Killed immediately through SoT/BDD upon entering the room. Not sure what hit me cause it was TCS save and I can't see combat log after 'You have died.' screen. Is there any reason that would happen? I read on wiki before entering and and didn't see any abilities from the giant cave grub, cave grubs or grublings that would be cause for concern. I'm just confused what I did wrong there. 

I guess I'll turn off expert mode for next character or I'll have a million questions like this going forward.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Orlan for life.

wow that sucks dude. i have no idea what would cause that. Theoretically SoT/BDD stops any kind of death. Are you absolutely sure your buff duration was still up? It didn't momentarily lapse and you died in combat?

I don't suppose you have Vela (Hylea's Challenge) enabled or something?

The only SoT+BDD issue I've ever had was a soft-lock for an injury-related abilities that the ukaizo dragon uses. I've never seen a death-related issue. So consider it an extremely weird/rare outcome.

Edited by thelee

I believe if the giant grub grabs you there is a chance that it might swallow you which mean instadeath? I never had that happen myself though - maybe you need to be near death in order to trigger that effect or something. I usually only engage the giant grub with my tank and he doesn't get damaged a lot. Sometimes he gets grabbed - but after some wiggle-wiggle-wrestle then just gets slammed down for a bit of dmg. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Ivanfyodorovich said:

Do you know how many injuries you had? Some boss abilities add an injury without knocking you out. If you had 3 already and it hit with one more - poof. 

can't die from  injuries under BDD if I remember correctly

• Like 2

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

1 hour ago, Waski said:

can't die from  injuries under BDD if I remember correctly

this is correct

however, i think the game poorly handles excessive injuries. this is how i suspect i got my soft-lock - when i get a past-fatal injury, instead the game just locks me in the middle of the ability, as if it's trying to give me an additional injury but can't.

I had no injuries going into room and I took a phone call while I watched SoT do it's AI, so the timer was definitely good. Double checked BDD was active of course and immediately got intsa gibbed upon walking into melee range. I did not notice a gulp animation - just died to most likely the first melee hit.

Very strange indeed. I thought maybe a small grub debuffed me or something because I just had no time to react or analyze what happened, it was that fast. 

This one sounds like it might be a mystery, but I really do appreciate the replies. Going to do a play through without expert mode / ToI active and maybe I can replicate anything that may have gone wrong. If no one here has had an issue it's more than likely an error on my part.

• Like 1

Orlan for life.

So I have some great news! I died again at the Engwithan Titan on Poko Kohara this morning in almost the exact same fashion. Over 300 seconds active on my BDD. This time however I got a closer look at what happened:

- I had 1 injury going into fight (Fatigue)

- I did not die instantly upon entering melee this time (I had had taken care of the mage and was working on killing archers/armsman)

- Then, Titan used his pick up / slam ability which knocked me prone and applied a second injury (I believe it was Gaping Wound) 

- You have died screen appears.

My current theory is that when I was knocked prone with newly acquired second injury - it's possible the game thinks I have been downed (or knocked out?) for longer than 10 seconds procing my Berath's Challenge game over?

So I fired up my recording software and fought him again - but had no issue with second fight. This save file however is NOT ToI or Expert mode - so hopefully when I have time later today I can reproduce this (bug?) for you guys and we can actually diagnose this with a short video clip.

EDIT: Also, I was wrong in my first post about Giant Cave Grub yesterday as I realized during my play through today: I would have had fatigue injury going into that fight too from diving to get the second Conch - so my injury type and count should be identical with what I experienced today at Engwithan Titan.

Edited by depth

Orlan for life.

After going over the Engwithan Titan fight a few times - I realize it can't be compared to the Giant Cave Grub fight I had yesterday because the mage there uses Arcane Dampener. I was able to reproduce that death with video and it's obvious to me now that my buffs are suppressed when the Titan drops me on my head.

• Like 1

Orlan for life.

what challenges do you have enabled? since you mentioned beraths

fyi, i know you figured out the arcane dampener thing, but berath's shouldn't interact with knock out. in berath's challenge when you get knocked out, you get a timed debuff that causes you to permadie when it expires, so it distinctly differentiates from knockout. more to the point - if playing solo, you'd get a game over from being knocked out right away, regardless of the time left on the berath's debuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Something weird is up with injuries now and I really don't understand how it made it into the game, since it wasn't there at 5.0 release.

Whenever you have 1 injury minimum there seems to be a really high chance to die while under the influence of bdd.

It's almost impossible to figure out whats happening because of stupid instant you died screen and no way to pause in time or read log after.

If this persists I guess I'll record me play to see whats happening...

• Hmmm 1

• 3 years later...

If the giant grub grabs you, there's a chance it might swallow you, resulting in instant death. However, I've never experienced this myself. It's possible that you need to be near death to trigger this effect. I typically only engage the giant grub with my tank, so it doesn't take much damage. Sometimes it grabs the tank, but after some struggling, it just slams it down for a bit of damage.