Worth gearing companions not in party

Hey guys

This question has probably been asked before, couldn't find anything at first sight.

Does it help a lot to keep your companions geared? I mean the ones that are NOT in my party and are members of my crew for example.

Not sure about the impact of keeping them geared in boatbattles n such.

My apologies if these questions have been thoroughly discussed before, I work alot and only have time for about 1 hour max to play per day, can't always find the time to do all the necessary research.

Allthough I try to since I am amazed and very pleased to have discovered a gem of a game like this and Poe 1 in times where I didn't see this possible anymore.

I loved BG1 & 2, never like Divinity, NOR BG3.. I mean w t f, for some reason I find no fun at all in these titles.

Pillars of eternity tho! 😍

Thanks for you responses!

Edited by nars2k

In my two playthroughs, it did not seem to matter, but if you're playing on the hardest difficulty, it well might. For example, I never once had Mirke actually traveling with me in the party, although she was technically a member. Every once in a while, though, she was there in ship battles, and seemed to do just fine.

The ship battles part is why keeping everyone well equipped is a good idea. But in my personal case I always fully equip with the best available items all my companions, regardless of whether they are in my active party, in all party-based games. Optimizing equipment distribution across my companions, and also actually using equipment I find instead of just selling everything, is a huge part of my fun and enjoyment playing cRPGs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thelee said:

in berath's challenge i gear up and level my companions once i discovered that companions that help during ship fights can also perma-die despite them not being under your control 😮

You don't even need Berath's Challenge for them to die; Rafiq the Redbeard has an imp on board that can cast Death Ring (with upscaling) and permakill AI companions not in your party.

Edit: Crew members seem to be safe though, I once had Llendreth go poof from an enemy cipher's Disintegrate but he was just fine after the battle.

Edited by NotDumbEnough
  • Sad 2

On 12/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, kanisatha said:

The ship battles part is why keeping everyone well equipped is a good idea. But in my personal case I always fully equip with the best available items all my companions, regardless of whether they are in my active party, in all party-based games. Optimizing equipment distribution across my companions, and also actually using equipment I find instead of just selling everything, is a huge part of my fun and enjoyment playing cRPGs.

I do this too. I let every companion join the group, but I only use a fixed party. I don't really like switching teams in and out in RPGs. I think of gearing everyone up as payment for sticking around and guarding the ship. Also, I figure it reflects better on me as a leader if my followers are dressed to kill.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I generally keep everyone outfitted (for both active play and ship crew battles ) but when I send them to their cabin I may pull any of the especially good pieces they are using and pass them to active characters who can make better use of them at that time. I spend quite a bit of time redoing active characters with new gear as it arrives as well.

I really appreciate the fact that Pillars has streamlined this process in many ways - back in the original BG 1 - I used to "save" items for later "when I really need them" by stashing them in particular containers - a barrel outside the smith in Beregost was a main drop point in early play then later after opening the gate to BG City I actually spent 2 or 3 trips carrying the items  from Beregost to BG City where I would stash them in 2 barrels outside the Inn I used as a base - one barrel for a,b,& c items and the other for x,y,& z.

Of course most of these items remained there forever - never used - since there was no way I could carry them all off to the final battle anyway- 😁

• Like 2

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

On 12/22/2020 at 12:03 PM, wanderon said:

I generally keep everyone outfitted (for both active play and ship crew battles ) but when I send them to their cabin I may pull any of the especially good pieces they are using and pass them to active characters who can make better use of them at that time. I spend quite a bit of time redoing active characters with new gear as it arrives as well.

I really appreciate the fact that Pillars has streamlined this process in many ways - back in the original BG 1 - I used to "save" items for later "when I really need them" by stashing them in particular containers - a barrel outside the smith in Beregost was a main drop point in early play then later after opening the gate to BG City I actually spent 2 or 3 trips carrying the items  from Beregost to BG City where I would stash them in 2 barrels outside the Inn I used as a base - one barrel for a,b,& c items and the other for x,y,& z.

Of course most of these items remained there forever - never used - since there was no way I could carry them all off to the final battle anyway- 😁

Heh. I do exactly this myself. 😁

In Wasteland 2, for the first half of the game there's a quest to turn in scrap metal you get from breaking down weapons. For the second half of the game you're in another location and there isn't such a quest, but I figured I'd be a hero when I returned from my mission with 1000s of scrap metal pieces to supply the Rangers for years to come. To avoid spoilers, I brought home my mountain of metal, but there was a plot reason that this wasn't helpful.

Completely related, I really like the unlimited weight limit in PoE2. Saves me crawling across the world map with 5 encumbered characters and stashing things where I'll never find them again.

• Haha 1