The Collected Seasonal Holiday Doohickeys...

Raithe

As we slide into that period of so many seasonal holidays (even if a couple tend to take over), I expect we'll all have a few odds and ends to boost the spirit of the moment....

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I bought this boxed (dvd) set a long time ago. Came with a tentacle stocking too, to hang up at a fireplace for the Great Old One to bring gifts 😎

edit: A photo of my seasonal tentacle and songbooks with lyrics for sing-a-long Chtulhu Carols:
image.png.07addd795d19e0c370be72257f6b8137.png

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As much as I enjoy some Lovecraftian turns, I think

still makes one of the best seasonal songs....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tim Minchin... one of the best live shows I ever attended 💕

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bunch of edgelords in here. 😛

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Edit: also, this one  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When I was a kid, we would always belt out as a family the la-la-lalalala along with this song every Christmas.  Not sure what that says about us... 🤔

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I really have very few memories/nostolgia, let alone memento's, re: Xmas.  It wasn't that big of a deal in our house.

The two main things were running around with my siblings "catching" tumbleweeds that we would stack by three (we left them round like snowmen), spray paint white, and turn into our Xmas tree, and the electric train on a board that it was placed on.  I loved that train, had headlights and noises, a tunnel, etc.  I don't have any pictures of it tho - unless I pulled out some old slides of my father's and transferred them to digital somehow maybe.  But the sight of similar on TV or in stores always makes me nostalgic.  Oh and there was a nativity set we kids hand-crafted that mom set on the fireplace mantle every year. I have no idea who ended up with the train or that nativity set - it wasn't me.

By the time I was eight both bro and sis were in college and we stopped having any kind of tree altogether, outside of this tiny potted pine mom had in their bedroom.

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just some history bits...

"Yule or Jol (pronunciation: Yoh-l) was the time between the Winter Solstice and the "Yule sacrifice" Jolablot. So this celebration was likely to last from the Winter Solstice to the 12th day of January. Generally, this celebration included drinking feasting, songs, games, banquets, and sacrifices for the gods and the ancestor spirits.

There are similarities between the Viking Yule Celebration and the modern Christmast celebration

The Vikings had their Yule tree which inspired the later Christmas tree. The green tree was often decorated with small statues of their Norse gods, food, and clothes. They attempted to call for the spirit of the forests."

Merry Yuletide

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, Raithe said:

Whamageddon-e1578405978535.png

For what it's worth, I won. I mean, survived until the very end.

Not a single Last Christmas this year. But that's fairly easy when you're stuck at home and only going outside when you can't help it. :p

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.