Politics US Edition Volume II

Amentep

https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-trump-supporters-destroy-gop-boycott-senate-runoffs-1549245

Definitely like Jonestown now, Revolutionary political suicide!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Guard Dog

clinton waivers... not clinton term. the us military independent granted waivers.

from an article you selective (bad gd. bad.) reference:

"The waivers granted by Clinton were to former Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall and to Elvera Burger, widow of retired Chief Justice Warren Burger. A third was to a District of Columbia police officer and Marine veteran killed in the line of duty, and the fourth to a Drug Enforcement Administration agent and Army veteran killed while on a mission in Peru."

the fifth were a subsequent tax court judge.

"Several veterans groups said they were satisfied by the secretary's explanation and added that they regretted the anger the accusations had caused among thousands of veterans.

""It would appear that the anonymous accusations that have been floating around were unfounded," said John F. Sommer, executive director of the American Legion."

btw, when it were discovered ambassador lawrence had lied 'bout military service, he were disinterred from arlington.

so find us the democrats who were supporting the notion o' political favors for arlington. so far your list o' political donors who maybe got the arlington treatment from clinton is reduced to one, and even he ain't actual in arlington.

am getting the newspaper ready again, 'cause gd never learns.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sure. Of the 69 names we got most of them were a no brainer.  One surely was not. Were there more? Some reputable news sources seemed to think so. No way to know. 

Of course what Trump is doing here, if he is behind this new “proposal” is as bad. Maybe worse because it is self aggrandizement. I think it likely is true.

Edit: Yes I knew Lawrence was gone. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

32 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Sure. Of the 69 names we got 68 of them were a no brainer.  One surely was not. Were there more? Some reputable news sources seemed to think so. No way to know. 

Of course what Trump is doing here, if he is behind this new “proposal” is as bad. Maybe worse because it is self aggrandizement. I think it likely is true.

what reputable news sources? the actual reputable news sources point out how there were no proof o' wrongdoing and even the veterans groups which were initial angered relented and admitted error... as we quoted from the tampa article.

so, one guy who lied to the folks in charge o' granting waivers (not clinton) and were subsequent disinterred. no support that democrats defended the policy o' selling arlington plots as you claimed. no support for any claim you initial made save that one guy, not granted a waiver by clinton, were a donor to democrat political causes and when his perfidy were uncovered, his wife dug up his bones and moved 'em to california. hardly the equivalency you were trying to craft, eh?

gd is indulging in trump's "some people say," nonsense. alt-right radio or his own wishful thinking has him creating whataboutism nonsense and then misrepresenting articles to prove a point he should not have made w/o double-checking facts.

bad gd, bad.

HA! Good Fun!

ps gd should read actual sources he supplied rather than simple attempting to compile a list which looks better than a single source.

https://www.deseret.com/1997/11/20/19346658/did-clinton-sell-plots-in-military-cemeteries

"The president and this administration consider Arlington National Cemetery and other national and veterans cemeteries across the country to be hallowed ground," White House special counsel Lanny Davis said. "It would be outrageous for anyone to grant or influence the granting of exceptions under the rules for burial at national cemeteries because of political or fund-raising considerations."

Davis said a report to be published in the Dec. 8 issue of Insight magazine, a publication of The Washington Times, was "based on anonymous sources and innuendo, not the facts."

the entire kerfuffle started 'cause o' an insight magazine article which relied on an anonymous source for details. not washington times & insight magazine. nothing wrong with anonymous sources, but the only additional reporting failed to find any evidence which were incriminating. the desert news and tampa bay articles don't genuine support your position and they offer not even a suggestion there were indeed additional political donors who were unjust granted waivers.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is absolutely no way to know Clinton’s level of involvement with Lawrence. Other than to note they were friends. Did Clinton do him a favor here? A phone call from the admin to the Pentagon could easily have gotten him in without too much attention paid to his record and without Clinton’s name attached to it. I don’t know. That is speculation.But as for saying it never happened at all  is like saying “There are no rats in the barn. Oh, except that one”.  

Now I will admit my memory of this whole thing, upon which my first post was entirely based, let me down here. I remember the story, the outrage that came from it and that there was truth in it. Not the specifics. I should have googled before posting not after. It was 23 years ago after all. But let me be clear here my recollections right or wrong are entirely mine. I was no more a fan of talk radio then then I am now. I don’t need someone to read the news to me and tell me what it means. I can formulate my own opinions.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

57 minutes ago, Malcador said:

https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-trump-supporters-destroy-gop-boycott-senate-runoffs-1549245

Definitely like Jonestown now, Revolutionary political suicide!

The sheer amount of cope from these people is the funniest **** I've seen in years.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I don’t know. That is speculation.

indeed. hardly the laundry list o' reputable sources which suggested there were more than lawrence. we end as we began-- your speculation backed by nothing save your belief that they are all bad.

no evidence whatsoever that the lawrence issue were other than a blunder by folks other than clinton as well as kinda compelling evidence the democrats o' the day did not support the sale of plots for donors scheme you claimed. 

whole lotta nothing... save one dead rat who faced the ultimate indignity, albeit in death.

this will not be the last time gd speculates and adds facts to his recollection to reach a conclusion which is little more than a minor variation on the, they are all bad theme you have embraced beyond reason. even when sources you supply reject your stated position, you tighten your grip on the basic premise that shapes too many o' your posts in this thread.

am here with the rolled up newspaper. will be here next time too.

HA! Good Fun!

double, but the michigan board o' o' state canvassers is streaming live... if delayed.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/23/will-michigan-certify-election-results/6388530002/

is s'posed at least one republican holdout, but am not even gonna try and make a prediction.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

is s'posed at least one republican holdout, but am not even gonna try and make a prediction.

I'm none too savvy on Michigan's political process. What kind of damage can one holdout do?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

3 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I'm none too savvy on Michigan's political process. What kind of damage can one holdout do?

one? mr. shinkle? no damage at all. however, if the other republican, mr. langevelde, also refuses to certify, then at the very least we got confusion...

however, mr. langevelde, the other republican, does not appear to be buying into the rnc arguments which claim an audit is warranted and demanded.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

one? mr. shinkle?

American flag gater pulled down around his neck while everyone else in the room wears a mask. Sure fits the stereotype.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Personally I think military service should be a requirement to be President. How can you be the commander in chief of something you don't respect or even understand? 

The commander in chief is a civilian, there's nothing constitutional about the President and mandatory military service.

It's like saying that all district attorneys should have to be cops before they become lawyers.

11 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

The commander in chief is a civilian, there's nothing constitutional about the President and mandatory military service.

It's like saying that all district attorneys should have to be cops before they become lawyers.

I didn't say it was Constitutional. I just said it was my opinion.

Thomas Sowell

11 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Were Johnson or Jorgensen in the military?

I don't mean this as a jab or anything. 

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

In that case, I think the president should have a doctorate.

1 minute ago, Achilles said:

In that case, I think the president should have a doctorate.

Only one candidate in this last election did. I voted for her!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Were Johnson or Jorgensen in the military?

I don't mean this as a jab or anything. 

Nope

Thomas Sowell

No US President has ever served in the Marines, interesting trivia.   Well I guess Air Force as well, Reagan served in the predecessor.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We were talking about this a little while back. Actually I think the specific discussion was whether any president ever “dodged“ the draft. I looked it up:

Let's see,

• Hoover was a Quaker and never served in the military for religious reasons
  • FDR missed WWI was was SecNav before becoming President. No draft in his day.
  • Truman served in the Army and National Guard as an artilleryman in WWI
  • Eisenhower was a career military man and the Supreme Allied Commander of Europe in WW2
  • Kennedy was a naval officer and PT boat commander in WW2
  • Johnson was too young for WWI and too old for WW2 so he never served but there was no draft.
  • Nixon was a Navy officer and served in the Pacific in WW2
  • Ford was also a Naval Officer and served in the Pacific in WW2.
  • Carter was a Navy man and Submariner. He served in both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets in the '50's
  • Reagan was an enlisted man in the Army when WW2 started. He was later commissioned and served in the Army Air Corps.
  • George HW Bush was a Navy fighter pilot during WW2.
  • Bill Clinton was given draft deferments for college. When his number was coming up he used influence from Democrat Senator William Fullbright to get an ROTC appointment he never reported to. He didn't actually "dodge" the draft. But he came real close to doing it.
  • George W Bush used family influence to get in the Air National Guard.
  • Barack Obama missed all the wars. The draft was over. He never served in the military.
  • Donald Trump got four deferments for college and failed the draft physical during Vietnam.  
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Only one candidate in this last election did. I voted for her!

technical this is wrong. trump don't have a doctorate, but biden, harris and pence all have JDs. juris doctorate. in most US jurisdictions it is possible to receive a masters o' law to satisfy the legal education education requirement. is a cheesy doctorate, but a jd is technical a doctorate.

gary johnson's highest level o' education were, we believe, a bs... not certain though. weld had a jd.

jorgenson, johnson, cohen and weld did not claim any military service.

HA! Good Fun!

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

technical this is wrong. trump don't have a doctorate, but biden, harris and pence all have JDs. juris doctorate. in most US jurisdictions it is possible to receive a masters o' law to satisfy the legal education education requirement. is a cheesy doctorate, but a jd is technical a doctorate.

gary johnson's highest level o' education were, we believe, a bs... not certain though. weld had a jd.

jorgenson, johnson, cohen and weld did not claim any military service.

HA! Good Fun!

That’s right I forgot about that. Johnson and Jorgensen definitely did not serve. As for Cohen in the military? That would be a laugh. It didn’t happen in my platoon but I heard of guys in Boot Camp who broke down crying and ended up washing out during forming week and early in First Phase. That would definitely have been himThat would definitely have been him

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

...but the michigan board o' o' state canvassers is streaming live... if delayed.

Chair woman just said they have about 500 more people waiting to make comments. I think I'll have to catch the rest of this later. Or wait for you to post the highlights :)

1 minute ago, Chairchucker said:

IMO the President should have to have been homeless at least once. How... what was the phrase? How can you be the head of something you don't respect or understand?

Presidential Candidate Simulator 2021 is going to have some amazing new features

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

IMO the President should have to have been homeless at least once. How... what was the phrase? How can you be the head of something you don't respect or understand?

Well if we ever amend article two and make the President commander-in-chief of the homeless I’ll agree with you

Thomas Sowell