Why? Whyyyy?.... Why are you still here (on these forums that is)?

Gorth

Got banned from everywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*adds to list*

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hm, so I joined in 2009, so I've been roaming around these here boards for 11 years. Time does fly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

To post a bit more on topic:

I think I came back after Sarge posted in one of our BIS/Interplay diaspora forums that tarna had died. My account still worked, so I logged on to pay my respects. Stuck around, unlike way back when. Why? That's a good question. I was on the verge of saying because all the other places died off, but that would come out wrong. It's not like I'm here because this is a leftover and there's no place else to return to (although Gorth inadvertently killed off the Winterwind forums with a post I think Josan misunderstood a bit in a rather emotional moment).

It felt a bit like going home for the first time in years.

Like all the other threads of this kind this one made me browse  through files that I've kept for 15+ years. Like tarna's MtG card, from a time when he ran his own forum (tarna's Coffee Shop) and was active at Ashford City.

IleDEx9.jpg

'Twas tarna talking about Andy (the quote on the card, I mean), one of the more persistent trolls of our age, in a thread long, long gone now where he claimed that Viet Nam is actually spelled Veit Nam and everyone's just getting it wrong all the time. Funny, I remember that thread clearly as if it happened yesterday, but I can't for the life of me remember what Andy's full user name was. It wasn't just Andy, I think. Or was it?

Does anyone of you know? Guess TNO was right. Time does indeed lay waste to all things.

Edited by majestic
Good, crapping is not on the word filter. Phew!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Some people check the news while having their breakfast. I browse these forums. The general gaming forum is fun and I get most of my gaming news from there... it's sort of a curated news site commentated by people I know not to be bots, hype bandwagoneers or 12-year olds. And I enjoy reading random stuff here in WoT -- learned a lot over the years. It's nowhere near as hectic as other online communities, but it's not dead by any means.

Obs being one of the few -if not the only- devs whose games I've consistently enjoyed over the years is another reason, obviously, though I don't really participate in the new subforums because of my policy of waiting 6-12 months from release before playing new games.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It does seem that the people that hang out here have remarkably similar tastes in gaming, which is infinitely more helpful than trying to sit through Steam reviews for a decent idea on a game. Despite that common bond, it certainly isn't an echo chamber in WoT.

• Like 1

Short-form: was playing Kotor2 and lurking the forums a while.  Eventually registered and started posting.  Been here off and on ever since.  Edit:  I was on the very old BG1 boards (with the threaded style posts) but I didn't really follow all the moves from there, outside of lurking occasionally, and I used another nickname anyway etc...

It was busy and fast-paced, and felt more casually social in some ways, in those early days (the WoT shenanigans back then...). There were days I felt like I practically lived here. :lol: I was a mod off and on a couple different times until I finally deduced I'd much rather be an ordinary forum peon instead - I was also absent for long periods two or three times.  These days sometimes I only lurk, sometimes I post a lot, sometimes I'm not very involved at all, but I always check in at some point.

As to why I'm still hanging around - some of the very long-timers may be gone but there are still some around, as well as plenty of "newer old-timers" that have become part of the community that I find fun and interesting and it's always nice to hear from/see now and then.  I tend to get most of my gaming news from here (and a couple other forums).  I like that some people at least vaguely "know my name."  I'm also old, and places like Steam forums etc. don't fit me very well, so I don't tend to travel very far outside of here and a few other places.  So basically ... it's comfortable, like your favorite t-shirt.  Or like hanging out in the backyard while talking over the fence with familiar neighbors.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, majestic said:

although Gorth inadvertently killed off the Winterwind forums with a post

Oops... :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I came here shortly after Alpha Protocols release, cheering for a sequel. Still am 😭

I've stayed over the years because I enjoy what people here have to say, I love hearing points of view from other countries and backgrounds, and as such I've grown quite fond of people here over the years. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

32 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I just realized I'm posting here for 11 years already. Dang long time.

16 here, but if you count BIS and Interplay 21ish.

😱

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Because there are still forum users who post questions'n stuff about PoE and Deadfire every day. :)
Mostly it's about the community in the PoE/Deadfire subforums. It's a great one.

The other reason was rectifying SonicMage's nonsense on a daily basis - but he seems to have left some time ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I was quite active on the BIS/Interplay forum because the IE games are what got me into playing video games. But BIS closing down so very suddenly and the cancellation of the original BG3 (and almost-cancellation of IwD2) all left me feeling rather angry and bitter and I walked away from playing RPGs for several years. That time-period coincided with my finishing up grad school and beginning my professional career, so that worked out pretty well as my job kept me extremely busy. The PoE KS campaign is what re-ignited my interest in RPGs, and also brought me to this forum as the successor forum to the old BIS forum.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, Boeroer said:

Because there are still forum users who post questions'n stuff about PoE and Deadfire every day. :)
Mostly it's about the community in the PoE/Deadfire subforums. It's a great one.

The other reason was rectifying SonicMage's nonsense on a daily basis - but he seems to have left some time ago.

Why, no, he didn't leave. @ComradeMaster  and @StupidSeal  are both still around.

I'm reasonably certain that both are SonicMage117, but StupidSeal more so than ComradeMaster. ;) 

I keep forgetting there are other forums below the Community section

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No surprise. Forum themes nowadays became so huge and you have to scroll a lot - most don't bother with it. Like, even Off-Topic is quite far away already. There was a time where you opened the forum frontpage and would see all the boards in one fine list. Now I have to scroll twice just to get to Off-Topic. Nah, I ain't got motivation enough to scroll further than that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 minutes ago, Lexx said:

No surprise. Forum themes nowadays became so huge and you have to scroll a lot - most don't bother with it. Like, even Off-Topic is quite far away already. There was a time where you opened the forum frontpage and would see all the boards in one fine list. Now I have to scroll twice just to get to Off-Topic. Nah, I ain't got motivation enough to scroll further than that.

It's not just that. I don't feel as if I have a lot to say about Pillars of Eternity for instance. I argued a bit against a couple of religious nutjobs that believed Obsidian were pushing a massive atheist, uhm, agenda with the ending of Pillars, but that was about it.

Not sure what changed, back on Interplay I was the most active poster in the Infinity Engine forums. By a lot. It's not like I can't talk about specific games for hours on end, but there's something about newer Obsidian games that makes me... not want to, and I can't figure out why.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, majestic said:

It's not just that. I don't feel as if I have a lot to say about Pillars of Eternity for instance. I argued a bit against a couple of religious nutjobs that believed Obsidian were pushing a massive atheist, uhm, agenda with the ending of Pillars, but that was about it

Good to know the PoE forums still have nutcases, have not been in there since I got suckered into the Kickstarter.