bmp

Streets_of_Krath_Cinnagar.bmp

Marka_Ragnos_Funeral.bmp

post-1577-1094475772_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094476150_thumb.jpg

Exar_Kun_discovers_1000_years_old_Sith_Starship.bmp

Krath_Corsair_launches_Droids.bmp

Public_Executions_in_Cinnagar.bmp

Republic_Cruiser_Trapped.bmp

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Nur Ab Sal --VERY NICE.

A couple requests:

Both from REDEMPTION.

1) The scene where we get our first real look at the aged Ulic from issue 1.

2) The scene in which Sylvar finds, confronts, and challenges Qel Droma to a duel from issue 5.

Not necessarily for technological reasons but for pure asthetics and so others could enjoy the artwork. I think Redemption was Gossett's best work.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

OK here it goes....

And a few comments:

-I wanted to remind great Tales of the Jedi comics - probably the most epic comics ever written. Today they are completely forgotten, except for hardcore fans like me.

-I agree Redemption has the best art of all dark horse productions. Gossett here is even better that Duursema herself! This is not ordinary comic pencil, this is art of higher level - like Magritte or Picasso!

-Carrasco only once raised himself to Gossett level in Golden Age of Sith which is awesome. But rest is terrible - especially Sith War

-only one flaw of Redemption is complete absence of my beloved Exar Kun but Ulic also kicks ass - especially when bitch Sylvar tries to kill him!

-and of course my main intent was to prove how bioware devs sucked the KOTOR starship look. In old tales comics starship are different from those in movies

but this makes convincing the 4000 year old distance and those starship are really cool and majestic! Not these pathetic sith fighters and republic TPM-like liners.Was it so difficult for bioware to get starships from TOTJ and convert them into 3D?

-I hope that you will now get better background of the Ancient Era you surely need

it before the premiere of SITH LORDS (curious how Onderon will look in that game)

and of course that you will raise your hands for those classic cool comics!

ulic_vs_sylvar.bmp

bureau_of_nomi_sunrider.bmp

post-1577-1094503297_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094503394_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094503471_thumb.jpg

Exar_Kun_enters_future_rebel_base.bmp

post-1577-1094503651_thumb.jpg

fear_not.bmp

post-1577-1094503820_thumb.jpg

Markets_of_Ancient_Coruscant.bmp

Brothers_farewell_themselves.bmp

Nomi_Innocent_Eyes.bmp

post-1577-1094504287_thumb.jpg

Master_Vodo___Diamond_Dealer.bmp

Nomi_Sunrider_walking_Cinnagar_Streets.bmp

Nomi_Vima_and_Master_Thon_resting_before_hard_times.bmp

Odan_Urr_1000_years_after_Great_Hyperspace_War.bmp

Old_Mushroom.bmp

The_Legs_of_Jori_Daragon.bmp

The_searchings_for_notorious_Mandalore.bmp

post-1577-1094505515_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094505528_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1094505553_thumb.jpg

Supreme_Chancellor_trying_to_stop_Exar_Kun.bmp

Ssk_Kahorr__ruthless_merchant_from_ancient_cinnagar.bmp

Nomi_ignites_the_lightsaber.bmp

Nomi_on_Coruscant.bmp

Nebulon_Ranger_leaving_Iziz.bmp

post-1577-1094506050_thumb.jpg

Nomi_during_Onderon_Campaign.bmp

post-1577-1094506198_thumb.jpg

Golden_Age_of_Sith.bmp

post-1577-1094506471_thumb.jpg

Ancient_Jedi_Mural.bmp

Aarrba_Ancient_Mural.bmp

A_Talisman_from_the_Past.bmp

Council_of_Sith_Lords.bmp

Exar_Kun_in_Cinnagar.bmp

post-1577-1115054935_thumb.jpg

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

my ancient history aint that good but I prefer this comparison: how about comparing the changes between 2000 bc and now?  The more advanced a civilisation is the faster it advances.  therefore sw should have advanced way quicker than this gap I wouldn't have minded a slightly less advanced star wars game

I dont know, if I had lived in ancient Greece and suddenly appeared in 1700's Greece I probably would not take that long to get acclamated. I mean people still plowed fields with their animals and raised the same olives and rode around on horses and all that good stuff and figuring out how firearms worked would be pretty easy to do...on the other hand if I was a 1700's Greek and suddenly woke up in 2004 I probably would suffer some kind of nervous breakdown as things have changed so radically. The last few hundred years have been the exception in human history rather than the rule.

Another example, if I was an ancient Phoenician Mariner from 2000 BC and suddenly woke up in 1840 AD the difference between my ships and the ships they are using in 1840 would be very different, but they are still using wind powered wooden ships. You could argue that in terms of sailing no vast jumps in technology occured between 2000 BC and 1840 AD (well there were cannons and the triangular sail, and better hull design and navigation but all those are refinements on the original Bronze Age technology-nothing a Bronze Ager couldn't recognize)

That was cool (atleast to this particular geek), Thanks.

I agree, the technological look of TOTJ is quite unique and very cool. And yes, the series was very epic in scale. (maybe too much so) It's got classic good vs evil. Betrayal. Wars across several star systems etc. But I liked Redemption the most because it was NOT epic. It dealt with personal issues. Issues arisen over the fallout from Exar Kun's war. You actually got to know about the individual characters as they deal with their personal demons, rather than doing things that will affect millions and billions of people across the galaxy.

Ulic Qel Droma - a great jedi who fell to the darkside and became the apprentice Dark Lord of the Sith to Exar Kun. Blinded to the force by his lover Nomi. He is trying to escape his dark past through isolation. Seeking a personal inner peace that continiously evades him.

Nomi Sunrider - Jedi and hero of the Exar Kun war. Master of Battle Meditation. She carries the weight of the rebuilding jedi order on her shoulders. As a leader of Jedi, she is burdened beyond belief, leaving no time for her only daughter Vima. The two great loves of her life met an untimely fate. Her husband murdered before her eyes and Ulic betrayed her, the jedi order, and the Republic.

Sylvar- Cathar Jedi. She is succumbing to her anger and teetering on the brink of the dark side. Her rage targeted at Ulic and how the other Jedi remain content with leaving him alone, rather than having him pay for his crimes. She feels that he is responsible for the corruption and death of her mate Crado.

Tott Doneeta - Twilek Jedi. After long years of fighting for the greater good of the galaxy, he is only now returning to his home planet, a planet that he felt he has neglected and has been far too long consumed with war.

Vima Sunrider - Now a teenager. The daughter of Nomi is strong in the force. She has a great destiny, but unfortunately, she feels neglected by her mother---who is always busy with matters of galaxy shaking consequence. She wants to be a jedi and so goes in search of the one she admired the most: Ulic Qel Droma. Though a fugitive, she remembers the Ulic who acted as a surrogate father to her, the noble jedi knight, and not the villain that everyone makes him out to be.

And how does this relate to KoTOR? Bastila was originally supposed to be Vima Sunrider. Now that would've been cool.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Seeing how devs destroyed the interesting figure of Bastila (first said that she's

unique and subtle and only, and then showed her as weak and vulnerable) it's good that they keep their hands in line from Vima. I would kill them if they showed

Vima in a similar way to Bastila (not to mention millions of idiots who enjoyed killing Bastila - they would enjoy killing Vima as well). No no Vima should be

a material for professional artists only - Matthew Stover for example not for

progrrramers (enough that they sucked the starship look).

post-1577-1126033304.jpg

post-1577-1126289811_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1126511619_thumb.jpg

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

• 5 weeks later...

The ships in KoToR were designed the way they were for very simple reasons. The vast majority of people who played KoToR have no idea who Exar Kun et al are and probably never will. The ships were designed to be reminiscent of those in the Original Trilogy, so the Levithan resembles a cut down Star Destroyer and the Ebon Hawk is resembles an older styled YT-1300 ala the Mellenium Falcon.

If you want to rationalise it however...

As for the advances of technology, War has always been a source of great technological advancements. So given that the Republic was supposed to have been fighting the Mandalorians in the fifty years between TOTJ and KOTOR I can imagine a number of advancements being made.

Military hardware has a history of starting to large and gradually getting smaller. Just look at American Warships of the past fifty years. On paper the Crusiers and Destroyers of the US Navy now are minows compared to the Battleships of the Second World War yet the modern generation of warships are probably a hundred times more capable. So I wouldn't really take size and out and out armament into consideration. Let's face it a Trubolaser circa BOY (-4000) is probably a popgun compared to a Turbolaser circa BOY.

Outside of that Technology has a habit of improving in fits and starts, and it's not always true that the more advanced a technology is the faster it advances. Cultures often go through periods of little or no progress (ala the Dark Ages) followed by preiods of rapid progress (ala the Renaissance). Considering the plot outline for KoToR II, it's entirely possible that the Star Wars Universe entered a period akin to the Dark Ages were technological progression was very slow, even to the extent of some technology being "lost" only to be "found" again thousands of years later. With the Republic trying to recover from the events of KoToR I and II and without a specific enemy to fight it's plausible that they would have had little purpose to advance Military technology to any major degree. It might not have been until the star of the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire that military technology became an important consideration again.